Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had my '14 Cadenza Base Model since May '13 ... and have had the rear camera display malfunction two or three times during that period. A restart of the vehicle has always corrected the problem.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Only issue I have is starting the car, going into reverse quickly and the screen will flash to black and then flash back to rear view. This does cause a problem and I have to slow down or stop for a moment while the screen comes back. I think it is still booting up because it only happens when I do it quickly after starting up.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Anyone else have the rear camera stop working when the car is in reverse?
Someone just posted about this about a week ago on the forum here.

Only issue I have is starting the car, going into reverse quickly and the screen will flash to black and then flash back to rear view. This does cause a problem and I have to slow down or stop for a moment while the screen comes back. I think it is still booting up because it only happens when I do it quickly after starting up.
Oh wow, did not expect to see this with the Cadenza too. I though this was isolated to just my K900. This is the exact issue I'm currently dealing with. Kia did an update on our K900 and it did not fix the issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the issue with flashing too. It usually has no guide lines when I first hit reverse. When it comes back the second time, the lines are there and video adjusted for better quality in darkness.

Someone just posted about this about a week ago on the forum here.

Oh wow, did not expect to see this with the Cadenza too. I though this was isolated to just my K900. This is the exact issue I'm currently dealing with. Kia did an update on our K900 and it did not fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I have the issue with flashing too. It usually has no guide lines when I first hit reverse. When it comes back the second time, the lines are there and video adjusted for better quality in darkness.
Yeah this is a big deal if it is happening on the Cadenza's & the K900's.

You guys should contact Kia Corporate and file a case so that they can make this a big deal and address it across the board.

I currently have an open case right now with them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Mine does it as well. I attribute the behavior to how the head unit operates. I think the logic is this:

1. Upon start-up, the head unit boots. Boot sequence is complete once warning screen appears.

2. If put into reverse before warning screen appears (head unit is booted), reverse camera signal to the headunit is bypassed, and sent directly to the monitor (no guidelines).

3. Once headunit is booted, signal is passed through the headunit (that's why it goes momentarily black, and guidelines appear).

I've come to expect this behavior and plan my back-ups accordingly.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Mine does it as well. I attribute the behavior to how the head unit operates. I think the logic is this:

1. Upon start-up, the head unit boots. Boot sequence is complete once warning screen appears.

2. If put into reverse before warning screen appears (head unit is booted), reverse camera signal to the headunit is bypassed, and sent directly to the monitor (no guidelines).

3. Once headunit is booted, signal is passed through the headunit (that's why it goes momentarily black, and guidelines appear).

I've come to expect this behavior and plan my back-ups accordingly.
That actually sounds like it could be the cause. Regardless that should not be happening. I pay a lot of money for my Kia and it is a safety issue if I began backing up and the screen blacks out for a few seconds.

I am also having a completely separate issue where the re-circulation setting for the air keeps coming back on, all by itself. I will be driving with the AC turned off, and only inside air. (So nothing coming out of the vents)

Then it will randomly turn the re-circulation setting off and start blowing in outside air. Kia has tried to fix it now twice and cannot figure out to resolve it. Both of these issues really bug me.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
When I first got my cadenza, sometimes when starting up in garage mine would stay in the lower light condition. When I backed out side it would stay dim and not go to the bright screen. Had the update done on the car and it now goes to the bright screen with in maybe 10 seconds at most.
Always takes maybe 15-20 seconds for the navigation to load, but my rear view camera comes right on even if I don't wait for that to load.
I get the same as yooshaw on the warning lines, don't show till head unit is loaded.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had this screen change happen only a few times when I don't allow much time between starting the car and putting into reverse. I normally start the car first thing when I get, put on my seatbelt and then a few seconds later put it in reverse. This is typically enough time for the system to boot and everything to be ready when I need it. On the few occasions it did happen, the screen only went black for about a second and it wasn't long enough to cause an accident since I always use more that just the camera when in reverse.

The issue about the AC K5 is bringing up sounds more like the auto-dehumidifier doing its job. There is a sensor on the windshield behind the rearview mirror which constantly monitors the interior humidity level and will activate the AC and external air to reduce humidity and chance of the windshield fogging. It's not a very well documented feature of the Cadenza, but I'd bet money that's a feature of the K900 too and it's working just as designed.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The issue about the AC K5 is bringing up sounds more like the auto-dehumidifier doing its job. There is a sensor on the windshield behind the rearview mirror which constantly monitors the interior humidity level and will activate the AC and external air to reduce humidity and chance of the windshield foggings not a very well documented feature of the Cadenza, but I'd bet money that's a feature of the K900 too and it's working just as designed.
You may have misunderstood the issue I'm experiencing, however your response is not accurate. I am very familiar with the different features of the K900 as it is my car and I consider myself pretty tech savvy when it comes to understanding the many neat & technologically advanced features it comes with. No vehicle should automatically activate the air conditioning system on any circumstances unless it is set to automatic. The AC on my vehicle is also not being activated, only the vents are opening up as if someone reached up and turned the recirculation button off.

Both the Master Technician with Kia and the field tech rep Kia had come out to check it have confirmed it is NOT supposed to do that. They are escalating the issue all the way back to Korea as they have already attempted a software update that does not fix the issue.

We are in Southern California & where I live and commute there is little to no humidity at all. On the 25 mile drive home from the dealership, the vents opened up and outside air came in about half a dozen times, each time causing me to have to reach up and push the recirculation button again to close them.

This is definitely not "normal" or "functioning as designed". I really hope Kia can fix this soon as it's pretty annoying not being able to stop outside air from blowing through your vents while you're driving when everything is set to off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Totally hear ya, K5. What you were mentioning sounded like the progressive steps the Cadenza system tries to use for auto defogging - 1) activate outside air position, 2) blow air towards windshield, 3) increase air flow to windshield, 4) activate a/c, 5) max a/c. The manual mentions that if the user tries to override the auto defog it will override manual operation. Not trying to challenge your knowledge. Just didn't realize some of the back story. And I agree, if everything is set off, the logic shouldn't even be running.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Totally hear ya, K5. What you were mentioning sounded like the progressive steps the Cadenza system tries to use for auto defogging - 1) activate outside air position, 2) blow air towards windshield, 3) increase air flow to windshield, 4) activate a/c, 5) max a/c. The manual mentions that if the user tries to override the auto defog it will override manual operation. Not trying to challenge your knowledge. Just didn't realize some of the back story. And I agree, if everything is set off, the logic shouldn't even be running.
Thank you for your response, I apologize for sounding a little defensive. Yesterday was a bit rough of a day for us at the shop. This sounds like it does make sense, definitely not the issue I'm experiencing but again thank you for your posting it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just had the rear camera replaced last week. They said it was a short in the camera itself which caused it to flash constantly. Working good so far since the replacement.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Reviving a dead post here, but did anyone have their backup sensors freak out?

Starting this morning, when I put my car in reverse, my backup sensor freaks out and beeps showing full bars, but there is nothing behind me.

It was raining, so I was thinking reflection, but I wiped the sensors, backed into the garage and then tried it, still goes nuts.

I'm about to take it to the dealer, but I wasn't sure if there was a reset someone found or if I am the first?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts