Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while going to my car in the parking lot at Angels stadium after the game my wife and I were walking behind a group of 4 men.

Getting close to my car we hear one in the group say "WOW, that's one of the nicest looking cars I've seen in a long time". As they got closer to the car the very same guy said "Oh, that's ONLY a Kia" and just kept walking.

Never looked at the lines of the car or inside.

It looks like a lot of people will be missing out on a great car because they see the name Kia.

Oh well, their loss and my gain to drive a car I don't see on every corner.

Guy

·
Registered
313 Posts
First of all, at the risk of pissing you off (if you're a Dodger fan)...GO ANGELS!

Second of all, I agree with you. The Kia name does bring with it a lot of preconceived negative notions that Korean cars (Kia and Hyundai) have garnered over the years by bringing cheap/affordable cars to the States, as that's the only market that they could hope to break into at the time. I remember (I'm in the collision/insurance industry) when the Hyundai Excel in the mid-eighties was a laughing stock as far as safety and structural integrity were concerned. Any time there was the slightest rear-impact, you could expect to see secondary damage at the bottom of the opposite windshield pillar. Very flimsy and well deserving of their poor reputation. It's a very different story today for many reasons. They (Korean products) have earned respect within the industry, but people (especially brand-snobs) don't have a clue. You are right, Guy, those who own them are the ones benefiting from the giant strides made in the intervening years. Give the brand five more years, more due-respect will be commonplace. What the brand-snobs don't even acknowledge is that many of the marques that had built so much respect are now descending to a point where they are only really separated (by cars once snubbed) by price and not so much quality. Truth be known, most BMW owners (for example, but not all) don't know where to put oil into their cars. No offense to any of them, but there are great items in any set of products that people buy only to show everyone that they can afford to overspend. Some of us recognize a good value, and if it might be as good as something costing twice as much, we are the winners.

I have owned two Kias (2003 Sorento and 2007 Spectra), I am a life-long died-in-the-wool car guy who has owned many vehicles, cheap and expensive. These two Kia were the most trouble-free of the bunch. I now own a $60,000.00 Tahoe that is, and has been from day-one, a nightmare. I will be happy and proud of my Cadenza (and my new Sorento)! You should be proud of that beautiful new Cadenza of yours, too!

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last night while going to my car in the parking lot at Angels stadium after the game my wife and I were walking behind a group of 4 men.

Getting close to my car we hear one in the group say "WOW, that's one of the nicest looking cars I've seen in a long time". As they got closer to the car the very same guy said "Oh, that's ONLY a Kia" and just kept walking.

Never looked at the lines of the car or inside.

It looks like a lot of people will be missing out on a great car because they see the name Kia.

Oh well, their loss and my gain to drive a car I don't see on every corner.

Guy
That must have stung.

Don't let that bother you though. I still consider Hyundai/Kia to be a pretty young company, but I can only see their brand get better with more exposure.

Kia is also making a lot of strides in offering more luxury vehicles. It's only a matter of time, till the mainstream and public opinion catches up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, at the risk of pissing you off (if you're a Dodger fan)...GO ANGELS!

Second of all, I agree with you. The Kia name does bring with it a lot of preconceived negative notions that Korean cars (Kia and Hyundai) have garnered over the years by bringing cheap/affordable cars to the States, as that's the only market that they could hope to break into at the time. I remember (I'm in the collision/insurance industry) when the Hyundai Excel in the mid-eighties was a laughing stock as far as safety and structural integrity were concerned. Any time there was the slightest rear-impact, you could expect to see secondary damage at the bottom of the opposite windshield pillar. Very flimsy and well deserving of their poor reputation. It's a very different story today for many reasons. They (Korean products) have earned respect within the industry, but people (especially brand-snobs) don't have a clue. You are right, Guy, those who own them are the ones benefiting from the giant strides made in the intervening years. Give the brand five more years, more due-respect will be commonplace. What the brand-snobs don't even acknowledge is that many of the marques that had built so much respect are now descending to a point where they are only really separated (by cars once snubbed) by price and not so much quality. Truth be known, most BMW owners (for example, but not all) don't know where to put oil into their cars. No offense to any of them, but there are great items in any set of products that people buy only to show everyone that they can afford to overspend. Some of us recognize a good value, and if it might be as good as something costing twice as much, we are the winners.

I have owned two Kias (2003 Sorento and 2007 Spectra), I am a life-long died-in-the-wool car guy who has owned many vehicles, cheap and expensive. These two Kia were the most trouble-free of the bunch. I now own a $60,000.00 Tahoe that is, and has been from day-one, a nightmare. I will be happy and proud of my Cadenza (and my new Sorento)! You should be proud of that beautiful new Cadenza of yours, too!

John
NO NO NO, We're Angels fans!!!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Okay then...GO ANGELS!!!!!

I lived about two miles from the stadium for years (State College and Lincoln). Moved up north in 1991. My daughter works at D'Land and I have a couple of sons in Temecula. I go down pretty often.

My whole family is bigtime Angel fans. My brother used to live next door to Brian Downing back in the day. I started going to the Big A the first season they moved to Anaheim from L.A. (Wrigley Field, not that one, I think in 1966) That shows what an oldie I am, I guess.

I just hope they can stay on the run they are on...I never thought they would get to .450 this season the way they've been going.

Later,

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I remember going to Wrigley Field with my Dad. We've been fans for ever too.

I always liked it when all the "REAL" Angels fans showed up after 2002 and didn't know anything about playing in LA way before the LA Dodgers.

We now have 4 generations of family going to Angel game.

Guy

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Then add K badges to it... It's the first thing I did to mine. It overcomes that initial DB response and inspires them to actually ask questions or dig further.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks good Will. I did the K badges and K5 on my Optima. I just finished putting on the CF K badge. Waiting on the K7 and 3.3 GDI emblems to arrive.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Will, You do have the K badges in your inventory? How about the carbon fibre? I will be ordering some when I'm closer to getting the car.

3D, I agree that the K7 3.3GDI badges are a plan, too.

John

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm really thinkin' that a classy carbon fibre rear deck spoiler would look nice on my (soon) platinum graphite. ...and maybe mirror covers.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Nice Jon!!!

Yes, we have them all in stock!!! I usually have a few hundred sets on hand at a time. Carbon fiber, we only have a few, but we're going to increase our inventory levels here shortly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Will, can you pm me price for 7pc carbon emblems for K7, I will consider buying, even though the car is down the road a bit...

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts