Kia Cadenza Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
It almost sounds like this is something a body shop should have been doing, not the mech's at the dealership. Not saying they can't, it's just their idea of aesthetics is leaving oil on your engine cover...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It almost sounds like this is something a body shop should have been doing, not the mech's at the dealership. Not saying they can't, it's just their idea of aesthetics is leaving oil on your engine cover...
Yeah, I agree there!

So, the saga continues!! They called at 3:50pm today to tell me that the new weatherstripping had NOT arrived!! WTH?!?!? You wait till almost 4pm to tell me it has not arrived??? Knowing that I am supposed to leave first thing tomorrow morning?? So, I told them last straw...I'm calling KIA and letting them know whole story of how many balls have been dropped and that car has been in shop for 8 days now for 1 issue that now turned into 3!

Spoke to KIA...told them whole story, they called the dealership and told them to arrange me a car that I could take out of town for the holiday for the inconvenience. Had to take the '17 Cadenza demo loaner back as it needed to be put out for sell. Ended up in a 2017 Optima SXL thru next Monday.

KIA will be following up on progress and ultimate resolution. Just sloppy *** work!!

I'll update next Monday when I return from the holiday. Fingers crossed that it's back in one piece, and 100% right at that time! Shall see...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah, I agree there!

So, the saga continues!! They called at 3:50pm today to tell me that the new weatherstripping had NOT arrived!! WTH?!?!? You wait till almost 4pm to tell me it has not arrived??? Knowing that I am supposed to leave first thing tomorrow morning?? So, I told them last straw...I'm calling KIA and letting them know whole story of how many balls have been dropped and that car has been in shop for 8 days now for 1 issue that now turned into 3!

Spoke to KIA...told them whole story, they called the dealership and told them to arrange me a car that I could take out of town for the holiday for the inconvenience. Had to take the '17 Cadenza demo loaner back as it needed to be put out for sell. Ended up in a 2017 Optima SXL thru next Monday.

KIA will be following up on progress and ultimate resolution. Just sloppy *** work!!

I'll update next Monday when I return from the holiday. Fingers crossed that it's back in one piece, and 100% right at that time! Shall see...

So...the saga still continues!!!! :(
Picked up the Cadenza yesterday, looked it over in the service bay with it pouring rain outside. Things looked good, weather-stripping installed correctly. Opened and closed roof several times. Seemed fine looking at it in the indoor bay area...

Drove it home, no issues...and parked it overnight in my carport. Got in it today, backed out and thought "let me look at it in the sunlight" just to be sure! Opened roof...and the **** accordion piece pulled off over the passenger side! OMG...WTH!?!?! Did not do that last night when I was in the service bay picking it up!!

So, called and told what had happened and that I was bringing it back once again...after I ran errands. In the meantime, took a drive a few miles up the interstate...LOTS of wind noise from the roof area. Once I stopped and parked, took a look in the bright sunlight. The roof panel was not aligned correctly when closed...actually sticking on the passenger side about a 1/8'' or so and almost a 1/4'' all across the backside...fully closed!! If you looked at it from a distance, you could really tell it was not right.

So, it's back in the shop less than 24hrs after picking it up...after a 2+ week stay!! They said it would probably be Monday before I got it back. Told them to take time as I wanted it fixed once and for all plus ill be out of state next week anyway. I still have their loaner. UGH...

Talk about some sloppy, sloppy, sloppy *** work!!

I have called KIA for the 3rd time on this same case, and it has been escalated!!

REDICULOUS, and frustrating to say the least!!!

Will post more once I hear back next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any updates on this? I'm debating on taking my Cadenza in for a similar issue with the weatherstripping being snagged by the deflector. No wind noise, just an extra snagging sound when the wind deflector is collapsing shut. I'm also getting a strange popping/knocking sound directly above the passenger front headrest when the car encounters even the slightest flex. Almost sounds like weatherstripping that's popping or needs to be lubricated...it's that sound of faint/dull pop or knock.

Nonetheless, I'm not too keen on taking my car in for work in the sunroof area after hearing your story.

Let me know if there are any updates on this situation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Any updates on this? I'm debating on taking my Cadenza in for a similar issue with the weatherstripping being snagged by the deflector. No wind noise, just an extra snagging sound when the wind deflector is collapsing shut. I'm also getting a strange popping/knocking sound directly above the passenger front headrest when the car encounters even the slightest flex. Almost sounds like weatherstripping that's popping or needs to be lubricated...it's that sound of faint/dull pop or knock.

Nonetheless, I'm not too keen on taking my car in for work in the sunroof area after hearing your story.

Let me know if there are any updates on this situation.

So sorry, it's been ages since I have been on this forum. The sunroof weather stripping has been replaced multiple times (at least 6 times) since my original post in November 2016, the last time was in March of this year (2018). I ended up escalating the original issue to KIA Corporate, and they helped a little bit.

Now, I am of the thought now that is more cheap/defective replacement parts than anything. I mean, it just sticks on with some double sided tape really. Then, it just pulls off again after a while. Whoever designed the sunroof track system for the 2014-16 Cadenzas really should have taken another route for the weather stripping. Maybe a channel to lock it in...

Anyway, I just turned in the Cadenza about a week ago, and walked away. The lease was up! Had actually thought about purchasing it, but KIA did not want to dicker on the residual amount owed, and in reality it was upside down in value verses what it was actually worth. Too bad...was a REALLY nice car and no issues other than the crappy design of the sunroof track system and weather stripping. I am just going to drive my truck for a while until I decide what vehicle to purchase next.

·
Registered
796 Posts
So sorry, it's been ages since I have been on this forum. The sunroof weather stripping has been replaced multiple time since. Last time was back in March of this year. I am of the thought now that is more cheap/defective replacement parts than anything. I mean, it just sticks on with some double sided tape really. Then, it just pulls off. Whoever designed the sunroof track system for the 2014-16 Cadenzas really should have taken another route for the weather stripping. Maybe a channel to lock it in...

Anyway, I just turned in the Cadenza about a week ago, and walked away. The lease was up! Had actually thought about purchasing it, but KIA did not want to dicker on the residual amount owed, and in reality it was upside down in value. Too bad...was a really nice car and no issues other than the crappy design of the sunroof track system and weather stripping. I am just going to drive my truck for a while until I decide what vehicle to purchase next.
Depending on where you live they legally aren't allowed to negotiate price after lease end. It was originally done to protect the customer so the dealer couldn't raise the price of the vehicle when they knew you wanted to buy it. Honestly you're not going to be able to lease a new Cadenza and NOT be upside down when you're done. I knew I would be for years after I bought my car out of lease. It sucks you can't negotiate but it's there for a reason.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Depending on where you live they legally aren't allowed to negotiate price after lease end. It was originally done to protect the customer so the dealer couldn't raise the price of the vehicle when they knew you wanted to buy it. Honestly you're not going to be able to lease a new Cadenza and NOT be upside down when you're done. I knew I would be for years after I bought my car out of lease. It sucks you can't negotiate but it's there for a reason.
As a Finance guy you have to remember the car is owned by whomever financed the lease. In Canada it is Hyundai Finance. Finance companies sell bonds, or other mercantile instruments to raise the capital to pay off the dealers and they work off the spread between cost of financing and cost of their borrowing ( don't believe zero interest rates ) . The dealer does not own the car when it is returned and often they might not even get the car to resell . The residual pricing is set to establish the monthly payments ( on a business calculator the FV ) and it protects the parer they sell to raise capital During the market crash of 08 both GFM finance and T Bird financing ( Ford financing) ran into trouble by doing exactly that reducing residuals to move inventory .Residual values are determined by a complex logarithm and take into account all these factors including estimated future values .Sorry to lose you as Cadenza owner though. As an aside I have owned many Kias and I never once had a sunroof weather stripping issue and I live in the rainbelt of Canada beautiful Vancouver

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had some of the weather stripping replaced on mine in winter for a rattle that I had been trying to fix for months. Unfortunately it is already peeling up again (the felt piece) and getting bent (the sealing piece) and the rattle is back. I am at 61k miles but the Kia executive support people said it would be covered if it came back.

Just gotta get around to going back in...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had some of the weather stripping replaced on mine in winter for a rattle that I had been trying to fix for months. Unfortunately it is already peeling up again (the felt piece) and getting bent (the sealing piece) and the rattle is back. I am at 61k miles but the Kia executive support people said it would be covered if it came back.

Just gotta get around to going back in...
I found this same piece of felt randomly in my car, I took it to Kia asking where it came from, they said none of these models(2014 premium
) have felt around the sun roof, they threw that piece out…now I am having issues with the mesh deflector. Wonder how much that felt piece contributed to that. NOT taking to dealer, taking to auto trim shop that does sunroof repair and installs convertible tops…hoping for good news as I am hearing more wind noise and I love my sunroof. Thankfully it doesn’t leak so I’ll take that as a win

21 - 29 of 29 Posts