Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not the only one that has had this issue. I've noticed that when my car is parked for the night and we get some rain, the next afternoon when I leave for work and I'm backing out on my driveway, water is spilling onto my pants/sneakers. it's not a lot, but it's still annoying and I don't believe water should be getting inside the cabin like this...

has anyone else had this issue? the problem I've had with the local kia dealership near me for other issues (I haven't taken it in for this issue yet) is that they won't do anything unless they can physically replicate the issue while it's in their hands..

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Has your windshield ever been replaced, and not sealed all the way around?
try running water down by the wipers but not on the windshield.
Then try water near bottom of windshield.
After that run water up near the top of windshield.
Do this on different days. If you can find where it is coming from
much easier for dealer to duplicate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has your windshield ever been replaced, and not sealed all the way around?
try running water down by the wipers but not on the windshield.
Then try water near bottom of windshield.
After that run water up near the top of windshield.
Do this on different days. If you can find where it is coming from
much easier for dealer to duplicate.

My car has the factory windshield in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Windshield in mine had to get replaced because of a leak around the lower part of the seal. Factory installed window, covered under warranty this was my saga thread:
https://www.cadenzaforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/32610-water-splashing-down-over-left-foot.html

thanks for the link. your issue is/was similar to mine - getting wet on the drivers side, just above my left foot by the e-brake pedal. I'll call my local dealership to have them look at it while they do my oil change and tire rotation here soon.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you read my thread, you'll see going to the dealership many times, telling them initially what I thought it was, and even told by an expert that it was from a wire i ran from the battery through the grommet in the firewall. All because they will inspect/diagnose, or take coffee breaks all day, it takes a unique situation to show it's leaking. I happened to be driving near the dealership during a torrential rain, pulled in, found my adviser, which needless to say, the adviser is your golden ticket, you get one that you can communicate well with, he will get things done for you that other customers can't...after that windshield st!t, he and i are tight, i tell him what I think it is, and he works from there and gets it done, even with that we still had to wait a few weeks for the windshield even. What I'm getting at...there are easier ways to get a windshield replaced... ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you read my thread, you'll see going to the dealership many times, telling them initially what I thought it was, and even told by an expert that it was from a wire i ran from the battery through the grommet in the firewall. All because they will inspect/diagnose, or take coffee breaks all day, it takes a unique situation to show it's leaking. I happened to be driving near the dealership during a torrential rain, pulled in, found my adviser, which needless to say, the adviser is your golden ticket, you get one that you can communicate well with, he will get things done for you that other customers can't...after that windshield st!t, he and i are tight, i tell him what I think it is, and he works from there and gets it done, even with that we still had to wait a few weeks for the windshield even. What I'm getting at...there are easier ways to get a windshield replaced... ;)
I'm taking my wife's car in for the inspection, oil change and tire rotation next week. while there, I'll mention to them that my cadenza keeps dropping water near the emergency brake when it rains out and that several people with cadenzas (I'll mention this forum) have all had the same issue and had to have their windshield resealed/replaced. I'll get them to run a hose on it if they need to. really, the burden should be on them, especially when a car is bone stock and has less than 20k on it...

nonetheless, I appreciate all of the replies in this thread. someone had sent me a PM earlier to mention that he's having the same exact issue in his 2014 cadenza and hasn't been able to replicate it while at his local kia dealership, but thanks to this thread, he's going to take it in again..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi @MadMax and @andrewjs18,

I have a 2014 cadenza and I have the same issue (water leaking at the drivers left foot under heavy rain) but after multiple visits to the dealership they could not replicate it and now the KIA preferred line doesn't believe me either. Can either of you provide some information on which KIA dealer performed the windshield replacement for you so that my service advisor can contact them and find out how they replicated the issue for you.

Andrew, I actually PM'ed you before about this issue a couple of months ago from a different username. Did you take your car to the dealer for an inspection? Were they able to replicate this issue for you?

Any help in this issue(how to replicate or which KIA dealer performed the windshield replacement etc,) will be massively appreciated. I have been to the dealership 4-5 times now and i am at my wit's end about this issue.

Thanks
Varun

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'll PM the dealership info. Man, you're inches close to the end of the full coverage warranty having a 2014. That is going to be part of your problem getting coverage. Again, the best thing you can do is plan to drive by the dealership during a rainstorm, call the service advisory have him meet you in their driveway...once they see water pouring down, they can't dispute it with a failed leak test...it's fukin leakin yo!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi @MadMax and @andrewjs18,

I have a 2014 cadenza and I have the same issue (water leaking at the drivers left foot under heavy rain) but after multiple visits to the dealership they could not replicate it and now the KIA preferred line doesn't believe me either. Can either of you provide some information on which KIA dealer performed the windshield replacement for you so that my service advisor can contact them and find out how they replicated the issue for you.

Andrew, I actually PM'ed you before about this issue a couple of months ago from a different username. Did you take your car to the dealer for an inspection? Were they able to replicate this issue for you?

Any help in this issue(how to replicate or which KIA dealer performed the windshield replacement etc,) will be massively appreciated. I have been to the dealership 4-5 times now and i am at my wit's end about this issue.

Thanks
Varun

Hi @Varun Bhargava,

I had my Cadenza in to get the backup camera replaced under warranty and then the general maintenance stuff done this past Wednesday morning. While there, I asked them to try to replicate the leak, mentioning that it's happened several times now and that others (mentioned this forum) have had this exact same issue as well and had to get their windshields replaced. They ran my car through their car wash 2-3 times, but unfortunately, like what you're dealing with, they couldn't replicate the issue.

I think the best way to try to replicate this issue is to grab a hose and run water around the windshield at different places and from different angles until you can try to "force" the issue and can help pinpoint it. The piping that runs to my hose is currently broken or I'd be doing this as well.. My car is up inspection in August so I'm hoping I can replicate this issue before then so they can replace my window, THEN install the new stickers..

keep us posted if you're able to figure something out! perhaps there's a spot on, or around the windshield, that is more problematic than others. I wonder if the sunroof could be a factor here too...

I'll PM the dealership info. Man, you're inches close to the end of the full coverage warranty having a 2014. That is going to be part of your problem getting coverage. Again, the best thing you can do is plan to drive by the dealership during a rainstorm, call the service advisory have him meet you in their driveway...once they see water pouring down, they can't dispute it with a failed leak test...it's fukin leakin yo!
I wish the leak was that easy to duplicate. I haven't had any water get in by the emergency brake in a few months now, and I'm not exactly sure how to replicate it yet... it's been raining a lot here in PA these past few months so I was hoping it'd be a common occurrence, as bad as that sounds...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Varun Bhargava were you able to get anywhere with Kia?

I haven't had any issues with water dropping down onto my foot for a few months now, but we've had bad storming here in SE PA the last few days. when pulling out of my driveway on Tuesday afternoon to run some errands, water dumped down onto my foot:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All,

I was finally able to get this confirmed by kia today when I took the car in for its normal oil change and tire rotation.

The tech ran a hose over the top of the windshield for about an hour without it producing any leak whatsoever. The car was sitting in their lot for about 2 hours after the water test before I picked it up.

Once I paid my bill and was leaving the parking lot with the car, I felt water drop down on my left foot. I immediately turned the car around and drove it back into the quick service bay and showed my service advisor the top of my shoe. He grabbed one of the techs who worked on my car that morning and they confirmed that there was water leaking down inside the car.

After the advisor spoke to his manager, he wanted me to bring it back on Monday and leave it for a few days so they have some more time to diagnose it and possibly replace the windshield if needed. I'd imagine that's what they'll end up doing.

They approved a loaner car for the time being.. hopefully it's something nice!

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress/outcome.

For anyone else having this issue, I'd recommend having kia do a water test and then letting it sit in their lot for a few hours before picking it up. It seems the issue we're seeing takes a while to start dropping water inside the car.

The advisor I usually work with mentioned to me that they also have a lady with a 2015 Cadenza that has her car serviced there as well but they're never able to reproduce the issue. Hopefully now they'll know what to do and get that lady taken care of..

·
Registered
37 Posts
From inside the car, push out on the windshield near the top, on each side and the middle. I bet that it will move outward some. I had that leak, and mine did. Then I pushed on it again to show someone else. The windshield popped out at the top by an inch or two.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From inside the car, push out on the windshield near the top, on each side and the middle. I bet that it will move outward some. I had that leak, and mine did. Then I pushed on it again to show someone else. The windshield popped out at the top by an inch or two.
No need to. My local kia repair center confirmed the issue and is going to take it in Monday afternoon for further diagnosis/replacement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I too, had the problem but only on rare occasion like a random car wash cycle in my '14 before I had to have my windshield replaced for another reason noted in this thread: https://www.cadenzaforum.com/forum/new-2014-cadenza-general-discussion-forum/37795-windshield-question-2014-kia-cadenza.html

Since the windshield replacement, it's not leaked again as far as I can tell.

As a side note to a comment above about easier ways to have your windshield replaced...note that our windshields are incredibly expensive! Like $1500 expensive! So, be sure you have a $0 comprehensive deductible or something very small before the possibility that something may happen to your windshield...just in case cause you never know when things could happen... :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kia called me this morning to tell me they were releasing my cadenza back to me. they did a bunch of leak tests, dumped a bunch of water over the windshield/cowl area of the car, took the cowl apart, elevated the front of the car, etc.,. etc., but couldn't get it to leak down by the e-brake area like it has been for a while now. the kia techline told them to run the a/c on high..to see if it leaks, even though all of that stuff is on the right side of the car. of course this wasn't the issue...

I sign their work sheet, give them the keys for their loaner and move everything over to my car. I start leaving the lot when the **** water leaks down onto my left sneaker, like it always does after it rains and/or when we've tried to duplicate the leak these past few times. I turned around and drive the car right into their quick service lane...show them my wet foot and the water on the floor mat. they call over their service manager, he gets down under the dash of the car and sticks his hand up inside the opening of the dash above where the e-brake pedal is...his hand is wet and he can feel the moisture but no one can figure out exactly where the water is trickling down from...

their tech manager is so adamant that it's not windshield seal issue...saying that if it was, it'd be easy to reproduce. I explained to him that several people on this forum have had the same exact issue and every one of them has had their windshield replaced, eventually....the ironic thing here is that they have 2 of us that get our cars serviced in their shop with the same exact issues, mine, a 2016 kia candenza and a lady with a 2015 candenza...

we're closing in on day 3 of my car being as kia with this issue. I'm guessing they'll have it another 2-3 days....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts