Kia Cadenza Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
TL;DR: It's a good thing our engines sound pretty good.

Alright, I finally got new tires. I went for the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack, and I've gotta say, it was definitely worth it. For reference, I came from a set of Continental SureContacts at about 1.5/32.

Pros:
-10/10 quiet on asphalt, 8-9/10 on good concrete, 7/10 on bad concrete.
-Very smooth riding.
-Wet, dry, and snowy grip is amazing. I live in Utah and I haven't had a struggle with grip whatsoever. I floored it mid-turn around a sharp onramp on a dry day, no loss of grip or squeal whatsoever. Grippier than those old SureContacts.
-Steering is noticeably lighter, could be a con, depends on your preferences.
-80,000 mile warranty.
-Sidewall looks are actually really unique in person and look really good. Tread pattern isn't the greatest looking but isn't nearly as bad as it seems online. For those who care about that stuff.

Cons:
-Not very soft over sharper bumps. On smooth roads they are fantastic, but potholes, bad manholes, and sharp road transitions aren't great at all. Comparable to, if not marginally worse than, my old SureContacts, which were sportier tires. Probably due to the 80,000 mile warranty.
-They tend to track along grooves in concrete roads. Not terrible, but if a section of concrete has deeper grooves, they tend to jerk the car around a bit. Only seems to be about 20% of the highways here in Utah. Might be fixed with realignment.
-Return-to-center is surprisingly worse. It's not that bad, but if you're driving slow on a flat road, the last 7-8 degrees of turn don't straighten out, any speeds above 10mph and it does fine. Center feel isn't as great as before, but not by much.
-I can hear all the stupid creaks and rattles of the interior now. :(

I took decibel measurements before and after on the same stretch of asphalt, not the greatest road (probably about a 7/10) but better than most around here.
SureContacts at around 3/32:
55 mph: 66dB
70: 71dB
QuietTrack:
55: 61
70: 62
(keep in mind I took the SureContact measurements about 2 months ago when it was still 75F +, tires tend to be quieter when its warm.)
Definitely a big difference, there are no high pitched noises whatsoever. Oddly, on concrete, the loudest *legal* speed seems to be around 40-45. After that it tends to taper off until around 80. (which I obviously haven't tested :p)

I'd recommend these tires to anyone who wants a very good all-season tire, as long as they don't have back problems or live in a place with good roads. They're near-silent, smooth, and have excellent grip.

·
Registered
855 Posts
TL;DR: It's a good thing our engines sound pretty good.

Alright, I finally got new tires. I went for the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack, and I've gotta say, it was definitely worth it. For reference, I came from a set of Continental SureContacts at about 1.5/32.

Pros:
-10/10 quiet on asphalt, 8-9/10 on good concrete, 7/10 on bad concrete.
-Very smooth riding.
-Wet, dry, and snowy grip is amazing. I live in Utah and I haven't had a struggle with grip whatsoever. I floored it mid-turn around a sharp onramp on a dry day, no loss of grip or squeal whatsoever. Grippier than those old SureContacts.
-Steering is noticeably lighter, could be a con, depends on your preferences.
-80,000 mile warranty.
-Sidewall looks are actually really unique in person and look really good. Tread pattern isn't the greatest looking but isn't nearly as bad as it seems online. For those who care about that stuff.

Cons:
-Not very soft over sharper bumps. On smooth roads they are fantastic, but potholes, bad manholes, and sharp road transitions aren't great at all. Comparable to, if not marginally worse than, my old SureContacts, which were sportier tires. Probably due to the 80,000 mile warranty.
-They tend to track along grooves in concrete roads. Not terrible, but if a section of concrete has deeper grooves, they tend to jerk the car around a bit. Only seems to be about 20% of the highways here in Utah. Might be fixed with realignment.
-Return-to-center is surprisingly worse. It's not that bad, but if you're driving slow on a flat road, the last 7-8 degrees of turn don't straighten out, any speeds above 10mph and it does fine. Center feel isn't as great as before, but not by much.
-I can hear all the stupid creaks and rattles of the interior now. :(

I took decibel measurements before and after on the same stretch of asphalt, not the greatest road (probably about a 7/10) but better than most around here.
SureContacts at around 3/32:
55 mph: 66dB
70: 71dB
QuietTrack:
55: 61
70: 62
(keep in mind I took the SureContact measurements about 2 months ago when it was still 75F +, tires tend to be quieter when its warm.)
Definitely a big difference, there are no high pitched noises whatsoever. Oddly, on concrete, the loudest *legal* speed seems to be around 40-45. After that it tends to taper off until around 80. (which I obviously haven't tested :p)

I'd recommend these tires to anyone who wants a very good all-season tire, as long as they don't have back problems or live in a place with good roads. They're near-silent, smooth, and have excellent grip.
Thanks for the feedback and great write-up, much appreciated! Awesome that you got sound level readings as well.

·
Registered
771 Posts
As far as the roughness over bumps, doublecheck the air pressure. I've found that on the Cadenza they recommend 33psi cold...they mean it. (it's 33 or 32, cant remember exactly). I have 18" custom rims and I find if the PSI get's above 34 cold, which translates to as much as 40 hot...the are a bit hard on the bumps. In the summer I will actually set them around 31 cold

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As far as the roughness over bumps, doublecheck the air pressure. I've found that on the Cadenza they recommend 33psi cold...they mean it. (it's 33 or 32, cant remember exactly). I have 18" custom rims and I find if the PSI get's above 34 cold, which translates to as much as 40 hot...the are a bit hard on the bumps. In the summer I will actually set them around 31 cold
I’ve got them at 32, they seemed to have gotten a bit softer after a hundred miles or so. Either that or I just got used to them. I rode in a friends car last night (which is less sporty than our cadenzas) and it was much harsher over bumps. I’ve just become spoiled by this car!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As a small update for those who care, i’ve found that i’ve gotten about a 7-8% drop in efficiency. Partly because they’re new, and partly because they’re fairly sticky

·
Registered
771 Posts
Could be overall weight of them compared with the used up tires you had on previously. It's possible just in tread loss alone, the old tires were 2+ lbs lighter per tire. I will say, 8% is a pretty big drop though...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Could be overall weight of them compared with the used up tires you had on previously. It's possible just in tread loss alone, the old tires were 2+ lbs lighter per tire. I will say, 8% is a pretty big drop though...
That’s true, I totally forgot to figure in weight. I used to get 30-32 mpg on my long highway journeys, now I get 28-29. it’s not really that big of a drop. But hey, now it’s actually where it’s rated to be!

·
Registered
216 Posts
it is strongly recommended to strengthen noise barriers installation. Depending on your application, there are a variety of solutions. I recommend adding another link fence to the other side of noise barrier.
You're comment and associated web link have NOTHING to do with cars whatsoever! You should delete your post immediately! Otherwise I believe you are pushing SPAM

NOTE: Spam post was removed but I can't delete this post so I'm making the note.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I totally agree with Madmax. It's primarily the tires. And I had the same problem on my Sonata. The higher noise was on concrete highway sections. The tires both cars shipped with new were terrible! Couldn't wait for them to wear out just so I could get much better performing and quieter tires. Also, in the case of the Cadenza, I was not happy with how rough my tires were on the 19" rims so I also upsized the tires when I got the new ones and I couldn't be happier with my decisions! For reference I got General Altimax tires. Have always been a huge Michelin fan but for this car, the Altimax's were the best choice IMHO!
There is an old quote "misery loves company" The comments here have given me some ideas on how to, at lease dampen, the road noise I am getting on my 2019 Cadenza with Michelin 19" tires. I asked the dealer about how to give me a less "bumpy" ride on secondary roads of which I must travel.....the car came equipped with19" wheels and 240/40 tires...He and a secondary tire dealer that has much knowledge tells me there is not enough space between tires and inside wheel/tire cavity to go with a 240/45 tire which would soften the ride. I guess I will just "have to live with it"? What say ye?

·
Registered
771 Posts
If comfort is your thing, replace the rims with 18"s and a high quality quiet tire. I have the New Bridgstone Quiettrack on 18's/8.5. Very comfortable. I imagine 19's are going to make for slightly better performance, but a rougher ride. You can sell the 19"s on craigslist for like $400-500 for the set they will go fast.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There is an old quote "misery loves company" The comments here have given me some ideas on how to, at lease dampen, the road noise I am getting on my 2019 Cadenza with Michelin 19" tires. I asked the dealer about how to give me a less "bumpy" ride on secondary roads of which I must travel.....the car came equipped with19" wheels and 240/40 tires...He and a secondary tire dealer that has much knowledge tells me there is not enough space between tires and inside wheel/tire cavity to go with a 240/45 tire which would soften the ride. I guess I will just "have to live with it"? What say ye?
My car also came with 19" rims and the same 240/40 tire size installed. I didn't want the hassle of selling old/buying new rims so I researched for tires that were "comfortable", "quiet" and well reviewed on roads with harsh impacts. Harsh impacts are my largest complaint with the suspension on this car (and many others by Kia/Hyundai of the era...same complaint with my '11 Sonata). So I found the tires listed in my signature as my best choice back then and looked for the next size up profile (the 40 portion of 240/40) as the taller sidewalls will allow more tire flex on compression (hitting bumps). For that tire it was the 255/45 listed in my signature. I was worried the 255 width might be too wide and rub on full lock, but they do not fortunately. I knew there would be plenty of room for suspension travel (up/down). I also knew that my speed would be slightly off but that wouldn't bother me. For that particular tire it turns out to be 3-4 mph at 75. You have do a revolutions per mile comparison between what you have and the new tire being considered (in the specs of every tire sold).

Soon it will again be time to buy new tires so I have just recently started more research for the quietest, best riding tire to see if there is something new, better or that I missed last time. So far it seems the Bridgestone Serenity Plus are a crowd favorite and they come in 245/45/19 which will fit easily.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts