Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sunroof on my 2016 is rattling like crazy. I've brought it to the dealer 3 times now, and the first 2 times they've tried to convince me that they "fixed" it by greasing up the seals. Now on the third trip to the dealer I went on a ride with the mechanic and showed him how obvious the noise is upon every bump and turn the car makes. It's pretty apparent that the bolts that hold the sunroof to the frame are coming loose and need to be tightened, which will of course require dropping the headliner entirely to get to them to tighten. Now that the mechanic has heard it and knows what I am talking about, he agrees that this is the issue.

My dilemma:

The dealer just quoted me over $1,000 to do this, as he says that the clips will all need to be replaced in order to properly secure the headliner back on. $200 in parts for the clips, screws, whatever, and 6 hours of labor (at $135/hr).

Im half tempted to try this myself, but I am worried that if those clips do need to be replaced, I'll wind up in more of a screwed situation then I started. What I don't want is for something to go wrong, I cannot get the liner back on properly, and then wind up having to bring it into the dealership and then them try to say I messed it up worse and now they need to charge me double that or something.

Does anyone have any experience with this that may be able to offer some advice??

If I do decide to tackle this project myself, I will definitely take pictures and give updates along the way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No, you don't need to drop the headliner. No, it isn't the bolts that hold the sunroof together. Even if it is that, removing the headliner doesn't help at all with that. If you remove the sunroof glass on the front row, there is a small plastic bracket on either of the sides that is loose enough to rattle. I just removed mine, (it seems to serve no purpose,) lubricated it all, and make sure pounding and moving made no rattling noises. If you DO decide to remove the headliner, there is no worry of breaking clips as long as you are careful and slow. The small plastic piece is a part of the sunroof mechanism, and it won't be attached to the glass itself. My old Cadenza had the same, constant, irritating rattling noise that you are talking about. This fixed it perfectly. If you know what you're doing, it shouldn't even take you an hour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, you don't need to drop the headliner. No, it isn't the bolts that hold the sunroof together. Even if it is that, removing the headliner doesn't help at all with that. If you remove the sunroof glass on the front row, there is a small plastic bracket on either of the sides that is loose enough to rattle. I just removed mine, (it seems to serve no purpose,) lubricated it all, and make sure pounding and moving made no rattling noises. If you DO decide to remove the headliner, there is no worry of breaking clips as long as you are careful and slow. The small plastic piece is a part of the sunroof mechanism, and it won't be attached to the glass itself. My old Cadenza had the same, constant, irritating rattling noise that you are talking about. This fixed it perfectly. If you know what you're doing, it shouldn't even take you an hour.
Would you mind posting a photo of the spot where the plastic clip was? Mine is rattling and getting worse every day, to the point I don’t open it anymore.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would you mind posting a photo of the spot where the plastic clip was? Mine is rattling and getting worse every day, to the point I don’t open it anymore.
unfortunately I no longer have the car, or else I would. it’s on the arms that lift the sunroof up. After you remove the glass, make sure the sunroof is technically in the closed position, and then move things around until you find something that rattles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does it rattle or creak( like rubbing Styrofoam together)? Does it do it when you have you have the sun roof tilted? Mine creaks but will stop when sunroof is tilted/open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does it rattle or creak( like rubbing Styrofoam together)? Does it do it when you have you have the sun roof tilted? Mine creaks but will stop when sunroof is tilted/open.
Mine actually rattles in the full open position. It also creaks when closed, but I attribute that to normal body flex and try to ignore it. I just need to take it back to the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts