Kia Cadenza Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

Registered
I completely agree. I have an "old style" Kicker amp (maybe 10 years old) that is rated @ 1000W bridged. The test sheet said it benched well over 1200W RMS! Nothing like those good old amps! Like you, it's way too big (power and physical size) to be used in my car...but it might find it's way onto another boat where it's free to push extremely hard!
That's impressive!!! The downside to the amps from back in the day...they drew a lot of power. I love the new Class D amps which are very efficient and a lot smaller. Just gotta wait and see how durable they are. Maybe if I get a second car and how I use the trunk isn't an issue, the Phoenix Gold amp will find it's way back into use. 馃榿 I loved how it performed, one I realized I needed to pay 2 subs with it. It literally ate single subs rated from 450 (Phoenix Gold told me that sub would handle it) all the way up to a Pioneer rated at 800 watts. When I finally talked to a tech at Phoenix Gold and he told me that the amp was too powerful, he suggested 2 of the 10 Xenon subs (450 watts each). Never had a problem after that.

Registered
Yes! They did (do) draw a tone of power, hence the rise of the big capacitors everyone had to add to their system just to even out the current flow! The new Class D amps are very efficient with the power they use and that makes them a lot smaller which is nice too.

I ran a pair of old style 12" solobarics on that amp and they always handled the full power. As I recall the solobarics were rated at 800w each and I was pushing the amp bridged at 1200 so the speakers still had some room to breath but it was super impressive being on that edge.

Registered
Yes! They did (do) draw a tone of power, hence the rise of the big capacitors everyone had to add to their system just to even out the current flow! The new Class D amps are very efficient with the power they use and that makes them a lot smaller which is nice too.

I ran a pair of old style 12" solobarics on that amp and they always handled the full power. As I recall the solobarics were rated at 800w each and I was pushing the amp bridged at 1200 so the speakers still had some room to breath but it was super impressive being on that edge.
I would have loved to hear that!!!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts