Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious where I should be looking with my trunk switch on the trunk itself. Hasn't worked since I've owned it but the release on the dash and key fob both work. The switch is new,and by the looks of the wires it was replaced before.

Not sure if the problem might be related but the release on the dash for the gas lid has never worked either.
it's a 2015 cadenza premium

·
Registered
237 Posts
O,

I'm a little confused what you are asking so I'll go in the order you wrote. The trunk switch on the trunk itself is under the lip and on the right side of the trunk, not in the middle like one would expect. You say both the trunk button on the dash and on the remote work then you say the switch (I assume you mean the one on the trunk lid itself since the dash one works) is new and has new looking wires. So this statement would be lead me to believe you do know where the trunk lid switch is...? Your last sentence says the dash button for the gas door has never worked. I don't know how this is possible as it's the only way to get that door open to put gas in your car.

Reading it all several more times, maybe you're saying the trunk lid switch on the trunk itself is not working? Yet the trunk does open from the other switches so that would seem like the switch on the trunk lid is not connected somehow since it is new (assuming that was the one you were talking about). So maybe it's not plugged into the harness further inside the trunk? Obviously the electromechanical trunk release mechanism is plugged in and works so it's not related to this problem...if I'm understanding you correctly. I would check for voltage at the switch. Others on here have access to the electrical drawings for our cars and it would be helpful if you had the drawings for that switch to know what you are looking for electrically.

·
Registered
81 Posts
...Your last sentence says the dash button for the gas door has never worked. I don't know how this is possible as it's the only way to get that door open to put gas in your car...
There is a mechanical pull cord in the trunk to manually release the fuel door if the electrical release is not working.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, but he wouldn't be doing that every single time he needed gas!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O,

I'm a little confused what you are asking so I'll go in the order you wrote. The trunk switch on the trunk itself is under the lip and on the right side of the trunk, not in the middle like one would expect. You say both the trunk button on the dash and on the remote work then you say the switch (I assume you mean the one on the trunk lid itself since the dash one works) is new and has new looking wires. So this statement would be lead me to believe you do know where the trunk lid switch is...? Your last sentence says the dash button for the gas door has never worked. I don't know how this is possible as it's the only way to get that door open to put gas in your car.

Reading it all several more times, maybe you're saying the trunk lid switch on the trunk itself is not working? Yet the trunk does open from the other switches so that would seem like the switch on the trunk lid is not connected somehow since it is new (assuming that was the one you were talking about). So maybe it's not plugged into the harness further inside the trunk? Obviously the electromechanical trunk release mechanism is plugged in and works so it's not related to this problem...if I'm understanding you correctly. I would check for voltage at the switch. Others on here have access to the electrical drawings for our cars and it would be helpful if you had the drawings for that switch to know what you are looking for electrically.
Yes. Correct. Trunk does release by the key fob and also works with the button (which is how I open the gas door.. the emergency pull in the trunk since the button doesn't work) I did replace the dash buttons when I got the car as well as the button on the trunk lid, which looked like the previous owner replaced a well since the wires looked new and were spliced and wrapped in electrical tape. But with what I've replaced so far; it's made no difference

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but he wouldn't be doing that every single time he needed gas!
Unfortunately I do use the handle every time I get gas. Lol. I've been driving VW's the past 15 years as far as my primary vehicle so I'm quite conditioned and patient when it comes to little quirks. It's my very first Kia and it's no longer under warrantee. I had no idea these cars were made until I came across it, and I was sold within my first mile of driving it

·
Registered
237 Posts
So sorry you are having troubles with your car. Overall it seems these cars experience very few troubles. Just a few common ones like the leaking windshield and broken front springs but even those are mostly rare. I've not heard of the gas door issue before so I guess you're the lucky one, lol.

So, you have 3 problems? The trunk will not open from the truck lid mounted button, correct? The trunk will not open from the dash mounted button either, correct? Then also, the gas door will not open from the dash mounted button, correct? So, to me, it sounds like you have either a power + or ground problem with the dash mounted switches since neither will work. And, possibly the dash mounted trunk button also is in the same circuit as the trunk lid mounted button. Since both buttons have been replaced, I'm more inclined to lean toward a power (or ground) problem. Have you checked all the fuses in both locations? The trunk has it's own fuse in the dash under the gas door/truck switches. The other main fuse compartment is under the hood. Your manual has all the locations and descriptions but sometimes there are things connected to the fuses that are not listed. I'd start with the fuses then I would check the dash switches for both +12v and ground on the appropriate wires. They should be powered all the time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
...The trunk will not open from the dash mounted button either, correct? ...
That's not at all my understanding from the OP.
...but the release on the dash and key fob both work. ...
I'm thinking two separate problems.
1. Probably a wiring issue with where the wiring bundle flexes at the trunk lid hinge.
2. Possibly the solenoid on the fuel door release has failed, or the wiring going to it.

Both possibilities are very easy to troubleshoot and narrow down with a multi-meter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts