Kia Cadenza Forum banner

Oil Change on 2017 Kia Cadenza 3.3L engine (Filter Change)

17K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  joegr 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've heard the oil filter housing is on the top in earlier models under the engine cover and just figured it would be there on my vehicle as well. After looking for like 10 minutes I could not find the oil filter housing. Went to the webs to try and find any information on where this filter housing would be and could not find anything. Spent another 5 minutes looking again thinking maybe it was under something like the air intake.

Finally jacked up the car to see if it was under the engine. Wow to my surprise it actually was. It was on the passenger side in front of the drive axel (under a panel). So if you own the 2017 Kia Cadenza 3.3L engine the oil filter housing is under the engine and not on the top. I'll post some pictures.

So I found this panel that had "Eng Oil" printed on it. There were 6 screws I had to take off, then I had access to the oil drain plug and the oil filter housing. The oil filter housing has a small notch where oil can drain out from when you slightly unscrew the housing cap. So you can start draining the oil from the oil pan, then unscrew the filter cap about half way and let that drain. There both in close proximity to each other, so you should be able to have them both draining into the same oil catch container.

The oil filter housing has a downward slope to it, so when you finally remove the cap and oil filter make sure to have the oil catch container near by as you will need to flip the cap over and allow the excess oil to drain. Then pull out old filter (need some muscle as it's snug), replace o-ring and then insert new filter. Lubricate o-ring with some new oil and then screw the cap and new filter back into the filter housing. Clean area around oil pan drain, using new washer re-insert the oil pan plug. The o-ring and washer came with the filter I bought. The filter I'm using is Fram CH11934 and the oil is SuperTech Full Synthetic 5W-30.

Finally got around to making a video, .

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#7 ·
I'm sure it has to do with the infamous start up heavy valve tapping that they've had at least as many as 4 TSB's on (There are many posts on this). Personally, I surmised it had to do with oil drain back - which had to due with the oil filter being on top of the engine. The oil pump has to first fill the oil filter and housing then the oil supply will reach the overhead valves. This takes about 3 seconds in my experience during which time the valves are making one heck of a racket, then they quiet down. I've had the most recent TSB performed that addresses this issue but as many others have reported back, the problem still persists. This, of course, makes you worry about the longevity of the valve train. I, personally, use Lucas Oil Treatment to help with the issue but that's no fix. Again, I'm guessing that's why they moved the filter housing location. Does your 2017 have the loud valve tapping upon (cold or 15 or more off period) start up? If no then this would further support my thoughts. Just my 2 cents here.

Reactions: MotorCityCadenza
#8 ·
While the internals may change some what. I think the Cadenza 3.3 block is the same casting as the 3.3TT engine used in the new cars by Genesis
May have changed placement of oil filter because of added turbo's plumbing required. Turbo's are mounted on the exhaust manifold
But there is extensive plumbing on top of block also

#9 ·
That is a very good point that I did not think about. The need for more space and plumbing concerns for the twin turbo's could necessitate the moving of the oil filter, even if simply for access reasons. The latest 3.3L T-GDI engine is definately of the same casting as the rest of the Lambda family. All the changes were made internally not to the block i.e. new heads, new exhaust valves, higher pressure fuel system, etc.

#14 ·
The '14 is 1 1/16 socket but I assume he meant the '17 which has it under the car...and since this discussion is about the '17, not some other year.

Reactions: Kia-Driver
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.