Kia Cadenza Forum banner

Need New Timing Chain?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably Something Else (Please Comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I bought a 2014 Kia Cadenza used for about $16,000 back in 2018. Got it for a great price and it seemed like the research I did showed it was reliable.

I'm now in a weird spot. Of course I notice a quick 2 second rattle on cold starts right after my transferred warranty is out the window. Take it to my local Kia Dealer and they tell me it is the timing chain and would cost me about $2700. When you start it cold, again there is a rattle. My friend told me to start it so he could hear the noise turn it off and then start it again. The rattle did not happen the second time.

If I needed a new timing chain, wouldn't it rattle again right after I turn it off? Curious to see what the response has been. From the research I found, people who have had the timing chain replaced seem to hear the noise again?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello Phillies and welcome!

There are many, many posts on cold start up noises or rattles (if you do the searches) some of them are lengthy discussions involving TSB's that have been issued and even updated up to 4 separate times for the one TSB related to the start up noise. Personally, I don't know if there actually is any correct answer to this problem that I recall reading about. Again, in my personal experience, once my car started the noise (which is not bad, some people had real problems as in engine shaking and everything which is something else not this topic) I did the 4th revision of the main TSB referencing this which ultimately did not fix my issue and the cold start up 2-4 second noise still persists to this day. It doesn't really bother me as I think the car is fine and there is no damage being caused. I could go into a lot more detail but I recommend you taking a couple hours and research for yourself through the forum and gain your own conclusions. I can elaborate later if you'd like or maybe answer some questions from my understanding of this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Phillies and welcome!

There are many, many posts on cold start up noises or rattles (if you do the searches) some of them are lengthy discussions involving TSB's that have been issued and even updated up to 4 separate times for the one TSB related to the start up noise. Personally, I don't know if there actually is any correct answer to this problem that I recall reading about. Again, in my personal experience, once my car started the noise (which is not bad, some people had real problems as in engine shaking and everything which is something else not this topic) I did the 4th revision of the main TSB referencing this which ultimately did not fix my issue and the cold start up 2-4 second noise still persists to this day. It doesn't really bother me as I think the car is fine and there is no damage being caused. I could go into a lot more detail but I recommend you taking a couple hours and research for yourself through the forum and gain your own conclusions. I can elaborate later if you'd like or maybe answer some questions from my understanding of this issue.
Thanks for the reply.

I saw a some threads on here but didn't know if other people had the rattle go away right after turning the car back off and starting it up again. Doesn't seem like it would be a timing chain if it does it for 2 seconds, turn off the engine, start it right back up and nothing happens. It's very weird but I don't like hearing that "this is normal." Makes me uneasy and it doesn't help that I'm cheap! Haha.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I always thought the rattle was because of the position of the oil filter being mounted in the engine bay at the top, and not at the bottom of the car like a lot of other cars. Being mounted this way means that oil does not stay in the filter and has to be refilled every time you start the car, meaning those 2 seconds there will be very little oil in the engine. It is very annoying and there are lots of posts on here saying that it's "normal", and even when you go to the dealership and talk to the service people they will say the same thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are plenty of other cars/engines with the filter on top. As an example, my BMW with in-line 6 had the filter on top. It didn't have any startup issues. There was a check valve that kept the oil from draining out of the filter while the car was sitting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always thought the rattle was because of the position of the oil filter being mounted in the engine bay at the top, and not at the bottom of the car like a lot of other cars. Being mounted this way means that oil does not stay in the filter and has to be refilled every time you start the car, meaning those 2 seconds there will be very little oil in the engine. It is very annoying and there are lots of posts on here saying that it's "normal", and even when you go to the dealership and talk to the service people they will say the same thing.
They told me it needed a new timing chain, didn't say anything about it being normal. That's why I don't know what to believe. Don't want to spend $2700 and then it still happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts