Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my windshield leaked, and the water dripped onto the display, and now the display won't come on, other than for 1 second every 3 seconds, when in reverse, so the display "works" but the module behind it is wet, per the dealer, and they want to replace it and the display for a cost of $3500. I found the module from a salvage yard for $50, but they still want $250 to install and program if for me. I'll probably just have them do it, but I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have installed many head units in my younger days, in much more simple cars, and wonder how hard it is to remove the dash parts necessary to access this module. i can't find anything online, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and can tell me if it's even worth considering doing myself. Especially since I'll probably still have to have them program this to my car.

Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I strongly feel they will still have to program the unit no matter who installs it. I do not have experience removing the dash nor the display but there are threads on here where (from memory) someone has replaced the dash speaker via removing the dash pad. I believe someone also replaced their head unit somewhere on here too.

·
Registered
851 Posts
What unit behind the monitor did you find at the salvage yard, the Telematics Unit (TMU)? I'm pretty sure that unit has nothing do with sending video to the monitor - the head unit does that. The TMU is what does the UVO functions, and primarily communicates to the head unit.

With the head unit being underneath the climate controls, I would suspect the problem is with the monitor - unless the water followed the wiring connector from the monitor down to the head unit.

I've got some diagrams for removing the head unit and monitor if interested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts