Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2015 Limited with only 12,000 miles. Love it! The strange thing is that it has every option but has a standard rear view mirror. Has anyone converted a standard to an electronic/compass/homelink mirror? I found a used electronic mirror with the mount and wiring but not sure how to install. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sounds to me like something's not right. Take a picture of the mirror...

My 2014 premium with Lux package has all the buttons, compass, rain sensing wiper sensor behind it...something isn't right. Like maybe the other one broke and previous owner just put a generic one on the window and called it a day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree! Except for white leather it has everything else. I noticed there is a notch in the front of the headliner like where a connector would go. I've attached a pic of the mirror. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, yes it does stink. I'm hoping what MadMax said is true as the wiring would still be in the headliner so I could just get connect the used electronic mirror to the wiring. Anyone know how to access the module in the headliner?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone Cadenza has a standard rear view mirror would you take a look and see if there is a notch in your headliner where it meets the windshield? If you don't then it will tell me my car originally head the electronic mirror. Thanks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
What I think you are dealing with is a Micky mouse rig job. Old mirror likely broke for whatever reason, and previous owner may have cut the wires and shoved remainder back into the headliner, As there's too much going on up there to fit those connectors and sensor back inside the HL. Those harness are likely very expensive, and run the full length of the headliner to the windshield pillar, then under the dash. The mirror is probably a couple hundred, plus the harness, plus labor if you're not interested in doing it yourself...could be a $600 repair at this point..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More than likely you're right. I have a used mirror with the wiring attached ($85) from a junk yard, pic attached. I'm hoping the wires that were cut are still up in the headliner and all they need is connecting. I'm thinking of trying a Kia body shop to see what they would charge to look at it and hopefully install.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wires were cut but still in the headliner! Wondering if I pull the control panel down from the headliner if it will allow me to connect the wires. Anyone done this? Thanks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
If all the wires are there, you may just need to splice in some extra wires so you can get all the play you need. Ideally the same color, but bottom line just line up all the same wires even if your splice is not same color. I'd also use a solder gun and plenty of shrink wrap to cover that stuff up. Use a hair dryer, not flame that close to the head liner and be be careful.

And of course, disconnect the battery before you get started. Also, I think you also need the windshield sensor for the wipers, that's not pictured...did you grab that from teh junk yard?

As to your question, I'd be willing to bet you are the first Cadenza owner to do this, at least publicly, wish you the best of luck. I hope nothing went wrong with those wires being cut. If they grounded out some part of the system there may be some fuses that need to be replaced. But it's also possible some circuitry boards got damaged if there was grounding of a hot wire...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just pulled the front of the headliner down and stuck my finger in the notch and felt the end of the cut wires. Understand the connections, hopefully the colors will match up as the mirror I have to replace the standard one came from a 2015 Cadenza. It has 7 wires. The auto wipers are working now so whoever did this didn't mess that up. I'm hoping I can just drop the "control box" out of the headliner and get to the cut wires. There are 2 screws in the sunglass holder and then you pull it toward the front of the car. I looked on Ebay for the control box and the pictures show to tabs pointing to the rear of the car so hopefully I'm right. Have you ever had to deal with the control box? Little scary to mess with it. Let me know if you have any insight please. I'll keep you posted on how things go...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SUCCESS!!!!! I didn't have to pull the headliner down other than right at the mirror. I loosened the 2 screws in the sunglass holder and pulled the control box forward and it came out easy. There are 2 connectors in the box that I disconnected and it allowed me total access to the cut wires. The wires were cut really short so I couldn't soldier them so I just used wire crimps. There are 7 different color wires and they matched up with my replacement mirror. I got everything connected and held my breath as I powered on the ignition and the compass came on along with the green light which I believe is for auto dimming at night. Still have to do the homelink but I've already seen a post on here about that. I'm PUMPED!! Thanks for all the help and encouragement! I did take a pic of the wires connected up in the headliner. Have a great weekend!

Steve

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts