Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All :

Been a while since I posted.... but here goes.

I was changing to my winter wheels a found the rear brake pads were totally done. I decided to change the rotors as well and ran into a real "wonderful" piece of KIA engineering. In order to take the rotor off, you have to remove the caliper bracket. One of the caliper bracket bolts runs right through the rear sway bar mount which DOES allows you the get a wrench in there but NOT to entirely remove the bolt. I tried to remove the rotor and the bracket together, but the casting around the wheel hub won't allow the caliper bracket to clear without completely removing the bolt, which is still locked inside the sway bar mount. Removing the sway bar bolt then causes that bolt's head to run up against the shock mount, again making it unable to be removed. Do I really need to remove the shocks to change a rotor ?

So this is like a going into the circle of hell just to change a rotor, typically a ten minute job !

Has anyone had to change a rear rotor and what did you do ?

Registered
What year Cadenza?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
2014, but I suspect the 2014-2018 will all be the same.

I also have the official KIA workshop manual which says to remove the rear shocks and the upper arm. Yes, you will need to take the lower shock saddle bolts but it's silent on the sway bar bolt. I had to abandon the disc change as I'd run out of time due to this unanticipated work so I've not actually completed the disc installation. I had to be satisfied with just changing out the pads.

That KIA engineer really needs to be taken to the woodshed for such ametuer design work.

Registered
30,000 miles, largely city driven.
If your rear (or even front!) rotors are "gone" by 30,000 miles, you have some sort of serious problems with your brakes! I only just changed out my fronts at 68,000 and my rear's still have tens of thousands of miles left on them.

Registered
How many miles is on your Cadenza?
I have 26000 miles on my 2014 cadenza, kia dealers tell me my pads need replacing, my regular neighborhood mechanic says no not yet, i Live in Brooklyn,ny, most driving is stop and go and i figure by 30000 miles I'll be ready for new pads ...Just saying

1 - 7 of 7 Posts