Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Cadenza into the dealer again today for yet another repair. The windshield wiper fluid quit coming out. I could hear the pump come on but no fluid was exiting the sprayer. Dealer said that this is from a pinched hose. Dealer readjusted the hose. FYI.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I had the same issue... took it in.. the windshield washer fluid in different climates will dry up and form into a gel... they have to drop the tank and flush the system out... not covered under warranty.

I asked what to use they said just use water.... then I said but when the car was new it has blue stuff in it. they said we know, it should just take water.

the flush costed me about $70,,, was not happy.... started using just water and it didn't happen again.... however now that I use just water there is a nasty greasy film on my window and ruined my $50 set of wipers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just curious, you can use water because you don't have top worry about cold. Here up in Canada that water would freeze for sure, so we have to use something to counter freezing. I guess in Texas you have to worry more about extreme heat drying up liquids than cold.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same issue... took it in.. the windshield washer fluid in different climates will dry up and form into a gel... they have to drop the tank and flush the system out... not covered under warranty.

I asked what to use they said just use water.... then I said but when the car was new it has blue stuff in it. they said we know, it should just take water.

the flush costed me about $70,,, was not happy.... started using just water and it didn't happen again.... however now that I use just water there is a nasty greasy film on my window and ruined my $50 set of wipers
I call BS on the "it should just take water" statement from the dealer. Mainly because I had this very same thing happen to my prior 2012 Sorento. The fluid I was using (RainX Green...that I had used for years in prior vehicles) quit spraying. Took it to my dealer, and they removed the bottle, cleaned it out and also cleaned the pump and screen...then it worked just fine...$90 later. They blamed it on "too much coloring" in the RainX fluid and cool temps out that caused it to gel. They even went as far as to tell me I should use Kia branded washer fluid to avoid the gelling. ???

After that, I started using the "Blue" washer fluid in the Sorento till I traded it. The cheap kind that you can find anywhere...Pep Boys, Target, etc. Never "gelled" or clogged again...

Not sure, but it seems that whatever pump/screen system that Kia uses is prone to easy clogging. The pump/screen system should not be so sensitive. There is nothing in the manuals specifying "water only". Plus, like someone said...water only tends to freeze...and that causes more issues!

Whatever the cause/issue, I use the "Blue" washer fluid in my 2015 Cadenza just to avoid any issues from past Kia experience.

On a side note, we also have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I continue to use the RainX Green washer fluid in...without any issues at all...no gelling, nothing. Works like a charm all year long. So...makes ya wonder...

·
Registered
796 Posts
I use some RainX stuff in mine that is good down to like -20f. I need it here in IN as with windchill we've been there already (actual temps just around 0 or a little below). It seems to work just fine. I put it in there near the end of summer so will see how it does next year.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I call BS on the "it should just take water" statement from the dealer. Mainly because I had this very same thing happen to my prior 2012 Sorento. The fluid I was using (RainX Green...that I had used for years in prior vehicles) quit spraying. Took it to my dealer, and they removed the bottle, cleaned it out and also cleaned the pump and screen...then it worked just fine...$90 later. They blamed it on "too much coloring" in the RainX fluid and cool temps out that caused it to gel. They even went as far as to tell me I should use Kia branded washer fluid to avoid the gelling. ???

After that, I started using the "Blue" washer fluid in the Sorento till I traded it. The cheap kind that you can find anywhere...Pep Boys, Target, etc. Never "gelled" or clogged again...

Not sure, but it seems that whatever pump/screen system that Kia uses is prone to easy clogging. The pump/screen system should not be so sensitive. There is nothing in the manuals specifying "water only". Plus, like someone said...water only tends to freeze...and that causes more issues!

Whatever the cause/issue, I use the "Blue" washer fluid in my 2015 Cadenza just to avoid any issues from past Kia experience.

On a side note, we also have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I continue to use the RainX Green washer fluid in...without any issues at all...no gelling, nothing. Works like a charm all year long. So...makes ya wonder...
I thought it was BS as well.. I did some reading up on this issue with other makes and have read some things like it. Im in Houston and in the summer time a drop of water will evaporate before it hits the ground. Normal summer temps are high 90's with an index into the 100's... im gonna try the rainX green out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts