Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my wife a 2014 Cadenza. The car is very sharp looking and has every feature we could ever want. However less than a month into ownership we are already starting to experience a few issues:

PUSH START-
You get in the car, put your foot on the brake, push the start button. The car does not start but instead goes into ACC. Usually you'll get the car to start after doing this cycle a few times. It's almost as if the car isn't recognizing that your foot is on the brake.

Some research online shows that it is a somewhat common issue with Optimas and a faulty brake switch is most likely to blame. I contacted three dealers in the area. Since the issue is intermittent and only happens every so often, nobody is willing to replace the brake switch (a $15 part) without first observing the problem themselves.

MIRROR CLANK-
With the driver's side mirror, every time you shut the door there is a loud clank noise from the mirror. It almost sounds like loose change within the mirror. I pointed this out to the dealer and their fix was to press on the top of the mirror and the sound went away.

I've already spent two hours sitting at a dealer waiting for them to diagnose the push start issue, but they were unable to replicate the problem. The tech speared out the codes, made sure my battery had a full charge, and sent me on my way. I'm pretty dissatisfied with the service from Kia so far. Their position is if the vehicle isn't exhibiting the problem all the time, it's not really an issue at all. I want to get this taken care of before my warranty expires since we are nearing 52,000 miles. It sounds like the only way to have the dealer see the problem is to drop the car off for multiple days so they can periodically try to start the car themselves. Only issue with that is we need two cars and the dealer will not provide a loaner.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

· Registered
345 Posts
No, I haven't nor have I read anyone else experiencing a similar experience but it would seem like it's the proverbial dog chasing its tail. If you are convinced it is the brake switch and it is only $15.00 then why not pay for the part and request they pay the labor or if the labor is not very much pay for it yourself.At least then you will know one way or the other if that solves the problem HJaving said that if the dealer is not a preferred Kia Dealer ( one who sells new Cadenza's and K900's ) consideration might be given to try the preferred dealership. It sounds like the one who you went to are very unsympathetic

· Premium Member
901 Posts
Another way to get around the we have to see it first.
Use a go-pro or phone to record you starting the car
If it starts just delete the recording.
If the car does it's no start thing, take that to the dealer
and show them.
Like Funnyman said look for a different dealer, the
ones who sell K900's are much more likely to help
you.
when I had one problem the KIA tech told me it wasn't him
KIA say's they MUST observe the problem or they
don't get paid by KIA. He told me to record it for him
Repaired it as soon as he saw the problem on tape.

· Registered
345 Posts
Another way to get around the we have to see it first.
Use a go-pro or phone to record you starting the car
If it starts just delete the recording.
If the car does it's no start thing, take that to the dealer
and show them.
Like Funnyman said look for a different dealer, the
ones who sell K900's are much more likely to help
you.
when I had one problem the KIA tech told me it wasn't him
KIA say's they MUST observe the problem or they
don't get paid by KIA. He told me to record it for him
Repaired it as soon as he saw the problem on tape.
as usual Good advice Gene

· Registered
797 Posts
I did that with my screen when it didn't display. It just so happened to where it also stuck like that and I could bring the car in while the problem was there, you can't really do that. That is a Kia wide thing though and honestly, it's a thing in computers too. If we can't see the problem, it's really hard to do anything about it. It's not that we don't believe you, it's just that we can't help if we aren't there to diagnose. They are there to make money, not give out free parts :(

· Super Moderator
924 Posts
In regards to the mirror clank issue - I had a similar issue with the passenger side. In my case though, at one point, I saw what looked like a piece of a metal bracket sticking out situated between the mirror and the housing. When I went to grab it, it disappeared behind the mirror and never came back.

What I did notice was I lost some functionality - the mirror would not adjust fully in the outward direction, to the point I couldn't get it in the optimal position for me. Took 3 trips to the dealer, plus me getting in a new Cadenza on the lot to show them the range of motion was gone before they replaced it.

· Registered
81 Posts
In regards to the mirror clank issue - I had a similar issue with the passenger side. In my case though, at one point, I saw what looked like a piece of a metal bracket sticking out situated between the mirror and the housing. When I went to grab it, it disappeared behind the mirror and never came back.

Yooshaw, did they tell you what that metal clip does or where it goes? I have one that fell out also, but I was able to retrieve it. In my case, when in reverse it doesn't seem like the mirror tilts downward as far as it used to. I never bothered taking it up with the dealership because of all the crappy support they've given me. Maybe I'll take it apart myself, can't be that difficult.

· Registered
345 Posts
Yooshaw, did they tell you what that metal clip does or where it goes? I have one that fell out also, but I was able to retrieve it. In my case, when in reverse it doesn't seem like the mirror tilts downward as far as it used to. I never bothered taking it up with the dealership because of all the crappy support they've given me. Maybe I'll take it apart myself, can't be that difficult.
change dealerships !!!!!!!!!0:):mad:

· Registered
81 Posts
change dealerships !!!!!!!!!0:):mad:
Only 3 in Iowa, 2 owned by the same group. All at least 100 miles round trip from me. I did take it to the 3rd location once, and they were no better. KIA ended up filing complaint on my behalf. I won't be purchasing another KIA even though I love the Cadenza, but bad customer service both from dealerships and KIA corporate left a sour taste in my mouth.

· Super Moderator
924 Posts
Not specifically. Since it was clearly a warranty issue I let them handle it. They tried to open it up, but then deemed it was too difficult and decided to order an entire mirror assembly. Then they painted it incorrectly, had to order another mirror. Typical dealer stuff.

· Registered
21 Posts
Having an intermittent problem is frustrating at best my suggestion would be first talk to the service manager of the dealership explaining your issue, The techs wont be so fast to write on the ro Npf ( no problem found) and send it back to the advisor that way. Recording the problem is great but it wont allow them to replace anything they must see it happen themselves Kia and all the rest of the car manufactures put guidelines in place for warranty repairs for dealers to follow and if they are caught not following their guidelines they can have their dealer licence revoked and must close their doors.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are 3 local dealers, all of them stated they have to observe the issue themselves before diagnosing the problem. The thing I don't understand is if they do end up experiencing the issue, how's that any different from me explaining the issue to them? The car always (eventually) starts, and it doesn't throw any codes so I don't know what they'll do.

One dealer asked that I replace the batteries in the FOBs which I did. The problem still persists and seems to be getting worse. The tricky part is trying to coordinate some way to drop off the car for a whole day but both of us work and can't be without a vehicle. The dealer nearest to us just changed ownership and locations and are just starting to accept vehicles in for service again so I'm hoping to get the car in this week.

Here's a video of the push start issue. It did the same thing two other times before I started to video. This means it took 5 cycles to start the car.

https://youtu.be/9BDT-CwztVs

· Registered
797 Posts
Sometimes the right person being there in person makes all the difference in the world. As to where you know what it does on the obvious side, there may be something small that happens that a tech can see and say "Oh... you didn't say it was doing that, we know what to do for that and it's a software update." or something, that saves them the $15 for the switch you were thinking. For certain things you just show them or tell them (like an error code) and that may work, but for others they just need to see it for themselves, they don't want to spend money if they don't have to. I know it sucks for us but it's a dual edge sword.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.