Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive tried to update on the Navigation updater and it doesn't even find the modal for 2014 Kia. The amount of $$$ that they wanted for this car and now they just blow us off like we don't need to have our updates/upgrades when that's what they sold you on with the SD card in the first place.

I need to know some way, work around or something, to add Apple CarPlay without messign up my camera, AC, and all the other junk that is attached to my head unit. Someone please help :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don’t know if this will help.
When I had my 2015 Sonata, (and my 2018) there was an Apple Play update that I could get from Hyundai. Never got it.

If all you want to do is update your Map/Navigation, you can get the lates SD Card from Kia. Pop old one out and install new one. Not Apple Play but works for me.

BTW, FWIW, although both my 2017 Cadenza and 3018 Regal have Apple Play, (unlike most people) I never use it as I don’t like it. I only use it if I want to use Waze or something similar. Perfectly happy with Cadenza (and Regal) built in Msp andNavigation with the SD card. (Was even satisfied years ago with my Lincoln’s using replaceable old NavTech Discs).

In addition, checked out new2021 Genesis G80. Their map and Navigation is OTA update. No SD card. At least that is what sales told me and I could not find any SD slot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
...In addition, checked out new2021 Genesis G80. Their map and Navigation is OTA update. No SD card. At least that is what sales told me and I could not find any SD slot.
It may be in Korea, but not in north America. USB is used when there is no SD slot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It may be in Korea, but not in north America. USB is used when there is no SD slot.
USB sounds more realistic. I guess that salesperson knows even less than me. 😩👎🏻

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Lincoln LS that I bought two cars ago, had heated and cooled front seats. There were two buttons for each seat. One selected from three different heat levels, and the other from three different cool levels. As the salesman was talking about this and other features, I reached up and pressed both the heat and cool buttons at the same time. The salesman was upset and said I might break it asking it to heat and cool at the same time. I had to show him in the owner's manual where it said to press both at the same time to set it to automatically heat or cool as needed. (I miss the auto feature on my current cars.)
I always research before buying a car, and I think I have known noticeably more about each car than the salesman did.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So Ive tried to update on the Navigation updater and it doesn't even find the modal for 2014 Kia. The amount of $$$ that they wanted for this car and now they just blow us off like we don't need to have our updates/upgrades when that's what they sold you on with the SD card in the first place.

I need to know some way, work around or something, to add Apple CarPlay without messign up my camera, AC, and all the other junk that is attached to my head unit. Someone please help :)
Only the navigation maps and certain software features built into the car are updated via the SD card which you have to order on the website for $25 (if I remember correctly) and mailed to you. For instance, my 2014 hadn't been updated in a while and I still had to manually acknowledge the warning that first appears on the screen for it to go away. After the most recent update, I no longer have to do that. It goes away automatically after about 20 seconds. Things like that are updated but most certainly not entire "features" such as car play and Android auto. Those things require hardware (i.e. chips) that simply are not installed on our version of the entertainment modules built with our cars.

There may be a very, very slim chance that you could get one from a wrecked '17-'19 and install that and it "may" work but that's a huge, expensive try! Absolutely no guarantees! That's the only possible way I can think of and not even worth the risk and money in my opinion. Car Play and Android Auto suck in real car use in my opinion. There is still a whole lot to be engineered for it to work better than simply connecting via Bluetooth in my opinion. I can't think of one thing my girlfriend's 2020 Honda Accord does better via Android Auto than my car does via Bluetooth. In fact, it's worse. I could go on and explain the differences but that's not the point of this thread.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Only the navigation maps and certain software features built into the car are updated via the SD card which you have to order on the website for $25 (if I remember correctly) and mailed to you. For instance, my 2014 hadn't been updated in a while and I still had to manually acknowledge the warning that first appears on the screen for it to go away. After the most recent update, I no longer have to do that. It goes away automatically after about 20 seconds. Things like that are updated but most certainly not entire "features" such as car play and Android auto. Those things require hardware (i.e. chips) that simply are not installed on our version of the entertainment modules built with our cars.

There may be a very, very slim chance that you could get one from a wrecked '17-'19 and install that and it "may" work but that's a huge, expensive try! Absolutely no guarantees! That's the only possible way I can think of and not even worth the risk and money in my opinion. Car Play and Android Auto suck in real car use in my opinion. There is still a whole lot to be engineered for it to work better than simply connecting via Bluetooth in my opinion. I can't think of one thing my girlfriend's 2020 Honda Accord does better via Android Auto than my car does via Bluetooth. In fact, it's worse. I could go on and explain the differences but that's not the point of this thread.
I agree with onlyjeeps. One additional thing. If you try to use anSD Card from another car, it probably will not work as it is indexed to the first car it was installed in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Only the navigation maps and certain software features built into the car are updated via the SD card which you have to order on the website for $25 (if I remember correctly) and mailed to you.
Can anyone provide the link to order the $25 navigation update? I remember it being much more expensive and it was outdated when you received it. I typically use my phone for GPS because I want real time traffic backup info but would welcome an update for the times I would like to use my in vehicle GPS. 2014 Cadenza.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thank you! Unfortunately it won't allow me to order an update for the 2014 Cadenza. At least I am connected with the site now.
It looks like they aren't taking orders until the V15 Map comes out - looks like mid-May now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts