Kia Cadenza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is why I suggest that you push out on the windshield from inside, all along the edges till you find a place or place where it moves. You have way more faith in their diagnostic skills than I do. It's the bonding of the windshield. They've already written that off as a possibility, so they are not going to find it.

Note that (at least in my case), it was dripping down on an electronics module of some sort, which can't be good. I have the electronic parking brake, so there is no manual pedal there. If you have the manual pedal, there may not be room for the electronic module I am talking about there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
9 hours of unpaid diagnostics. "it's not the windshield"...yeah...right. The time an effort wasted didn't prove it wasn't the windshield, since you haven't removed the windshield to check the seal.

If they took the time to remove the windshield, they would see the problem immediately. My dealership gave me the same runaround finally got in there during a serious rain storm and grabbed the service adviser...showed him water pouring and he said alright, I concede, we will opt to replace the windshield, based solely on my request, he just forced it through. They had to order it, so like a week or so later, they got it in, had a mobile windshield guy come in, I dropped it off. He told me when I came to pick it up, it was clear as day once they got the old windshield out where the leak was happening. To note, my windshield didn't move in and out the way joegr suggests, but that doesn't mean much. Moving windshield means it's gotten real bad, mine was just bad, didn't move yet when you pushed on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is why I suggest that you push out on the windshield from inside, all along the edges till you find a place or place where it moves. You have way more faith in their diagnostic skills than I do. It's the bonding of the windshield. They've already written that off as a possibility, so they are not going to find it.

Note that (at least in my case), it was dripping down on an electronics module of some sort, which can't be good. I have the electronic parking brake, so there is no manual pedal there. If you have the manual pedal, there may not be room for the electronic module I am talking about there.

I had actually tried that a few months back and didn't notice any movement in the glass when trying..

9 hours of unpaid diagnostics. "it's not the windshield"...yeah...right. The time an effort wasted didn't prove it wasn't the windshield, since you haven't removed the windshield to check the seal.

If they took the time to remove the windshield, they would see the problem immediately. My dealership gave me the same runaround finally got in there during a serious rain storm and grabbed the service adviser...showed him water pouring and he said alright, I concede, we will opt to replace the windshield, based solely on my request, he just forced it through. They had to order it, so like a week or so later, they got it in, had a mobile windshield guy come in, I dropped it off. He told me when I came to pick it up, it was clear as day once they got the old windshield out where the leak was happening. To note, my windshield didn't move in and out the way joegr suggests, but that doesn't mean much. Moving windshield means it's gotten real bad, mine was just bad, didn't move yet when you pushed on it.

we're coming up on Monday so Kia has had my car for a full week now. I haven't heard any updates from them since giving them my car back again Wednesday afternoon when the water was leaking onto my foot. I suppose maybe they were able to duplicate the issue on their own...both on Monday & Wednesday afternoon, the water was leaking onto my foot as I was about to leave their lot to go home.

here's to hoping they decided to pull the windshield and either lay down a new bead of sealant or replacing the windshield outright...I'm going to try to get a free oil change & tire rotation out of them for the hassle of having me go back there 2x this past week..

I'll keep everyone updated!

·
Registered
740 Posts
The problem is 9 times out of 10 they will break the windshield during the removal. That's what they told me was the reason they didn't want to do it, because if it wasn't the problem, it would be an expensive troubleshooting step. My windshield is the Premium (with Lux), so it likely was the cheaper windshield, the Tech and Limited I believe there's something else going on with that WS, so it costs more then double what you would expect a windshield to cost. I don't know if it's the lane keep assist, adaptive cruse control, or the rain repelling layer on it, something makes it more expensive then the premium WS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree, with multiple people reporting it costs $1500 (including myself), it is way more expensive than anyone would ever guess! I don't know the reason either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They did have to recalibrate the lane keeping camera when my windshield was replaced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I called Kia today to get an update. They pulled the headliner and a-pillar paneling out of my car and can know duplicate and see the leak..apparently it's leaking on both the driver & passenger side...since I don't ever sit in the passenger seat, I never noticed it there...they're still not sure if it's coming from the windshield or the piece of paneling before the sunroof...go figure.. they have a 3rd party windshield company coming out tomorrow or Wednesday to do their testing and then we'll go from there..

I'll keep everyone updated..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
kia's 3rd party windshield guy came in to inspect my candeza today, he recommend replacing the windshield. the service manager doesn't seem to be too happy about it, seems to be the type that always has to be right...

anyways, they're sourcing the new windshield from their warehouse in Ohio since the one in New Jersey is closed due to covid-19, so 3-5 business days for delivery plus the installation. I'm thinking I'll get the car back next Tuesday-Thursday, at the earliest.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The lesson learned after the back and forth over the windshield on mine, the service adviser learned to trust my instincts on a lot of stuff. and we've had a great relationship since. Not that he was a bad guy, it's just that things got much better, and he really looks out for me now when the car is in. I joke with him, that if he ever leaves or moves to a different position that I'm selling my Cadenza because it's a long drive to that dealership and keep coming back because of him, the free oil changes, and the coffee is good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
finally picked my candeza up yesterday afternoon. the service manager showed me some photos of the factory seal once the windshield was removed and clear as day, there was a visible 1/8 to 1/4in gap or so in the seal on both the left and right side of the windshield...

apparently there's 2 other customers who bring their cadenza in for service at the same place I do that have the same issue...

kia had my car for a little over 3 weeks to diagnose & fix this d*mn problem..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
boy do I have a wild story for you all regarding this windshield replacement....................

when kia replaced my windshield under the factory warranty for the leaking seal, their installer damaged the vin plate - to me it looks like a sticker! when I picked the car up, I noticed this and mentioned it to my service advisor. he said it looks like it's just some sticker...ok, fine...I drive home and think nothing of it for months.....the windshield hasn't leaked 1 drop since, by the way...

rewind to last week. I'm driving into work in my cadenza when BAM, a rock hits the corner on my windshield REALLY HARD. at first I didn't see any cracking, but a few seconds later, boom, a 4-6in gap opened up. when I parked my car in the garage at work, I checked it out and sure enough, the rock hit the windshield and caused it to spider some....by the time I got back to my car after work later that night, it had opened up to 2-3ft long! the next morning, even larger. I let the car sit for a few days and just drove my wife's optima to work since she's working from home.....

My wife contact's our insurance guy to see if there's a deductible and see what is or isn't covered. We're totally covered with $0 deductible for a windshield replacement, if needed - it's part of our insurance package we got..cool! a day later I start doing the service request on safelite's website when it asks me if I have heated wipers or a heated windshield (or something along those lines)...unsure, I just left it where it was and requested that they call me the next day. before I had a chance to call kia to ask about that since they recently replaced my windshield, my insurance company called me and we finished the request for safelite to come out and replace the windshield.

My original appointment was scheduled for this past Friday morning but due to the heavy rain we were expecting, they pushed it back until Monday afternoon (today). ok, fine..no biggie. their tech calls me at about 12:55pm today to say he'd be here around 3. ok, great! I took my wife's car to work and parked mine in the driveway so there was ample room around it for their tech to do their work. shortly after the tech arrives, I get a call from my wife...

"uh, the tech is here and he wants to confirm that you still want this replaced today as the vin plate is damaged and he's not sure if it'll pass inspection or if it's even legal"....

after some back and forth with my wife and the tech, I asked if he could hang tight for a few so I could call kia. he didn't have any problems with that.

I called kia, tried to explain it to the lady who answered (I don't think she had a clue or was really confused)...I asked her if it'd pass inspection (here it will but elsewhere, unsure)...she then mentioned that legally that plate needs to be there...ok.......she took down my number, told me the service manager would get back to me. about 4-5pm comes around and someone from their office calls me...it wasn't the service manager (unless they've changed service managers from a male to a female since I was last there)..she wanted to call me before the end of the day to let me know where things stand...she said they've never had to deal with this at their dealership before (fair enough) and they're looking into it.

I explain to them that if the vin plate needs to be replaced and if the windshield would need to come out (it would, apparently), the likelihood of removing it without cracking it (it's already cracked anyways) and then reinstalling it again after fixing the vin plate issue is VERY slim, from what I know, and that it shouldn't be on me or my insurance to replace the windshield from this recent crack..

I know it's not going to cost me any extra $$ to get it replaced through my insurance, but I don't know if they have limits as to how many times a windshield can be repaired or replaced before a deductible needs to be paid..

I guess we'll see how it goes! they're supposed to get back to me tomorrow, hopefully...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow! What a conundrum! The dealer should have inspected the work after they had the windshield replaced (subed out or not) and fixed it before they gave it back to you. This falls squarely on the dealership in my opinion. A damaged VIN plate (or sticker) is not acceptable and may cause you problems in other states simply if you just get pulled over by the police! Some states when a cop pulls you over, the first thing they do is come scan your VIN plate in the windshield to pull up all your info. Here you will have a problem for sure! No one wants that!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'd think at this point, You should have the dealership do the whole thing. They should replace the windshield, this should no longer be a claim on your insurance. They damaged the plate, then sent the car on it's way. They should have addressed that issue then and there, and gotten you back to normal. It's like if they were doing an oil change and the tech dropped his gold chain down the oil fill. This wasn't your problem, but if they have to pull the valve cover or drop the oil pan or even yank the motor to get to the chain, they need to resolve that issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
agreed, all of this should be on kia...

I spoke to the lady who called me yesterday evening. their kia rep is out of the office until Thursday morning. she's going to call him early Thursday morning, find out the next steps and then get back to me. the way I see it, they need to fix the vin plate, replace the windshield and fix the two black pieces that fit around the bottom corners on the windshields..they keep popping out of place since the windshield was replaced.

I really should get some free stuff out of it too, perhaps some oil changes and tire rotations, maybe cover the cost of my emission & inspection (due the end of this month anyways), etc..if they take the car back and do end up replacing the windshield, they'll of had my car for about 4 weeks in total for this windshield debacle...

here's what my vin plate looks like currently...half of it is missing...heh
:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just to clarify, you said "should be on kia", reality is this should be on dealership. They botched the job, they pay to fix it. The only reason kia would be involved is to get a reprint of the VIN plate, but even that, the dealership will be paying kia for that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Completely agree with MadMax!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just to clarify, you said "should be on kia", reality is this should be on dealership. They botched the job, they pay to fix it. The only reason kia would be involved is to get a reprint of the VIN plate, but even that, the dealership will be paying kia for that.
yeah when I wrote 'should be on kia', I meant my local kia dealership who initially did the work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I'm still waiting on kia & my dealership on this issue...apparently the vin plate was ordered from kia like 2, almost 3 weeks ago now and I no idea why it's taking so long to get it in.... I called today..spoke to someone briefly who passed me off to the parts guy who then passed me off to another department who didn't answer their phone, nor return my call before the end of business today. :(

so not only is my vin plate screwed up, my inspection stickers ran out at the end of August and my windshield crack just keeps on spreading! sigh..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Covid...messing with the best of intentions...let alone the excuses. I hope you don't get in trouble for expired registration. Just a thought, if you get too worried about the expired registration, you should be able to demand a temporary tag from your dealership until they get your VIN fixed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
well, it looks like I'm having safelite replace the windshield in my cadenza on Wednesday on my car insurance's dime, then I'll try to get my local kia dealership inspect the car on Thursday or Friday...this seems like my only option right now to currently keep driving the car legally. the service manager at the dealership I go to seems to think 1) that they might be able to replace the vin plate without removing the windshield (I can't even stick my pinky down where the vin plate is so this is HIGHLY unlikely) or 2) that if they have to remove the windshield to replace the vin plate, that they can remove it and then reinstall it without cracking the windshield..this also seems unlikely. if that was the case, why didn't they do this when they replacing the windshield seal like 3-4 months ago? :unsure::unsure:

I'm about sick of dealing with this windshield issue, honestly..

21 - 40 of 40 Posts