Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I didn't see a guide on how to clean out the windshield wiper reservoir and the filter on the wiper fluid pump, so I'm going to make a quick and dirty guide!
This is for the 2014 Kia Cadenza, but could possibly work with other years.
I found that it was actually pretty easy to do this yourself, with the job taking about 30-45 minutes.
You'll need a floor jack (might not be needed, I will explain why later), a short phillips screw driver, a long flat head screw driver, lots of water to flush out a reservoir full of gunk that's probably at the bottom, a funnel and a couple gallons of water(if you don't have a garden hose).

To give you an idea, here's what my pump filter looked like after a quick rub down. Still full of gunk!!!

So in order to get started, you'll need to go to your right front wheel well. More specifically the wheel well liner that's in front of your right front tire. You're going to have to take off the wheel well liner that's held in with plastic clips. There will be a phillips screw with each of these. Depending on how big your tires are, you'll have to jack up your car in order to gain more room to work with. Use a flat head screw driver to pry up the clip while loosening the screw with a short phillips screw driver. Be gentle, they will be fragile and can break easily. Below is a picture of one of the clips.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

You'll notice that you'll only have to take off 5 clips for the front liner. Do not take off the clips behind the front right tire, that won't be necessary as the reservoir and pump are located just behind the front liner (in the engine bay). After you've taken off the 5 clips, you'll have to remove 2 more underneath the car. (Pictures below)

After you are certain that you have removed all clips, you can gently move the wheel well liner towards the tire to expose the reservoir and pump assembly. (Pictures below)

You'll notice from this picture that there is a loose wire connector, yours will be connected to the port on top of the black object that says Motor & Pump. The wire connector will have a clip that you'll have to push in, then pull up to remove the connector from the pump assembly. Move the wire connector up and out of the way of the pump assembly, as we will be removing the pump next and fluid will be pouring out, so we want to avoid getting any wires wet. Please take note of the orientation and how everything is connected before continuing...
Now... lets remove the damn thing! Behind the port that you just disconnected the wire from, there will be a clip inserted into a hole that is keeping the pump assembly from moving. Lift up on the white piece that's attached to the reservoir and pull the pump assembly gently (we don't want to pull it out all the way yet) you should be able to release the clip from the hole. Now that the clip is released, here comes the fun part! Fluid will come rushing out, so be ready for that. Pull the whole pump assembly from the Hyundai and Kia logo, and the whole assembly should release from the reservoir. Be gentle, as we still have the hose attached to the bottom of the assembly.

After removing the pump assembly, you will see the filter on the part of the pump assembly that was inserted into the reservoir. You can use a finger nail or a flat head screw driver to remove the pump filter. After that, you'll need to just wash all the gunk out of there, clean it, and put it back where you found it.

Now that we have the pump assembly removed from the reservoir, we can flush out the reservoir. I found it easy to just bring a garden hose around to the car, and from the top of the engine bay insert the garden hose just like you were filling up the reservoir with windshield wiper fluid. Let it loose to flush out any gunk that's left in the bottom of the reservoir. If you don't have a garden hose, you can get a funnel and pour a couple gallons of water down to flush it out. Be careful not to get anything else wet in the process.

Since you've gone this far, you might as well clean out the lines that feed your windshield wipers with fluid. They are located on the right side of the vehicle as well, just behind where the hood lift support is mounted to. (Picture below)

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The hose on the left side of the 90 degree connector is really easy to lose down the side of your fender. Use something to secure it while it's loose from the 90 degree connector. Ask me how I know. Nevermind, don't. 😅

The hose lines come loose easily enough by hand, just pull back from the connection. Again, be careful not to lose them. If you're having trouble getting it off, you can use a needle nose plier, just be careful to not pinch it too hard as it might rupture. After you have released it from the connector, you can run water down them or blast it with air to get rid of any contaminants.

Job is now finished!!! Well, sort of. You'll have to reverse the steps from here and put everything back. And of course fill up the reservoir with new windshield wiper fluid. Enjoy your clean perfectly working windshield wipers w/fluid!!

Any questions please ask in this thread! Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello! I didn't see a guide on how to clean out the windshield wiper reservoir and the filter on the wiper fluid pump, so I'm going to make a quick and dirty guide!
This is for the 2014 Kia Cadenza, but could possibly work with other years.
I found that it was actually pretty easy to do this yourself, with the job taking about 30-45 minutes.
You'll need a floor jack (might not be needed, I will explain why later), a short phillips screw driver, a long flat head screw driver, lots of water to flush out a reservoir full of gunk that's probably at the bottom, a funnel and a couple gallons of water(if you don't have a garden hose).

To give you an idea, here's what my pump filter looked like after a quick rub down. Still full of gunk!!!

So in order to get started, you'll need to go to your right front wheel well. More specifically the wheel well liner that's in front of your right front tire. You're going to have to take off the wheel well liner that's held in with plastic clips. There will be a phillips screw with each of these. Depending on how big your tires are, you'll have to jack up your car in order to gain more room to work with. Use a flat head screw driver to pry up the clip while loosening the screw with a short phillips screw driver. Be gentle, they will be fragile and can break easily. Below is a picture of one of the clips.
View attachment 7872

You'll notice that you'll only have to take off 5 clips for the front liner. Do not take off the clips behind the front right tire, that won't be necessary as the reservoir and pump are located just behind the front liner (in the engine bay). After you've taken off the 5 clips, you'll have to remove 2 more underneath the car. (Pictures below)

After you are certain that you have removed all clips, you can gently move the wheel well liner towards the tire to expose the reservoir and pump assembly. (Pictures below)

You'll notice from this picture that there is a loose wire connector, yours will be connected to the port on top of the black object that says Motor & Pump. The wire connector will have a clip that you'll have to push in, then pull up to remove the connector from the pump assembly. Move the wire connector up and out of the way of the pump assembly, as we will be removing the pump next and fluid will be pouring out, so we want to avoid getting any wires wet. Please take note of the orientation and how everything is connected before continuing...
Now... lets remove the damn thing! Behind the port that you just disconnected the wire from, there will be a clip inserted into a hole that is keeping the pump assembly from moving. Lift up on the white piece that's attached to the reservoir and pull the pump assembly gently (we don't want to pull it out all the way yet) you should be able to release the clip from the hole. Now that the clip is released, here comes the fun part! Fluid will come rushing out, so be ready for that. Pull the whole pump assembly from the Hyundai and Kia logo, and the whole assembly should release from the reservoir. Be gentle, as we still have the hose attached to the bottom of the assembly.

After removing the pump assembly, you will see the filter on the part of the pump assembly that was inserted into the reservoir. You can use a finger nail or a flat head screw driver to remove the pump filter. After that, you'll need to just wash all the gunk out of there, clean it, and put it back where you found it.

Now that we have the pump assembly removed from the reservoir, we can flush out the reservoir. I found it easy to just bring a garden hose around to the car, and from the top of the engine bay insert the garden hose just like you were filling up the reservoir with windshield wiper fluid. Let it loose to flush out any gunk that's left in the bottom of the reservoir. If you don't have a garden hose, you can get a funnel and pour a couple gallons of water down to flush it out. Be careful not to get anything else wet in the process.

Since you've gone this far, you might as well clean out the lines that feed your windshield wipers with fluid. They are located on the right side of the vehicle as well, just behind where the hood lift support is mounted to. (Picture below)

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The hose on the left side of the 90 degree connector is really easy to lose down the side of your fender. Use something to secure it while it's loose from the 90 degree connector. Ask me how I know. Nevermind, don't. 😅

The hose lines come loose easily enough by hand, just pull back from the connection. Again, be careful not to lose them. If you're having trouble getting it off, you can use a needle nose plier, just be careful to not pinch it too hard as it might rupture. After you have released it from the connector, you can run water down them or blast it with air to get rid of any contaminants.

Job is now finished!!! Well, sort of. You'll have to reverse the steps from here and put everything back. And of course fill up the reservoir with new windshield wiper fluid. Enjoy your clean perfectly working windshield wipers w/fluid!!

Any questions please ask in this thread! Thanks
thanks. that’s quite the description.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts