Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I attended Import Alliance's Summer Meet at the Kentucky Speedway yesterday. I'll admit, my expectations for an Import Meet, are not all that high... But I was disappointed in the turn out, and the lack of respect the few KIAs received.

I was of course the only K7, but even the Optima guys (there were 2) were bombarded with jokes about it being a KIA, even though they all thought they were sick until someone said they were a KIA.

I don't understand the lack of respect for the brand... Everywhere I go, people complement my car, ask me what it is, and I tell them, and I get the same reaction... "Wait, KIA? Hahaha"... Why does it matter?

Anyone else see a lot of brand bias when people talk to them about your car? Maybe they're jealous, but it's really annoying that people are so two faced.

*steps off soap box*

·
Registered
135 Posts
Funny how you mention this. I took my car to a meet and people as well thought it was a joke, nice looking car but then I told them it was a kia. They decided to say what they wanted, but doesn't really matter. Lexus/Toyota started here with manny people not caring for them and now over time they have the prestige along Audi, Bmw and Mercedes. Kia/hyundai came and started with ugly looking cars, now making great looking cars with plenty of features and overtime it will be up there with the others. Time will tell i guess.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yes I have gotten this, even from friends. There are 2 groups of people who usually do this, you have the "Drive 'Murkan" people and then you have the "I know cars" people. This of course does not include badge snobs who liked this car but wouldn't buy it because (start snear/snude voice) "It's a Kia" (end snear/snude voice). Some of my friends or just people I work with are just impressed by it in general and say it's a nice car. Most of them are impressed it's a Kia. I get that, several years ago I laughed Kia and Hyundai both off because of their crappy quality and look. Around the last 5 or so years they've really been busting *** to get better though and it's been working. They are 1 of the few brands doing so (Ford is also trying to do a great job, nothing bad to say about them except I wish they had better warranty/were more reliable) along with Hyundai. Maybe it's just more clear they are doing better because they were so low and made the most progress? I don't know. Suzuki is no longer in the market because they couldn't compete or innovate. I hope eventually they do get their own premium brand spinoff (they can merge it with Hyundai I don't care), I think that would help a lot. Either way, I don't really care, they are missing out, not me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts