Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, as of today i’ll be moving on to the practically (no, literally) nonexistent K900 forum. I managed to snag a 2019. However, I had just finished up some projects and I promised to give an update:

1: Subwoofer placement. I have had a subwoofer box in my trunk for a while, but I wanted it hidden. I created a subwoofer box out of 3/4” MDF that fit perfectly in the spare tire well. A simple 12” in a sealed box, about 250w. It still sounds just as great, if not better. The lows seem more prominent and it is far more punchy. I had to add some power compared to typical trunk placement due to it being underneath carpet and rubber floor mats, and is no longer pointing directly at the occupants. Because of this, it is more noticeable on the outside, but only in terms of rattles and booms, the rest is taken care of by the soundproofing I installed (more on this below.) I was originally planning on building a DIY EQ, but I never was able to find the time. I can post details of my original plan if anyone is curious. I also installed mini "bass shakers" in the front seats to add a bit of feeling to them as well without having to blast the bass. I know this is a personal preference, as some do not like being able to feel bass, but I really enjoy it. They were $30 each on amazon, and a cheap $15 30w amplifier powers them nicely. If you like feeling your bass this is an awesome upgrade. Let me know if you would like some how-to on any of this.

2: Headlights. I spent some time disassembling both headlights and upgrading them. I replaced both projector lenses in each with Bi-LED projectors and custom made mounts (4 low and 4 high beams total.) I also replaced the white eyebrow LEDs with orange to act as the night running light and as a turn signal (Video attached.) Needless to say, they are ridiculously bright but look awesome and I have them aimed so they don’t blind others. I originally had the HID headlights with the adaptive motion. The mounts I created still allow for the up-down motion, but not the side to side. That was starting to act up a bit anyways, and it is no longer necessary, these headlights light up everything.

3: Sound deadening. I’ve added about 150 pounds (or more) of sound deadening, CCF, and MLV over the past year, and it has definitely made a difference. whispering is easing now in this car. I’ve placed it in the doors, floor, roof, trunk, and most of the firewall. I actually had to add a gas strut to the trunk lid to stop it from automatically closing from the added weight. The only letdown are the windows, which aren’t double glazed and do let sound in. Overall it isn't quite as quiet as the new K900, but it is a major improvement over the original car.

I’ve done a few other things, but they’ve been covered in other forum posts, or are very insignificant. As of today I will no longer drive my ‘14. I’ll still stay remotely active for a bit just in case anyone has any questions. I really have enjoyed all of this, thanks for everyone’s help and support. Imma miss it, but man the K900 is sweet.

Apologies for the terrible lighting, it’s the best I can do with a phone camera. This website also won't let me post the video, it says it is too big. But here's a link to it Here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Where did you find the 2019 K9? New or used?
If used, “off lease”?

Last autumn, my dealer had a left over 2019 K9. When I called for an “internet price”, not only would they not come down from MSRP, they would not come down from “bump up sticker”. (Remember, this was a 2019 car in late 2020). Told them they could go pound salt. 😤

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you find the 2019 K9? New or used?
If used, “off lease”?

Last autumn, my dealer had a left over 2019 K9. When I called for an “internet price”, not only would they not come down from MSRP, they would not come down from “bump up sticker”. (Remember, this was a 2019 car in late 2020). Told them they could go pound salt. 😤
It was used, but only had 8,000 miles on it. Back seats had never even been sat in, there was still plastic on some of the surfaces in the car. I had it shipped cross country because i’m picky and wanted a specific color combination. Then again, there were only about 9 for sale in the entire country.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wow only 8k? thats a deal. and only 9? even more wow lol. congrats on that 2019.

i like that 1 and 3 in your original post. im very interested in the sound that sub makes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow only 8k? thats a deal. and only 9? even more wow lol. congrats on that 2019.

i like that 1 and 3 in your original post. im very interested in the sound that sub makes.
In terms of sound, it hits very low and very sharp. I prefer my enclosures sealed, I strongly dislike boomy bass. All I've got is about 2sqft of enclosed 3/4" MDF underneath the trunk floor, packed with the optimal amount of poly-fill, and a low(ish) profile 12" subwoofer. Its a Rockford Fosgate P1S2-12. It had the frequency response, mounting depth, and power handling that I needed. I dont really like super loud bass, in fact I don't like it when you can hear your house shake from the car driving by. You can hear the bass and the rattling from the outside, but not near enough to wake the neighbors up at 4am unless you crank it all the way up. With this RF 12" I've never had a subwoofer hit as consistently low without any EQ magic, its currently just hooked straight through a LOC from the factory subwoofer output. The bass shakers really help amplify the "feel" from around 40-80hz, which is nice because I can feel my bass without it being loud and boomy enough to give me a headache. I removed the back plastic cover of each of the front seats and attached them directly to the seat cushion backplate with screws and a thin metal sheet. Works like a charm and you can't feel any difference in the seats. They're hooked straight through the same LOC. The sound proofing really does help with road noise and makes the sound very tight. Unfortunately it isn't possible to make this car silent, as the windows are not double glazed. I got it to about the best you can get without any major custom fabrication. Overall, the sound system is stock aside from the aftermarket subwoofer and shakers and sounds pretty good. Let me know if you'd like any other information, I'm happy to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts