Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 Cadenza limited 111k mi

Girlfriends car started making an engine noise when she got off work over the last weekend. after towing the car I noticed an oil spot where the car was parked so I'm suspecting an oil leak but our blacktop driveway hadn't let me see one. And she had never mentioned a burning smell that I've expected from oil leaks. oil level is low, car was serviced 3200 mi ago, about 5mo ago.

I've looked over the motor, no oil leaking from the upper engine, cylinder heads or the intake manifold where I suspect the oil pressure sending unit is located and have read about being a culprit for others, so I I'm suspecting a leaking oil pan gasket or drain bolt w/ bad gasket.

I have attached a video to describe the sound. the car is straight piped but the sound is still prominent from inside the cab. looking at the engine while running, the sound is originating in the area of the front bank of cylinders at the cylinder on the drivers side. I want to believe a lifter is going out because of insufficient oil pressure and level.

just want to pick this forums brain, the sound has to high of a pitch to register as an engine knock or valve slap, but I do not have much experience with Korean motors.

I only have $4800 to throw at this

·
Registered
2018 Cadenza Premium
23 Posts
Whoa! While I can't say that it isn't a collapsed lifter, it certainly doesn't sound like it. That sounds, to me, bottom end related. Something has some major clearance and is hitting something...hard!

How low was the oil? I'm guessing since you provided the last service interval, it hasn't been checked since?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts