Kia Cadenza Forum banner

Turn off the key-not-in-vehicle beep

14K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Jessica098 
#1 ·
Is there any way to shut off that annoying 5 second long beep that happens when you shut all the doors and the key is with you? It's really embarrassing to run into the gas station and instead of a little chirp to remind you that you don't have your keys it's this 5 second long annoying beep. Is there any way to disable this feature?

#3 ·
Really? I thought that was a legal requirement for all of them. It sounds when you leave the engine running and take all the smart keys out.

It does seem like it's a separate horn for that, under the hood near the firewall. I assume that you could just unplug that horn, but I personally think that's a very bad idea.

#4 ·
You run into the gas station with your car running and doors unlocked? :/ That's how your car goes on a trip without you lol. Check the manual? I've never tried to turn it off personally.

#10 ·
This is many times the reason I leave my car running while I exit as well (AC or heat), whether at the gas station, home or wherever and the little horn makes its sound. However, at least it STOPS! I've heard cars that do not stop making that sound for as long as the key is absent! That's even more crazy!

Now, as joegr mentioned, I'm sure it's a little piezo type buzzer somewhere under the hood and most likely could be simply unplugged. You would still get the visual warning on your dash that the key was missing from inside the car. Legal requirement? I don't think so. More likely it was a move by manufacturers to protect them from lawsuits. Just like commercial trucks with back up beepers. My take anyway.

#12 ·
My other car has a code pad on the door. I can lock the car running (or not) with the key inside, and then get back in by entering a personal code on the keypad. I really miss this and I wish it was an option on other cars. There's a lot of piece of mind knowing that you can never lock yourself out.

#13 ·
Solved it...
behind the drivers side wheel skirt (fender skirt). Did it on the ground, turned wheel hard to the left. 4 screws along the mud flap, 2 fasteners, and I think there was one more screw up top. Also removed one screw under the rocker panel to loosen that up. Found that the square screw hole inserters had to be removed, put a screw back in, couple twists, pull the whole thing out with pliers. I found about 2 lbs of dirt behind this thing, so my MPG's should go up a small bit ;) . But yeah, once you pull the rear of the skirt down it's unmistakably visible. You could even slap a couple pieces of electrical tape over the siren opening, really mutes it down. But I wanted it fully disabled. Pulled the plug, and waterproofed everything so it wasn't risking a short. Based on what I saw my guess is that as long as the skirt is in place correctly water doesn't get up this high anyway. Last note, there is still the interior chime/whine but you can't hear that from the outside. Problem solved.

Hood Plastic bottle Gas Electrical wiring Cable

#16 ·
I have a 2022 Telluride EX and thanks to MadMax and "Miscellaneous guy" on YouTube, I was able to figure out exactly how to disable the exterior 5 second long loud key-not-In-vehicle beep on my truck. Link to Video is below. Still working on how to disable the plug that causes the interior beep. When I figure that out I'll share here. You're welcome in my Maui voiceHow to disable Key not in vehicle beep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.