Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My K900 run 245 50 18 wheel which unfortunately eliminates Nokian all weather tires as they do not, anymore manufacture that size ( with snow symbol) so I am forced to buy winter tires . I have searched winter tires and it seems that Falken's are far cheaper then any other snow tire. Consumer reports rates them in the top 50% percentile and much higher than many other tires .My question is has anyone had any experience with Falken winter tires or would you recommend or is it possible to say purchase 235 50
18's ?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm still confused as to why people buy snow tires. I've never needed them on my Cadenza. I'm in IN and of course we get snow, but if it gets bad enough I just don't go out. I guess if you live somewhere and you HAVE to go out when the conditions are bad I guess I get that, but I would also imagine if that were the case you'd own a truck or something with AWD/4x4. I don't understand why you'd plunk down over 1k to get slightly better grip when you can just drive a bit more intelligently (not to sound like a jerk).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still confused as to why people buy snow tires. I've never needed them on my Cadenza. I'm in IN and of course we get snow, but if it gets bad enough I just don't go out. I guess if you live somewhere and you HAVE to go out when the conditions are bad I guess I get that, but I would also imagine if that were the case you'd own a truck or something with AWD/4x4. I don't understand why you'd plunk down over 1k to get slightly better grip when you can just drive a bit more intelligently (not to sound like a jerk).
I live in Vancouver BC and commute about 6 miles to and from work each day .It does not sound like a lot of driving except it is hilly and the law in BC is that if you get stuck or pull over and block traffic without snow rated tires you get severally fined. Also my condo is at the bottom of a hill and I would have difficulty getting out and i drive a K900 with rear wheel drive so I am , unfortunately going to purchase snow tires the only question is which brand /.Thanks for the input and I didnt take it as sarcastic or otherwise :laugh

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I've owned Falken tires... They were all-terrain and they were good quality. They are louder on the highway then most, but for the price point, they're reliable and I trust them.

I have them on my K7 now, and while I don't have a need for Snow Tires, if I did, I'd probably look at them first.

My two-cents worth. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've owned Falken tires... They were all-terrain and they were good quality. They are louder on the highway then most, but for the price point, they're reliable and I trust them.

I have them on my K7 now, and while I don't have a need for Snow Tires, if I did, I'd probably look at them first.

My two-cents worth. :)
Great I appreciate that input . I don't drive much freeway so noise is not a big issue with me .I drove two Kia optima's before my K900 and the standard Nexen was really loud on freeways so Falkins certainly cannot be any worse

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Great I appreciate that input . I don't drive much freeway so noise is not a big issue with me .I drove two Kia optima's before my K900 and the standard Nexen was really loud on freeways so Falkins certainly cannot be any worse
Not any worse, no, but they are loud, anything over 55mph and I was hearing them. With the K7/K900 the extra sound dampening does help significantly.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
You have a choice at least with the 18" wheels on the K900. I have the 19" and tire rack doesn't even have them in our size.
I don't really need them here but would have purchased a set to drive to Denver.
Will use the cadenza for that trip in the winter.
Bridgestone , blizzaks

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was leaning to Blizzaks but Canada 1010 tires which is our version of Tire rack rated Falken higher ( marginally) consumer affairs rated Blizzak higher (marginally) . I would never drive our mountain passes in the winter so I am leaning toward Falkens only because they are $50 a tire less.. I drive usually no more than 300 klms a week and almost all is city driving but we have significant hills long grades not like San Fran mind you but without snow tires the cars tend to spin out and if they become stuck without snows subject to heavy fines. Thanks for your input If I see a sale on Blizzak I might be inclined to buy them

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW Gene My wife and I will be in Scottsdale in November for 5 days and March for 12 days we are staying near the Kirkland Center in fact we can walk there the greater Phoenix area is a great place to live except for July August and September :) About 30 years ago I was involved in a condo conversion on Chaparral and Scottsdale Road I ended up buying the unit that the star of Hogan Heroes Bob Crane died a few years before underr some very strange circumstances

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Maybe we can meet for a coffee while you are here. Are you bringing your car or not? flying sure saves a lot of miles, and they are not good months to drive way down here.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe we can meet for a coffee while you are here. Are you bringing your car or not? flying sure saves a lot of miles, and they are not good months to drive way down here.
we fly( 2.45 minutesand rent a car at Sky Harbor I know the area so well I don't need GPS for the most part That November trip is my wife's 66th birthday present so I will need to sort of navigate around that maybe when she is having her done she likes one particular salon in North Scottsdale on North Thompson parkway and Frank Lloyd Wright Blvrd .Possible we will see closer to the time we are planning on being there .November 10th to 15th

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I ended up buying the Falkens ( my K900 are 245/50/18 on all 4 wheels ) and surprisingly they are really quiet for snow tires. . All in it was a smidgen over $1,000 which included installation, provincial rubber tax of $5.00 per tire, all sales tax and storage of the Hankooks and there installation fee and overbalancing fee. As an aside I love the fact they store my tires . I had a lengthy discussion with the tire guy at Canada 1010 on new tires and Rims ( will be buying new rims in the spring when I change over so I don't have to pay for double installation fees) and they are a Falken dealer( as well as as others) and he suggested I consider summer performance tires( Falken's ) rather that an all season ( which is really 3 seasons because they suck in snow) especially since I will be changing over in the spring . Summer performance gets way better handling than all seasons especially on hot pavement .I am not a fan of the Kia's OEM tire selection although Hankook are better than Nexens . By the time spring rolls around I will have 6 months on the snow tires so I can judge Falken's better .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts