Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally had a chance to drive the Cadenza for long trip. To date I really have only driven the car to and from work, which is about 25miles one way. The family loaded up last Saturday night for a drive from Columbus Ohio to North Myrtle Beach, SC. We packed the car full with 5 of us. 4 adults and child in a car seat. The trunk was completely full. We drove over night so everyone would sleep, but in general no one really complained about space, even though the back seat was tight.
So things I loved about the car; Ride was smooth and quite, handling was confident (even in the mountains and turns of the West Virginia Turnpike), amount of crap the trunk will hold! The high beams on this car is pretty sweet also, felt like I was lighting up the highway for miles. Climate control is very good on the car. Engine power was good. Never bogged down on the mountains (except when using cruise explained below).
Things I didn’t like, the cruise control struggled to hold the correct speed? Other notice this? I know we had a good load on the car and going up and down mountains in WV and VA but it just really struggled keep the speed (I ended up taking it off in the mountains) . Also the gas mileage didn’t seem to get where I thought it would. Again might be the weight and hills, but on way there we only got like 25MPG, coming back was better at 28MPG. This might had a lot to do with weight as we flew our two boy’s home (got great price on tickets with (https://www.allegiantair.com/). This not a knock on the car but it does seem to be a bug magnet. When we got to the beach after the night drive my white Cadenza was pretty much black in the front from the bugs.
Minus the cruise and gas, so far this car has been amazing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
MPG's are rated on a car with one driver and no passengers or cargo I'm pretty sure. Also as you pointed out, the rating is also done with minimal incline/decline.

As far as the cruz, I've never seen that problem as described, but again, considering how you were probably peaked at load capacity and driving some hard hill miles...I'm not overly surprised.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Recently took mine from LA to Las Vegas and back and pretty much got 28-29 mpg. It would fluctuate down to 24-25 depending on head winds and hills but overall was 29. One thing I've do with the cruise control on steep hill climbs is when I notice a bit of incline I will drop the transmission into manual shift mode and drop the gear selection where the RPM stays above 2000. It does hurt the mileage, but it eliminates "hunting" for the right gear to maintain speed.

One of the best traits of the Cadenza is its ability as a top notch road trip cruiser. You'd have to spend a lot more to get something as comfortable on a long drive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just did an 800 mile round trip (west Texas to Dallas) and this is definitely the best car for road trips I've ever personally been in, I didn't have near the driving fatigue I usually get while making long road trips

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I've had many cars and have taken many trips.... The Cadenza is by far the best road car I've even owned.... even better than my 5 series...

Wife and I have taken 2 long trips... from Houston to Indy and from Houston to STL in the last 2 years... each trip was over 2500mi round trip. the best fuel economy I got was about 28mpg... that was flowing north, southbound was about 25/26mpg...

As car as the Cruise Control goes... I never noticed any issue with holding speed but that doesn't mean anything from me... I'm the guy that floors it to get past you.

Handling.... great car... I've taken turns in and out the hills in TN/KY with a packed truck at 70mph and felt great.

Climate control works great.... love the his/hers control since my wife is freezing cold when its 90* outside.... no, she literally brings a zip up sweater around in 90* weather.... she's a freak-o-zoid.

No real complaints for a road trip car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had the tranny search for the right gear in cruise on a particular incline on 435 in KC. This has been talked about over in the Azera forum as well. Not everyone experiences it, however. The dealer, of course, said everything was normal (no codes thrown).

Just replaced the rain sensor under warranty, 25K on the car with no other problems.

Beezwax, I am curious what you like better about our cars over the 5 series, since I came from a 540. I miss the sense of stability at high speed that the 540 had, and I miss the side bolster support, but I can take any curve just as fast in our car.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have noticed the part about cruise you are talking about. On a really good incline between here and Bloomington there is a pretty steep hill or 2 that, if I leave the car in cruise, it will rev high enough to change gears and as soon as it does, it immediately shifts back down. It then just repeats this so that my car is continually shifting between 5th and 6th. I will usually take it off cruise and throw it into manual and place it in 5th. On that trip I can usually average 30+ mpg (usually around 32) with quite a few stoplights and those hills. Haven't gone since winter, probably could do even better now in the summer. I should be going on a trip in July to MN and SD, if I do I'll def keep track of how I do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sh30469 you nailed it, that is what mine was doing.

Yes its a great trip car. Even driving all night 10hrs. i never felt tired.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My stats --
Owned my SXL for about 10 mos (13,000 mi). Located on the East coast mid-way between NYC and Miami, and have taken several 800+mi trips to each location.

Excellent ride. Comfortable seats, comfortable cabin for my wife and self (still married after long trip together!). Average hwy mpg with passanger for NYC trip is about 31 mpg; average for Mia trip is about32 mpg (long flat roads). Noticed that when AC is turned on, mileage drops to approx 30 mpg (to Miami) .

So I'm assuming that on flat road, no AC, no passenger, properly inflated tires, my mileage might top out at about 34-35 mpg.

Driving around town in mountainous Blue Ridge area my short-trip mpg is around 24

On balance, Cadenza is a fine touring car!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I've had the tranny search for the right gear in cruise on a particular incline on 435 in KC. This has been talked about over in the Azera forum as well. Not everyone experiences it, however. The dealer, of course, said everything was normal (no codes thrown).

Just replaced the rain sensor under warranty, 25K on the car with no other problems.

Beezwax, I am curious what you like better about our cars over the 5 series, since I came from a 540. I miss the sense of stability at high speed that the 540 had, and I miss the side bolster support, but I can take any curve just as fast in our car.
I've had a 525i and then upgraded to a 550i and both were uncomfortable IMO... the car itself was solid but heavier.. the 525i was under powered (definitely not the 550i). For a road trip car the Cadenza is much better. I also HATE HATE HATE the layout of the bimmer... they still look like they're from the 90's inside... are they great cars? of course... but not for everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts