Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 Cadenza limited 111k mi

Girlfriends car started making an engine noise when she got off work over the last weekend. after towing the car I noticed an oil spot where the car was parked so I'm suspecting an oil leak but our blacktop driveway hadn't let me see one. And she had never mentioned a burning smell that I've expected from oil leaks. oil level is low, car was serviced 3200 mi ago, about 5mo ago.

I've looked over the motor, no oil leaking from the upper engine, cylinder heads or the intake manifold where I suspect the oil pressure sending unit is located and have read about being a culprit for others, so I I'm suspecting a leaking oil pan gasket or drain bolt w/ bad gasket.

I have attached a video to describe the sound. the car is straight piped but the sound is still prominent from inside the cab. looking at the engine while running, the sound is originating in the area of the front bank of cylinders at the cylinder on the drivers side. I want to believe a lifter is going out because of insufficient oil pressure and level.

just want to pick this forums brain, the sound has to high of a pitch to register as an engine knock or valve slap, but I do not have much experience with Korean motors.

I only have $4800 to throw at this

·
Registered
2018 Cadenza Premium
28 Posts
Whoa! While I can't say that it isn't a collapsed lifter, it certainly doesn't sound like it. That sounds, to me, bottom end related. Something has some major clearance and is hitting something...hard!

How low was the oil? I'm guessing since you provided the last service interval, it hasn't been checked since?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Cadenza Premium in platinum graphite
4 Posts
I'm curious to what you find out. I'm at almost 140k and it's run perfect in the 2 years I've owned it but in the last month I've noticed a bit of knocking at startup which it never had. (much different and more severe than what they consider the normal chatter that goes away) At first it was only startup but now I hear it on acceleration. I gave it an oil change having no effect on sound but unfortunately when I checked the old filter I saw a bit of shiny metal so I'm guessing shavings from one or more bearings? Not sure on that but it would make sense. The car still runs excellent but we've got definite trust issues and once I'm ready, I'll attempt the repair myself. I know my way around cars but I'm no master Mechanic so I'm hoping with any luck and dealer parts that it goes smoothly. It's my very first kia but seems pretty easy to work on compared to all the Vw's I've owned over the last 20 years. And luckily I didn't trade mine when buying the kia or I'd be in a big mess. I know some people are afraid of Vw but biggest issues they give will mostly happen when giving trust to the dealer. I've owned my 2011 Jetta SEL 5cyl 5spd for almost 7 years and most of its 300k miles are my own but i couldn't part with it seeing as it runs like the day I bought it and it's mostly original including the clutch. So, yes I'm very lucky I didn't let the dealer talk me into trading my old car because it looks like I'll be driving it everyday again. I've searched some forums but haven't seen much related to knocking sounds other than the startup sound. Mine always made the sounds like most of them but now the sound is far more severe sounding and lasts longer. I'd say 6 or 7 seconds or so. While driving and being very easy it sounds as it should but once you bring the rpm's past 2500 things get noisy again and once you let off the gas the sounds are gone. Hopefully the OP and I aren't just rare cases in having engine noise past startup. Not sure if it's the same either. They sound similar but his is Def more rapid so I'm sorry if I brought it off track, just hoping for any input from others with experience that have dealt with this unfortunate disaster. But in any case I wish you luck and truly hope your fix doesn't break the bank because I've considered worst case on mine with replacing the motor and I've seen nothing under 5200 and up to 7k for used which is absolutely insane! I'm seriously considering fixing mine with hopes it's a simple fix and trade it as soon as it's done. I absolutely love the car but I know how little it's worth as it sits with repairs needing done. That's not a hit I'm comfortable taking considering my intention when I bought it was to have it as my daily driver with the exception of winter. Maine winters can be tough on any car and the cadenza isn't all that great on snowy roads. It could probably get stuck on a snowflake and even as heavy as it is, it doesn't track well in snow even with snow tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts