Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just took ownership of a white with black interior 2014 limited last night. Don't know if they are standard to this model, but it's got the technology and luxury package. Basically, all the bells and whistles.

Car was driven by the dealer manager and had 3136 miles on it. I guess they call it a "demo". So not brand spanking new, but broken in. ;) We are the first registered owners.

Crazy experience to say the least. Spent three days (varying 4-5 hours each time) there trying to make a deal.

What I was looking for mainly was a +\- $450.XX monthly payment and 0% for however long, 60 or 72 months.The monthly payment of $450 was an absolute must! They weren't offering 0% for 72, only 60 months.

The car price started off at $39,XXX. Got the car for 37,XXX out the door, not including tax, license, trade in, $1K rebate and of course the dreaded 1.9%. :eek: After all is said and done the amount financed is $31,799.35. Got a payment of $449.99 and also purchased the extended warranty that covers it all for 10 years/100K miles. The only thing I didn't like about the deal was not getting 0%. I've gotten all my cars at 0%. Ended up with 1.9%.

Obviously the sales manager didn't like the deal. After the agreement was made on the monthly payment I never talked with him again. That was the end of day two. We were there for another 5 hours on day three. As a matter of fact there was a point where we got up and left (2nd day) because we couldn't come to terms. We were sitting in the car talking and the sales manager sent one of his grunts to tell us a new monthly payment which was closer to what I wanted before we left. That was the deal we took. I guess maybe he was embarrassed that it came to that. Whatever the case may be, I just thought it was very unprofessional of him to never congratulate my wife and I on the purchase. I bet if he got the terms he wanted, he would have shook my hand.

Talking with the sales and finance guy, both said I got a smoking deal that even the employees would never see. The sales guy said he only made $100 on this three day deal. He also said that they win some and lose some and they lost on this one although I find it very hard to believe a stealership EVER loses.

Rule number one, never tell a customer that you (as a dealership) are shooting for X number of cars to be sold before the end of the month. Poker face man, poker face!

Either way, I'm happy with the deal, my wife is extremely happy with her new car and it all worked out.

Now on to modding this thing!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congratulations on your new car, Hope you will enjoy it well. I had same experience with my car too, but did you say you paid 37k or was it 31k?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your new car, Hope you will enjoy it well. I had same experience with my car too, but did you say you paid 37k or was it 31k?

$37k is what the purchase price was. Amount financed is $31k after all was said and done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put out $1400, only to drop my payment from $469 to $450. Everything else is in my initial post.

It sounds as though you got taken to the cleaners I am sorry to say. Around here they are taking off 10-13K on the BRAND NEW 2014's and limiteds can be had for 30K.

Never negotiate on monthy payment. It is a losing proposition. And, never buy the lousy extended warranty. That thing is packed with profit for the dealer.

And, they always tell you that you got a smoking deal or words to that effect.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used to work with a guy that went to be a manager at a dealer, he got a bunch of their papers and showed me where the price is that they can sell at the lowest on it. No matter what (even at that price) they still have profit built in, don't ever let someone tell you they either didn't make money selling you a car and just walk away from them if they tell you they LOST money on it. A deal will NEVER lose money on you, they will simply make less profit than what they may normally. I won't say you got taken to the cleaners like Big did, but I will say I have heard of similar deals (if not just a tad more) on brand new cars, getting a demo unit at that price seems a bit... high. I got the extended warranty on mine as well and at only $1,000 for the extra years and mileage I'll take it even if others think it's a scam. Hope you enjoy your car though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I would have got taken to the cleaners had I done this deal in MN, lol.

You realize prices there in good old MN aren't the same everywhere right?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase.

I agree with the "dealership never loses" part. But in the end, I know they move cars for a number of reasons. Sometimes it's back end deals, other times it's to actually move inventory.

A lot of times, dealerships are paid on the back end for every vehicle they sell. So for example, if they sell 300/mo. They'll get $750/car from Kia corporate as a sales bonus/incentive. The only thing I've ever had a hard time with is why dealer invoice is a published cost. That doesn't make sense to me, ya know!?

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the internet and a phone, you can buy a car anywhere and have it shipped. I did not buy my car in MN, I bought it in Kansas.

I have seen good deals all across the country. I have done extensive research, I am talking dozens of hours, reading stuff from Grant Cardone, Jim Ziegler, and others that coach and train sales and F&I staff on the inner workings of car sales.

I know all (or at least most) of their tricks. There is a reason sales people and business people do what they do. It is a carefully orchestrated dog and pony show. It is designed to separate you from as much of your money as possible and leave you feeling good about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess if I was trying to pinch pennies I could go through all that. Why not buy a car from another continent if I can save $15K, right? That's comical and not that serious to me. I also like to buy local if I can. I'd rather support businesses in my city if possible. Another thing is I would never spend that amount of money on something I can't see in person or put my hands on.

As for all the tricks and games these dealerships play, I could care less! They're not in it to lose money. As long as I'm happy with the deal I got that's all that matters.

I got better things to do than spend hours doing research about how this person teaches these people to do whatever. Even sitting here replying to someone who's response to a new member is "you got taken to the cleaners" is more fun than that.

Alright, alright, I'll say it, you got the best deal in the world. You happy now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Congratulations on your purchase.

I agree with the "dealership never loses" part. But in the end, I know they move cars for a number of reasons. Sometimes it's back end deals, other times it's to actually move inventory.

A lot of times, dealerships are paid on the back end for every vehicle they sell. So for example, if they sell 300/mo. They'll get $750/car from Kia corporate as a sales bonus/incentive. The only thing I've ever had a hard time with is why dealer invoice is a published cost. That doesn't make sense to me, ya know!?
Looking to change those factory badges. You got those in black in stock?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I guess if I was trying to pinch pennies I could go through all that. Why not buy a car from another continent if I can save $15K, right? That's comical and not that serious to me. I also like to buy local if I can. I'd rather support businesses in my city if possible. Another thing is I would never spend that amount of money on something I can't see in person or put my hands on.

As for all the tricks and games these dealerships play, I could care less! They're not in it to lose money. As long as I'm happy with the deal I got that's all that matters.

I got better things to do than spend hours doing research about how this person teaches these people to do whatever. Even sitting here replying to someone who's response to a new member is "you got taken to the cleaners" is more fun than that.

Alright, alright, I'll say it, you got the best deal in the world. You happy now?
your deal was just fine; and I agree with what you say here. unfortunately, others can't wait to rain on someone's 'new car parade' by saying such comments as you received; a sad side effect of faceless forum posting. seems polite manners disappear more and more every day which is just sad.
enjoy your beautiful car; I love mine and have no regrets!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I apologize for being too candid and coming across as a jerk. I just hate car dealers and the games they play with people. They are literally some of the sleaziest people on the face of the Earth.

I, and most others, buy brand new products all the time over the internet. I agree that I would never buy anything used though without seeing it first hand.

The nature of a forum is different than a face to face discussion. If I knew the OP and he told me about his deal I would bite my tounge and just smile along.

But, in a forum setting, telling the unfiltered truth serves the purpose of educating the enlightening the members. So, unfortunately one guy might have to get told he didn't get that great of a deal to save many others from falling for the same thing. It is the whole "greater good" thing.

I love my Cadenza and I hope you love yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I apologize for being too candid and coming across as a jerk. I just hate car dealers and the games they play with people. They are literally some of the sleaziest people on the face of the Earth.

I, and most others, buy brand new products all the time over the internet. I agree that I would never buy anything used though without seeing it first hand.

The nature of a forum is different than a face to face discussion. If I knew the OP and he told me about his deal I would bite my tounge and just smile along.

But, in a forum setting, telling the unfiltered truth serves the purpose of educating the enlightening the members. So, unfortunately one guy might have to get told he didn't get that great of a deal to save many others from falling for the same thing. It is the whole "greater good" thing.

I love my Cadenza and I hope you love yours.
Wow, I guess that's an apology...... :confused:

You just don't get it and I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you again.

Let's just move on......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought mine over labor day for $30k plus 3 years of tires, oil, windshields, with paint and interior protection. Here in San Diego I always use truecar.Com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Buying a car is like so many other things - who gives a crap what others think so long as you a) love the car and b) personally feel like you paid a fair price based on your interactions.

And it's a great car! Six months and almost 7K miles and I still look forward to driving it. When I see it from far off I'm always like "**** that's a nice looking car."

Having said that, never negotiate term loans based on the monthly note. Think about it: a 6 year loan with some random interest rate has a lower monthly note than a 2 year note on the same principal at an interest rate half the other. Yeah, your note is lower in the first, but over the life of the loan you'll pay back far more. Banks and dealerships love it when someone walks in wanting to negotiate monthly note.

But please don't take that as a critique! You love your car, you're proud of it, you got a good deal, and that's what matters. No matter what deal you got you could go on the internet and find someone who got a better one.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I guess I would have got taken to the cleaners had I done this deal in MN, lol.

You realize prices there in good old MN aren't the same everywhere right?
Yes, but usually if you find a price on 1 that is good somewhere else you can ask your dealer to match (and some do) or you could always buy it over the internet there and have it freighted to you (usually around $500) on the back of a semi instead of driving to get it or having it driven to you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts