Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Cadenza, and it seems awfully loud over bumps. I drove a base 2019 optima today and it seemed much more isolated. Is this just a problem with our cars or could it be something specific to mine? How are your cars over bumps?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get any noise over bumps. 2015 @ 47K or so. One of the things that attracted me to the car was how quiet it is.
Hmph, I’ll have to get mine checked out then. There are significant *thumps* over even the smallest of bumps. It’s practically silent other than that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Depending on the size/intensity of the bump, my car will sometimes make creaking noises from the sunroof or corner of the dash or rear package shelf if it's a sharp type bump. Larger but not impactful types of bumps exhibit no noise in my car. Never any thumps unless my car is basically over loaded or close to the weight limit (full of luggage and 5 adults) then hit a larger bump but that is the bump stops doing their job at the end of suspension travel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on the size/intensity of the bump, my car will sometimes make creaking noises from the sunroof or corner of the dash or rear package shelf if it's a sharp type bump. Larger but not impactful types of bumps exhibit no noise in my car. Never any thumps unless my car is basically over loaded or close to the weight limit (full of luggage and 5 adults) then hit a larger bump but that is the bump stops doing their job at the end of suspension travel.
Mines more of a thump that seems to come from the tires and/or the body of the car itself. It’s as if the wheels are connected directly to the body. Maybe my shock absorbers are bad. I’ll have to get them looked at. Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would also check for any loose (or bent or broken) parts of the suspension.
Can you duplicate the noise when the car is parked by pushing down on any of the corners?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also check for any loose (or bent or broken) parts of the suspension.
Can you duplicate the noise when the car is parked by pushing down on any of the corners?
I’ll take a look when it gets back to the shop (some idiot rear-ended me :( ) but I’ve tested pushing down before and I haven’t noticed any noise. I don’t think it’s a suspension problem in THAT way, it still seems to ride fine (though a bit stiff) but any sharp bumps just cause a thump. Sort of a pressure build up thump. It seems better when I roll the windows down. It’s hard to explain

·
Registered
796 Posts
If I remember correctly someone in the forums (forgot who) had problems with a spring in their front. If the spring has broken this could be a symptom, get it looked at to make sure you're not damaging part of your frame.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remember correctly someone in the forums (forgot who) had problems with a spring in their front. If the spring has broken this could be a symptom, get it looked at to make sure you're not damaging part of your frame.
That’ll be the first thing that I do when I get it back, thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine thumps over bumps as well. My impression is that it's due to the 19" wheels on the SX-L. Short sidewall on the tires doesn't leave much flexibility to cushion bumps.

When it comes time to get new tires, I might move to 18" wheels to get a taller tire sidewall. That would make it peaceful over bumps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine thumps over bumps as well. My impression is that it's due to the 19" wheels on the SX-L. Short sidewall on the tires doesn't leave much flexibility to cushion bumps.

When it comes time to get new tires, I might move to 18" wheels to get a taller tire sidewall. That would make it peaceful over bumps.
I have the 18” :( maybe I have really stiff tires? My ride seems stiff too, I dunno. I’m still going to get it checked out when I can

·
Registered
796 Posts
Even with 19s the car, wheel wells, and all supporting structures supporting it are designed for that size of tire. It shouldn't cause any noise like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would you guys mind telling me what tires you are using? Maybe it’s my tires?

Presently, Hankook on the front and Uniroyal on the back. We just bought the car a month ago. The Uniroyals are new and the Hankooks seem to have a lot of thread on them. When they do wear out, we will probably replace them with Michelin pilot sports. I just purchased a matching (used) factory wheel on ebay to use as a full sized spare when tire replacement time does come around.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Presently, Hankook on the front and Uniroyal on the back. We just bought the car a month ago. The Uniroyals are new and the Hankooks seem to have a lot of thread on them. When they do wear out, we will probably replace them with Michelin pilot sports. I just purchased a matching (used) factory wheel on ebay to use as a full sized spare when tire replacement time does come around.
Hmph. I’m at a loss. I’ve had two pairs of tires (continental surecontact and Bridgestone quiettrack) and they’ve both made noise. I will definitely be getting this checked out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts