Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I close the panoramic sunroof it gets to about 2-3 inches from front and then opens again. Has anyone else experienced this before? I have a 2017 technology package. Going to look at owners manual, maybe there's some note in there about sunroof operation. Any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
There have been times when having the battery changed or disconnected for what ever reason. The sunroof has needed to be reset.
It is covered in the manual. Try that first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gene on that suggestion. This morning on the way to church, going around 40mph, I decided I'll give it another try thinking the wind might just dislodge something... it closed completely. I did use an air can on it last night with no change, so not really sure why it worked this time.

I don't often use the sunroof, but holy cow it was dusty under there, some areas of the rail appeared to not be lubed very well. So I picked up some lube from local auto store today and later this week I plan on completing a thorough cleaning and re-lube. Guess I need to pay more attention to the sunroof and schedule some much needed maintenance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this same problem last summer. I took it to the dealership and they said they needed to do a "sunroof service". They cleaned the channels and greased the rails and did some other alignment things. The sunroof has worked great since then. The only downside is it cost around $100 and wasn't covered under warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I close the panoramic sunroof it gets to about 2-3 inches from front and then opens again. Has anyone else experienced this before? I have a 2017 technology package. Going to look at owners manual, maybe there's some note in there about sunroof operation. Any help would be great.
I have a 2015 that I'm having that problem with and the issue is the weather strip on the passenger side detaches and gets caught as the window is closing. It's a pain, but I'm able to use the tip of a small screwdriver to hold the weather strip in place as it closes. I'm taking it up to the dealer to see what they can do...it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recently had this happen as well. I just pulled it out to wait for warm weather so I can look at it closer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Personally, I love my panoramic sunroof! I almost never close the shade and I open and close my sunroof all of the time. Thus far I've not experienced any of the many issues I've read about on these forums with the sunroof. The only issue is the "creaking" sound as the car flexes as when driving over a driveway gutter or a speed bump diagonal. This is just because the car structure is just not that stiff and this is proven as each "new" version of the Cadenza mentions "stiffening of the body structure" as part of the redesign. Maybe I'm lucky but it would seem like something the dealer should handle while under warranty.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally, I love my panoramic sunroof! I almost never close the shade and I open and close my sunroof all of the time. Thus far I've not experienced any of the many issues I've read about on these forums with the sunroof. The only issue is the "creaking" sound as the car flexes as when driving over a driveway gutter or a speed bump diagonal. This is just because the car structure is just not that stiff and this is proven as each "new" version of the Cadenza mentions "stiffening of the body structure" as part of the redesign. Maybe I'm lucky but it would seem like something the dealer should handle while under warranty.
That creaking drives me mad. I have to drive with the shade closed or else it’s obnoxious. It’s gotten progressively worse over time. I’ve tried to fix it but to no avail, and I’m out of warranty. It creaks constantly even on smooth roads. I’ve considered selling the car because of it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear that. Because it creaks only when my vehicle flexes, it's not bothered me enough to look into correcting it. I assume it's some interface meeting somewhere that would need to be lubricated or weatherstripping replaced, etc. Obviously, you have put effort into and not found a solution. That's not great news for my future with this car. I've read posts about problems with the sunroof but seems I remember most of them had to do with not closing correctly or rattling, etc. Are there posts talking about the creaking and to the level you're experiencing with any solutions?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear that. Because it creaks only when my vehicle flexes, it's not bothered me enough to look into correcting it. I assume it's some interface meeting somewhere that would need to be lubricated or weatherstripping replaced, etc. Obviously, you have put effort into and not found a solution. That's not great news for my future with this car. I've read posts about problems with the sunroof but seems I remember most of them had to do with not closing correctly or rattling, etc. Are there posts talking about the creaking and to the level you're experiencing with any solutions?
I’ve searched the internet for months, no avail. I’ve tried greasing, I’ve tried putting a felt tape on all of the rubber seals, thinking that it was the rubber seal/glass that was making the noise, I’ve tried using a CCF on the seals to add tension and to hold the sunroof up (which worked for a day, then it came back.) I’ve tried adding foam underneath any part that could rattle. I’ve tried everything short of removing the sunroof altogether and tearing it apart. It’s just getting worse and worse by the day. I’m thinking of trading it in this summer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't bothered to fix mine, but I think mine is the rubbing of the moveable panel that rests up against the non-moveable panel. That's where the sound appears to be coming from on mine. One of these days I'll put some lubricant on it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Turning your music up a little louder helps to alleviate this issue :p Honestly I almost always have my music on and I don't really hear it much. It is there but only really when going diagonally like you said. Like it was said above I think it's just flexion of the vehicle and not exactly as stiff as it could be. For the most part, other than being annoying, I think it is harmless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been battling this same issue since i got mine. It seems to have gotten worse after they had to install a new antennae(which means taking the entire head liner down). Have you tried to see if there is the same squeaking noise when the sun roof is open? Mine disappears when the roof is open. Sounds like to pieces of styrofoam rubbing against each other when the sun roof is closed....ugh

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just happened to notice that my sunroof hasn't been making much, if any, noise through the winter. Maybe the colder weather shrunk things enough to stop the squeak. We'll see if it returns as the weather warms.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's odd because my experience is the opposite. Makes a whole lots more squeaks and noises during the winter than during the summer. It may be due to the fact that I open the glass a lot during the summer and not at all during the winter...unless it's squeaking badly then I open and close it again to try to "reset" it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just experienced the same problem on the same exact car. Just got back from the KIA dealership. A technician had to a "reset" the sunroof. He did it by sitting in the drivers seat and going through a series of pressing and holding and then releasing the sunroof control switch (the button we use to open/close the sunroof). There is a specific sequence that needs to be followed. He did not provide me with the sequence but it did not take him more than 2 minutes to resolve the issue. There was no charge for this resolution.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Instructions for everyone else:

1.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
2.Close the sunshade and sunroof completely if opened.
3.Release the sunroof control lever.
4.Push the sunroof control lever forward in the direction of close (about 10 seconds) until the sunroof moves a little. Then, release the lever.
5.Push the sunroof control lever forward in the direction of close, until the sunroof operates as follows again:
The sunshade and sunroof glass slide open → The sunroof glass slide close → The sunshade close Then, release the lever.
When this is complete, the sunroof system has been reset.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to get back on here and complete an update on OP. Even after I finally got it to close (driving down the road at 40+ MPH, still unsure why that helped) I was still not confident the sunroof would operator correctly in the future so I tried the reset method Gene suggested (and I found it in the manual). I figured it would be like a reboot for a PC and just clear up any memory issues the CPU might have been experiencing.?? Well I must not have completed that reset correctly, because the behavior afterwards was not correct. First the sunshade would not even open, the sunshade buttons (first indent) would not do anything. Pushing the button up (for sunroof tilt) did not do anything either. Using the sunroof buttons (second indent / hard push/pull) would have the sunroof open/close however the sunshade would still not open. Then I found the sunroof button operation would have the sunroof open all the way, then close all the way, then place sunroof in tilt and stop there. Never did the sunroof buttons cause the sunroof to tilt?

Finally I took it into the dealership and hours later they said they simply needed to reprogram it, free of charge because it was still under warranty. I kinda figured it was a programming issue and of course did not have the equipment or know how to complete myself. The service advisor asked me when I picked up the car how often I used the sunroof and I said not to often. He mentioned its actually better for the sunroof system to use it more often than not. Said you should open/close at least couple times each month and clear/clean/relube rails at least 6 months or sooner depending on conditions. He did not try to sell me a cleaning services or anything like that either.

I'm going to inspect my sunroof now every 3-4th car wash and take care of it if it appears it needs some pampering. I definitely love my sunroof, really nice to use when its cool outside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts