Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I’ve been curious about making the exhaust in my 2014 Cadenza slightly louder. It already has a decent note, but I swear I can talk louder than it. I’m not looking to make it so loud that people can feel it from inside a house as I drive by, but I am thinking about making it slightly louder. Maybe 50%. I am far from being knowledgeable on exhaust systems, so I’m not sure what to do. I’ve done enough research to narrow down my options to: remove mufflers, replace mufflers, drill holes in mufflers/pipes right before muffler, or add an exhaust cutout.

I’d like to avoid as much drone as possible, as I would still like to be able to daily drive it without any annoyance. This lead me to an electronic cutout that I could shut off when I’m driving normally.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to disappoint but...It's a V6 - pointless. It's designed to compete in the premium luxury class, again pointless.

Reactions: joegr

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would have to disagree with ya Onlyjeeps, nothing is pointless. I get into these discussions about cars all the time, there's 2 sides to this debate. Is it worth doing/practical, and is your disposable income sufficient to make the first part moot? Point being, if money is no object, nothing is pointless. Yes, it's a moderately fast car, but can be beaten by a Maxima every day even with mods on the Cadenza. Upgrading the exhaust may not have any increase on output, and in some cases a poorly installed exhaust will actually hinder exhaust gas scavenging which can diminish performance. So get it done right, at the right place, ideally a place that can warranty at least their work.

I've always liked the idea of an electronic cutout, couple things to think about before going that route. If your warranty is still active, this could be a problem for powertrain coverage. In that say your engine blows at 88,000 miles. The dealership will disclose to kia that there was specific mods on the car, and Kia could deny the claim. That's what "Limited powertrain" coverage implies, they have a soft out anytime they deem it useful. Then are these devices legal in your state? Some cops are keen to this sort of thing, and if it's a ticket-able offense that could be a bit of a drag. Just don't have it cut off and floor it in-front of a cop, but that's not always easy to do. And of course state inspections, if your state doesn't have any, no problem.

If you do go that route, we'd love to hear progress so post back some details!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate both of your inputs. For context, I am no longer under warranty, and I was never planning on it increasing the power. I just want a bit more sound. I saw another post on here (or kiaforum, I don’t remember) where someone did a muffler delete. It sounded great, but I didn’t want to have to deal with the drone they mentioned (it was also a bit loud for my taste, but oh well.) If I decide to go with the electronic valve, I would probably place it on a single side of the Y pipe right near the muffler at the back of the car. That way I could get the sound I wanted (when I wanted) without it being quite as loud as the aforementioned post. Does anyone see any problems with this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts