Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've conducted multiple searches regarding updates to the head unit that would add Apple Carplay and Android Auto, but have found that UVO has not done this update for the 2014 Cadenza. Seeing as this is the issue, does anyone know if it is possible to swap the head unit for that of one that has the most recent updates, preferably one of the newer Cadenzas or an aftermarket stereo? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I've conducted multiple searches regarding updates to the head unit that would add Apple Carplay and Android Auto, but have found that UVO has not done this update for the 2014 Cadenza. Seeing as this is the issue, does anyone know if it is possible to swap the head unit for that of one that has the most recent updates, preferably one of the newer Cadenzas or an aftermarket stereo? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Swapping the head unit is not as easy as it once was in older cars. You have to think about the climate control, door chimes, factory amplifier support, steering wheel controls, backup camera, etc etc... these many factors is most likely why there is no info available about swapping head units. Losing any one of those features is a deal breaker for me, which is why I haven't even considered it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swapping the head unit is not as easy as it once was in older cars. You have to think about the climate control, door chimes, factory amplifier support, steering wheel controls, backup camera, etc etc... these many factors is most likely why there is no info available about swapping head units. Losing any one of those features is a deal breaker for me, which is why I haven't even considered it.
Thank you. All this is understood, but the simple fact that Kia & UVO haven’t decided to provide relevant updates for the head unit is ridiculous. I refuse to upgrade my car on the basis of stereo features & Kia should understand that expecting this is unrealistic.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thank you. All this is understood, but the simple fact that Kia & UVO haven’t decided to provide relevant updates for the head unit is ridiculous. I refuse to upgrade my car on the basis of stereo features & Kia should understand that expecting this is unrealistic.
I agree with this. With the age of electronics, the rate of obsolescence is so much quicker. It seems there would be a good market for upgraded computer/entertainment systems.

With Tesla providing OTA updates, maybe that'll influence other manufacturers to follow suit, gaining features as our cars age. I suppose they see it as deterring people from updating to their latest and greatest model, but it seems it would increase customer loyalty.

·
Registered
837 Posts
There is some guy on the Facebook group that apparently swapped it out - but there's not much details on how he did it. There's head units on AliExpress, but who knows if it will work - most seem to be for the earlier gen Cadenzas that never came to North America.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's probably not that they won't provide the update, the feature simply didn't exist at that time in this hardware. The Apple and Android app connections were quite literally an emerging technology in 2013/14 when these cars were in production. Some cars, like the Nissans didn't get Apple Car play until 2018, and Toyota I'm pretty sure didn't even offer it in the 2019 Camry at all. I guess what I'm saying is, you're right on the cusp of a tech change with these cars, and you get what you get, period. The only way to get that is to upgrade the car to a newer model in the majority of cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts