Kia Cadenza Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
hi all,

just to update briefly...safe lite pulled the glass, my local dealership replaced the vin sticker, then safe lite put the new windshield in and the dealership inspected it.

something I noticed is that on my OEM windshield that kia installed earlier in the year, it had a 1x1 or 2x2 box in the bottom right corner of the windshield that showed the heated windshield wire. I do not happen to see this on the new windshield that safe lite installed. I can't remember, is it under the black moulding that wraps around the bottom of the windshield? can someone take a photo of theirs? I'd appreciate it!

something that sparked me wondering about this is when I was driving to/from work to power off some equipment after hours tonight. it's in the 60s here..relatively cool with a decent bit of humidity in the air because of rain and such around this time of year, so the windows get foggy. I drove with my front 2 windows down on my way into work, front and rear defroster on, set to about the middle for velocity and the temp was set to 72 or 74, I think....the rear windshield defogged quickly...my front windshield did too, except for the lower passenger side.

when leaving work to head back home, I decided to put the windows up, put the heat up to as high as it could go and put the velocity on full blast...it still wasn't not defogging a smaller portion of the passenger side front windshield. there was hot air coming out of the defroster vents in the dash on both sides....

I'm not exactly sure how the heated windshield works of how high up in the windshield actually gets heated. would not having the correct windshield installed cause something like seen in the photos below to happen?

some photos:

·
Registered
134 Posts
What year is your car again? I've never heard of any Cadenza's having an electrically heated windshield (like the rear window) before. Have I missed something? I will look at my '14 for the box with the wire when I get out of work, but my windshield has been replaced with a factory Kia windshield as well so who knows what I'll find.

As far as that area on the passenger side that doesn't want to defrost...I don't have that problem. Did you physically place your hand in that area of the windshield and feel the warm air blowing on your hand, hence proving the air is actually making to that portion of the glass? That would be the traditional way to defrost a window. It would seem to me that your defrost vent on that side is partially blocked and not allowing the air to hit that area of the glass. Again, I know nothing of any electrical heat in a front windshield...with the rare exception of heater grid lines on the glass in the wiper park location...semi common on minivans but not cars, and never heard of on ours as far as I know. In fact some manufactures go as far as having heated windshield wiper fluid to combat icy or frosted windshields (Cadillac and Mercedes have a few models), but know nothing about electricity in them. That would be new to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am pretty sure that my 2015 has heated wiper parks (just like my Lincolns did). I did a quick search, and I see it listed as a feature on other years, such as 2018. In the case of my LS, the aftermarket glass did have the heated wiper parks, but it did look different than the factory glass.
In any case, the heated wiper parks have nothing to do with your fogging problem. They only activate when it is below freezing (it is automatic, you can't control it), and they only cover the areas where the wiper blades are parked.
Along with checking for warm air flow where your windshield is fogging, also check the glass itself. If there is come contaminate on there, it could be causing your problem. I suggest that your try cleaning the inside of the glass. Invisible glass in the metal aerosol spray cans works best for me. (The IG in the plastic squirt bottle did not work well for me.) Use lent free clothes that have never had any fabric softener on them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What year is your car again? I've never heard of any Cadenza's having an electrically heated windshield (like the rear window) before. Have I missed something? I will look at my '14 for the box with the wire when I get out of work, but my windshield has been replaced with a factory Kia windshield as well so who knows what I'll find.

As far as that area on the passenger side that doesn't want to defrost...I don't have that problem. Did you physically place your hand in that area of the windshield and feel the warm air blowing on your hand, hence proving the air is actually making to that portion of the glass? That would be the traditional way to defrost a window. It would seem to me that your defrost vent on that side is partially blocked and not allowing the air to hit that area of the glass. Again, I know nothing of any electrical heat in a front windshield...with the rare exception of heater grid lines on the glass in the wiper park location...semi common on minivans but not cars, and never heard of on ours as far as I know. In fact some manufactures go as far as having heated windshield wiper fluid to combat icy or frosted windshields (Cadillac and Mercedes have a few models), but know nothing about electricity in them. That would be new to me.
mine is a 2016.

no, I just put my hand over the defrost vent on that side of the car...I'll check on that tonight when I leave from work.

I am pretty sure that my 2015 has heated wiper parks (just like my Lincolns did). I did a quick search, and I see it listed as a feature on other years, such as 2018. In the case of my LS, the aftermarket glass did have the heated wiper parks, but it did look different than the factory glass.
In any case, the heated wiper parks have nothing to do with your fogging problem. They only activate when it is below freezing (it is automatic, you can't control it), and they only cover the areas where the wiper blades are parked.
Along with checking for warm air flow where your windshield is fogging, also check the glass itself. If there is come contaminate on there, it could be causing your problem. I suggest that your try cleaning the inside of the glass. Invisible glass in the metal aerosol spray cans works best for me. (The IG in the plastic squirt bottle did not work well for me.) Use lent free clothes that have never had any fabric softener on them.
that was my next thought, that when the windshield was installed, some contaminent was left behind...although I have ran the car through the automatic car wash 2-3x since the windshield was replaced..can't hurt to give it a good cleaning with some invisible glass though, I suppose!

I should mention...this is on the outside of the windshield...when I run my wiper, it'll clear it for a minute or two before it reappears again..kind of weird.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi all,

just to update briefly...safe lite pulled the glass, my local dealership replaced the vin sticker, then safe lite put the new windshield in and the dealership inspected it.
What do yo mean “the local dealership replaced the VIN sticker”?
How was original VIN sticker removed? It’s not stuck to original windshield.
How does dealer make and reinstall new VIN sticker?
Sure, you have VIN located on the door post. On the hood and under the passenger seat (plus other places that the police know about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
What do yo mean “the local dealership replaced the VIN sticker”?
How was original VIN sticker removed? It’s not stuck to original windshield.
How does dealer make and reinstall new VIN sticker?
Sure, you have VIN located on the door post. On the hood and under the passenger seat (plus other places that the police know about.
the factory vin sticker was damaged when they did a warranty replacement on my windshield several months ago as a result of the leaking factory windshield seal: water coming in near emergency brake

·
Registered
134 Posts
Andrew, oh, on the outside! That's completely different. I think everyone here thought you were talking about the inside, lol. For the outside, I completely agree there may be just some chemical left behind but otherwise it's just glass, it's on the outside and it'll fog when the conditions are right...just the way it is. Mine does this over the entire windshield nearly every single morning for months in the fall (right now) and spring until the windshield gets warm enough to change the conditions where the fog won't form any longer. It's honestly very annoying but nothing I can do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Andrew, oh, on the outside! That's completely different. I think everyone here thought you were talking about the inside, lol. For the outside, I completely agree there may be just some chemical left behind but otherwise it's just glass, it's on the outside and it'll fog when the conditions are right...just the way it is. Mine does this over the entire windshield nearly every single morning for months in the fall (right now) and spring until the windshield gets warm enough to change the conditions where the fog won't form any longer. It's honestly very annoying but nothing I can do.
sigh...this one is on me. there's no issue...what was happening is my wife pushed the "dual" button and the passenger side of the car was trying to defrost/defog the window on its lowest cooling setting (60 degrees IIRC) while my side was defrosting/defogging it around 72-74..once I realized the driver side was blowing out hot air and the passenger side was ice cold, yeah, that quickly fixed it!

thanks for all of the replies, nonetheless!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I wanted to say what you have happening is probably because you weren't equalizing the glass correctly. Good on ya for owning it and sharing! We all can learn from the mishap! Glad you got the windshield fixed finally!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts