Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per my kia service representative my SCC ecu/sensor is damaged. I was quoted $4,708 for the part and $880 for labor to replace part. This part not working caused the check engine light to come on. My question is does this part only effect cruise control so if I don't repair it all other functions of car are safe or does the SCC eco/sensor have any other safety function? I understand not to use cruise control. I am asking as my son drives this car and I don't want to put him in danger.

Any knowledge on this subject would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
@Yoshaw would be the most knowledgeable in my opinion but I would ask the dealer that question!

My guess is that it also affects the emergency breaking feature but that's probably all.

For information, when my SCC was blocked by a body part (after damage to front end) my cruise control would display a warning in the dash and would not engage but my check engine light was never on! During those couple of weeks (until body shop repair) everything else about the car was fine and safe. Your situation may be different as yours is (apparently) making the check engine light come on. I would ask the dealer what systems the SCC affects and how.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's sad that Kia has a help line but they are not capable of answering your questions. You would think if they truly cared about their customers they could afford a few trained representatives to answer your questions. Kia service suggested I repair SCC eco/sensor but they quoted me $5,508 to make he repair. It would be nice if you could speak to a person who's main focus is not to make money but to honestly ask a customer's question. It always surprises why companies are so short sighted.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think the sensor behind the front bumper's only purpose is the Smart Cruise Control - so you should be fine if you want to ignore it. As an experiment, see if the "normal" cruise control works. With the cruise control On (but not set), press and hold the button that sets the following distance (button with car with lines underneath). This should engage regular cruise control, assuming it let's you that is - unsure how it will respond if the SCC Warning Light is on.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If it helps, the price they quated you for the part is pretty high, KiaPartsNow has the sensor for $2K less (Smart Cruise Control - 2014 Kia Cadenza).

Problem is though you need the dealer to install it, as it has to be calibrated correctly to function properly. The dealer probably won't want to install a part you bring to them - but may be worth asking about, or at least dealing on the price they are quoting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Per my kia service representative my SCC ecu/sensor is damaged. I was quoted $4,708 for the part and $880 for labor to replace part. This part not working caused the check engine light to come on. My question is does this part only effect cruise control so if I don't repair it all other functions of car are safe or does the SCC eco/sensor have any other safety function? I understand not to use cruise control. I am asking as my son drives this car and I don't want to put him in danger.

Any knowledge on this subject would be much appreciated.
Maybe a salvage parts place may have a working part that could be used and installed by mechanic other than dealer.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That's one hell of a markup Yooshaw just discovered. Either way you look at it, this is a raw deal. My advice, look up the Bluebook value of your car with the current mileage. And list it as average, since you'll be looking to trade it in with a light on the dash. If all the panels are in good shape, it will be better for you. Trade-in with about 100,000 miles you're likely around $6000...perhaps as high as $8000 in top working condition, i.e. no dash light. Point being, if the car is worth $6k, as a trade-in, and the repair is $5500, you either got to get them to reduce that repair bill by 50%, or you trade this in and lick your wounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not want to fix the cruise control issue as the cost is too expensive and truthfully no one who drives the car ever uses cruise control so we are fine not having that feature. The Kia technician warned me the check engine light would come back on and it is now back on. I was told that would happen but there are no issues but the fear is if/when there is another issue we will not know that if the check engine light always is on. I was told if the check engine light stays solid then don't worry about it but if it starts blinking then bring it back to Kia service immediately-----does this make sense?

The car only has 44,000 on it and we like the car but the check engine light issue is extremely frustrating.

Thank you for any help as it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Read the codes (get an OBDII reader, or go to an auto store) and see what they are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently the code reader I purchased is not a very good one as it does not take you to the actual codes. I am going to purchase a better one tomorrow that will let me know the actual codes and will update accordingly-----thank you for your responses!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not sure what state you live in but DE will not let you go through inspection if your check engine light has been on in the last 500 miles. Something to keep in mind if you can't keep the light off...for at least a decent amount of miles because inspection will come one day...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thought - the dealer may be able to deactivate the SCC system all together. Maybe not, but worth asking about.
That is a good suggestion. For now the check engine light is out as we removed the past codes in the history. The only issue is this light is on and it is hard to figure out what is means and if it is related to the SCC system.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
From the manual...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the reply. So if I know there is an issue with the cruise control is ok to drive around with this light on if the check engine light does not go on again?

Thank you everyone for your advice!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Both Yooshaw and I agree (post 2&4) that you shouldn't have any other driving issues with that light being on. No promises but educated guesses at best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts