Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a couple modifications that could improve the car's overall look.

First, I have found the LEDs inside the rear reflectors, and I intend to use those only as rear fog lights since I doubtfully found out that the car has the electrical infrastructure to handle rear fogs natively after installing the 2017 model's headlight switch that contains a rear fog light switch. What do you think? If I'm correct that the car can "natively" handle a rear fog, where can I hook up the wires (going to connect the brake mode only to give the best performance in foggy weather or a dust storm. What specific product do you recommend for this? (LEDs have to be inside OEM reflectors.)

Also, I have found an LED module to upgrade the front DRLs to become turn signals as well. Follow this link to find out more about it:

www.exledshop.com/exled-custom-leds...-exled-led-drl-2-way-upgrade-module-copy.html

Do I need a switchback module to prevent the DRLs from turning on everytime the turn signals blink? What thoughts do you have on this LED module?

Any contribution to this project is highly welcome and appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
I have come across a couple modifications that could improve the car's overall look.

First, I have found the LEDs inside the rear reflectors, and I intend to use those only as rear fog lights since I doubtfully found out that the car has the electrical infrastructure to handle rear fogs natively after installing the 2017 model's headlight switch that contains a rear fog light switch. What do you think? If I'm correct that the car can "natively" handle a rear fog, where can I hook up the wires (going to connect the brake mode only to give the best performance in foggy weather or a dust storm. What specific product do you recommend for this? (LEDs have to be inside OEM reflectors.)

Also, I have found an LED module to upgrade the front DRLs to become turn signals as well. Follow this link to find out more about it:

2013~ Kia K7 Cadenza exLED LED DRL 2 Way Upgrade Module

Do I need a switchback module to prevent the DRLs from turning on everytime the turn signals blink? What thoughts do you have on this LED module?

Any contribution to this project is highly welcome and appreciated.
For the exLED DRL module, you won't need anything extra to make them work. They come with their own board to make the switchback happen. Obviously you have to open up the headlights, and you'll replace the factory board and leds with the exLED unit.

It looks like a good unit, but have no first hand experience with this unit. I have a lot of exLED's stuff, and it's been really good.

For the rear fog light, I assume you mean putting in led's into the reflector? exLED make a ready made one, K5OS carries one also. Ebay has one called "Rime LED Rear Bumper Reflector," but acts more as a brake/sequential turn signal.

I have the exLED unit, and it's all tapped into the stock wiring at the rear brake light. No problems with stressing the stock wiring, it's been going strong for about 2 years now. I wouldn't recommend the exLED unit though - daytime visibility is lacking - it's hard to see the brake lights in full sunlight. They are only helpful at night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
For the exLED DRL module, you won't need anything extra to make them work. They come with their own board to make the switchback happen. Obviously you have to open up the headlights, and you'll replace the factory board and leds with the exLED unit.

It looks like a good unit, but have no first hand experience with this unit. I have a lot of exLED's stuff, and it's been really good.

For the rear fog light, I assume you mean putting in led's into the reflector? exLED make a ready made one, K5OS carries one also. Ebay has one called "Rime LED Rear Bumper Reflector," but acts more as a brake/sequential turn signal.

I have the exLED unit, and it's all tapped into the stock wiring at the rear brake light. No problems with stressing the stock wiring, it's been going strong for about 2 years now. I wouldn't recommend the exLED unit though - daytime visibility is lacking - it's hard to see the brake lights in full sunlight. They are only helpful at night.
So do you think that I should get the rear LED reflectors off eBay or K5OS? And what do you think about installing them as rear fogs only? Is it even possible on our models? I figured that since I found the rear fog light symbol on the dashboard! Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
So do you think that I should get the rear LED reflectors off eBay or K5OS? And what do you think about installing them as rear fogs only? Is it even possible on our models? I figured that since I found the rear fog light symbol on the dashboard! Thanks a lot!

Up to you really on which. You'll get better support from K5OS. I'd recommend wiring them how you want honestly. I don't get a lot of fog, so a rear fog light has never been a concern for me. If it is for you, then wire it up. Maybe have it wired as both a fog and brake? Should be possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Up to you really on which. You'll get better support from K5OS. I'd recommend wiring them how you want honestly. I don't get a lot of fog, so a rear fog light has never been a concern for me. If it is for you, then wire it up. Maybe have it wired as both a fog and brake? Should be possible.
You said that you wouldn't recommend the exLED's rear LEDs since they're not adequately visible in sunlight; what do you think is a better choice? K5OS' one or the one from eBay?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
You said that you wouldn't recommend the exLED's rear LEDs since they're not adequately visible in sunlight; what do you think is a better choice? K5OS' one or the one from eBay?

Cheers!

Would be guessing really. I'm sure some others have gotten the K5OS units, maybe they can chime in. I want to say @jallanblue got the Rime units?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Cheers!
You know we've got you covered! And ours come with a one-year warranty
I am willing to purchase those. Since I'm ordering from outside US/Canada, would you consider giving me a discounted quotation? Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would be guessing really. I'm sure some others have gotten the K5OS units, maybe they can chime in. I want to say @jallanblue got the Rime units?
I did get the Rime unit, haven't had it installed as of yet, but will be having it installed next week. I can't ever seem to find the time but I got a shop installing my K5 Optima Store items: K5OS Canbus Control Module, (New) Passenger Seat Riser Kit, and the Shine LEDs next week. The Kinetic Motorsports Oil Filler Cap, Sick Speed Billet Aluminum Radiator Cap,Engine Bay Dress Up Bolts just came in the mail a couple days ago, so I installed them today.

The main reason I went with the Shine was because of the flashing brake light. I'm in a large metro area with crazy traffic and I've already been rear ended once by someone on their phone!!! Luckily it wasn't to bad but they did replace the all the rear bumper components and I had to fill a supplement claim after my Blink Spot Monitoring system stopped working 3 months later!!....So I hope that the flashing brake portion will help. I'm considering the Surface Emitting Long LED Roof Spoiler Black but based on the pictures, it diffidently isn't s bright as the car's brake lights. I'll post a link to a Youtube video of the Shine LED's once I get them installed.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I am willing to purchase those. Since I'm ordering from outside US/Canada, would you consider giving me a discounted quotation? Thanks!
Sorry just seeing this now, if you havnet already placed an order email me about the discount code [email protected]

I did get the Rime unit, haven't had it installed as of yet, but will be having it installed next week. I can't ever seem to find the time but I got a shop installing my K5 Optima Store items: K5OS Canbus Control Module, (New) Passenger Seat Riser Kit, and the Shine LEDs next week. The Kinetic Motorsports Oil Filler Cap, Sick Speed Billet Aluminum Radiator Cap,Engine Bay Dress Up Bolts just came in the mail a couple days ago, so I installed them today.
How did the install go?

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts

The main reason I went with the Shine was because of the flashing brake light. I'm in a large metro area with crazy traffic and I've already been rear ended once by someone on their phone!!! Luckily it wasn't to bad but they did replace the all the rear bumper components and I had to fill a supplement claim after my Blink Spot Monitoring system stopped working 3 months later!!....So I hope that the flashing brake portion will help. I'm considering the Surface Emitting Long LED Roof Spoiler Black but based on the pictures, it diffidently isn't s bright as the car's brake lights. I'll post a link to a Youtube video of the Shine LED's once I get them installed.
Sorry just seeing this now, if you havnet already placed an order email me about the discount code [email protected]

How did the install go?

+1 How did the install go, and opinion on the Rime unit in terms of brightness. Are they as bright as the stock main brake light?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got it installed but he didn't wire it correctly. Only the brake lights are working at this point. Got to take it back...They are as bright as the stock lights if not slightly brighter because stock lights are filtered, where the LEDs are not. My camera isn't that great at filtering the glare.... You can't tell that much here but they are as bright.
These are they functions it performs:
- Pressing the brake they light up and stay solid for 2 seconds then flash several times then stay solid.
- When you release the brake, both lights scan back and forth three times and then remains solid
- Turn signals scan in the direction turning, and while pressing the brake the other light will follow the flashing brake mode at the same time.
- Emergency signal both lights scan.

not sure what happens if you press the brakes with the emergency signal one until the rewiring.

https://youtu.be/f-3QFArmxQg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Got it installed but he didn't wire it correctly. Only the brake lights are working at this point. Got to take it back...They are as bright as the stock lights if not slightly brighter because stock lights are filtered, where the LEDs are not. My camera isn't that great at filtering the glare.... You can't tell that much here but they are as bright.
These are they functions it performs:
- Pressing the brake they light up and stay solid for 2 seconds then flash several times then stay solid.
- When you release the brake, both lights scan back and forth three times and then remains solid
- Turn signals scan in the direction turning, and while pressing the brake the other light will follow the flashing brake mode at the same time.
- Emergency signal both lights scan.

not sure what happens if you press the brakes with the emergency signal one until the rewiring.

https://youtu.be/f-3QFArmxQg
Looks nice! So the lights are as bright, or brighter than the stock brake lights, even in the daytime?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks nice! So the lights are as bright, or brighter than the stock brake lights, even in the daytime?
One of my bumper LEDs and back senors stopped working recently. Removed the bumper, determined that the wires pulled apart and a backup senors was unplugged. Since I had the bumper off, gave me a chance to re-wire the LEDs correctly so they work with the turn signal.

Took these photos after the repair work. With the running lights on during the day, LEDs aren't very noticeable. When applying the brake and turn signal, LEDs are much more noticeable. The camera doesn't really capture how bright they appear in person.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.