Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been following both the GV80 and G80 for a very long time, but until yesterday i hadn't put my hands on either. They are impressive vehicles. The GV80 I drove was the 3.5 TT AWD. It was about middle road with the features, but didn't have the upgraded 21 speaker system per the salesman. I am not 100% he got that right, but i will say it was only a modestly decent system, so I do hope he was accurate and that it wasn't the upgraded system that failed to blow me away.

Even the drive kinda didn't blow me away. Don't get me wrong, this is an extremely nice vehicle and I would consider myself very fortunate to own one. However I fail to see how the price point is so high. I could see the fully loaded Prestige being $60k, but it bangs out well above $72k, and with no incentives the dealers are actually marking them well above that too. I just didn't feel like these vehicles are worth that much, especially when their original goal has always been to be a cut above without the high pricetag...

The one thing I hated the most, if you go with a package like the Prestige it forced you into 3 row. The major issues with 3 row, not only is it just too small to consider that back row reasonable for adults, you eliminate any option for a spare tire. Trivial to some, but I will not give up that option. I don't care if it has a fix a flat kit, or roadside for 5 years. If I can get myself out of trouble by swapping out a tire on my own, I want that option still available.

Again i'm not so much saying that it isn't a great vehicle overall, I just couldn't justify that kind of money when I feel this underwhelmed. And the G80, I just kinda sat in it, ran the AC listened to the base stereo, and was even more underwhelmed because of the price. Final though, the GV80 is a great first try, but it isn't an home run if you expect consumers to shell out so much money.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My father has been looking at the GV80 for a couple of months as per my suggestion. While it is expensive, I feel that there isn’t much better for the price out there. His current Jeep GC summit was priced right in the middle of the GV80 lineup when he bought it, and the genesis is significantly nicer and more sophisticated. So while I agree the price is not a cause for celebration, the vehicles it compares with are most likely german and an additional 15-30k more. Also, as for the stereo, i agree, when I sat in the GV80 the stereo was good. borderline great, nothing more. I think that it is very difficult to get a stereo to sound amazing in a big open SUV as compared to a sedan. Again, my fathers jeep has a supposedly “great” stereo, but the stock speakers in my old ‘14 cadenza beat it out everytime. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now, I've tested the GC Summit in 2019, and the stereo in that beast was infinitely better then the one in the 2014 cadenza. I'm not sure how you could possibility draw the wrong conclusion. I essentially brought my own music and listened to the same song on the way to the dealership in my car, with an added 600 what 12" sub, and the GC Summit was just clearer louder and better overall. Summit had far more bass then the Cadenza without my sub. With the sub, I still think GC sounded far better. And it would be easier I think to add a sub in the GC what with less noise canceling, and power already brought to the rear. Another big thing to note, the GV80 battery is sealed in the trunk. If you open the container you void part of the warranty. Add to it the noise canceling is far to advanced to think you could add a sub without having to disable or override these features, which will likely void even more warranty.

Add to it the GC has air ride with on demand position selection, a tremendous offroad 4X4 ability than the GV80 could never compare with...AND the resale value on a GC summit is tried and true for over a decade. Guarantee it will retain greater resale value then the GV80 ever could, and fully loaded is much cheaper then the GV80 maxed out. The biggest issue the GC has is it is currently outdated tech overall, but the new 2021/22 L(3 row) and a 2 row will be on lots this year with ungraded tech that should put it back in play for luxury to beat even the GV80.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My fathers is a 2017, and unless they changed something, i’ve gotta disagree. I will say that in terms of stereo, it is much clearer and it does have more bass, but my entire family found that even at the “normal” sound preset, the bass was boomy and gave us all headaches. then again, audio is completely subjective. Both cars have ANC, not just the genesis. As for the air ride, it is nice (IF you go off road) but we’ve had it blow up (literally) sitting in our driveway 3 times now, each requiring a minimum of two weeks at the dealership with a dodge caravan as a temporary replacement, and the suspension in the GV80 seemed better to our tastes. My father also has the diesel, which is honestly terrible. he’s had that in for major issues dozens of times, and the entire inside of the car vibrates with it and rumbles, another headache inducer. And have you looked at resale values anytime in the last three years? my fathers has lost more than half of its value over that period of time, and you can’t even buy a 5,000 miles GV80 without paying for it at the new price (obviously it’s new so we can’t tell how it’s going to act resale wise.)

Anyways, until you’ve lived with one, please refrain from attempting to insult others on their opinions:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wasn't an insult, was my observation. Obviously both yours and mine are subjective, yours comes with some experience. That's a shame about the air ride 3 times down in a 4 year old truck. I've heard both good and bad with regard to the air ride, but that's a really bad experience for sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Any interest in the Telluride? They're really nice looking but it's insane what they're getting for them. My local dealership is selling them for almost $5k over sticker and can't keep them in stock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's both sad and great at the same time. It's great that the Telly & Pally are so good that many people want them, but sad that dealers are gouging so much. I'll wait till the mad rush is over before I get one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My sales guy was saying that if you pre-order the Telluride you can get it for sticker price, but if you wait until it hits the lot it'll be 4-5k over sticker. He was selling a used one for what it was selling for new. People are buying these up like crazy! As a side note, my wife and I went to pick up her new top-of-the-line 2021 Sorrento and while we were signing the paperwork people were calling the dealership asking if it was still available. Guess we just happened to be there at the right time - as soon as it hit the lot from the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts