Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The imagination has been running lately, would it be possible to retrofit a Kia stinger 3.3L into a cadenza? Not sure if our engine bay can squeeze the twin turbos in there.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I always wondered if there was a way we could just get the twin turbo and add that in. I'm not sure though, somehow the Stinger looks wider but also shorter/lower to the ground. It's hard to tell engine bay dimensions because the way the Stinger has those braces in there... those sexy sexy body-stiffening braces o_O

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Cadenza has the engine transverse (better for FWD), while the Stinger has it longitudinal (better for RWD & AWD). So, you would probably have to redesign a whole lot more than just motor mounts. The transmission tunnel on the Cadenza is probably not designed to actually handle a transmission.

Unless you meant just the engine, mounted to the existing transaxle. I'm no mechanic, so I don't know.

·
Registered
778 Posts
For all that hassle, just get a new K900, has the 3.3 twin turbo, and AWD, not all stingers have that, even the GT2, they don't all have AWD. And with the 900 you get a monster back seat.

For a closer size car (10 inches shorter then the k900) get the G80 Sport. Also has the 3.3 twin turbo, same size backseat as the Cadenza, and also RWD. I think they do offer in AWD, but it may only be the 5.0, not 100% since Genesis can't seem to get anything into the dealerships right now...some legal struggle with the dealerships has kept a bunch of new car sitting on the docks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
With that 3.3 turbo being put into the K900 & G80 (G90 as well?), I suspect that it may come to the Cadenza in the next revision, especially since the G80 & Cadenza are closely related. So, if you have patience, Kia might make it happen for you.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I highly doubt that. The reason I say that, the K900 is going for around 55k and 59k wo/vip w/vip, forget the MSRP. And the Limited Cadenza is going for around $40k, the Stinger GT2 goes for around $52k. If they put in a 3.3 tt, even make it RWD into the cadenza, now you've got another $52k car in the lineup. That's too much in the same price range, ESPECIALLY what with so many manufactures feeling the lack of sales in 4 door sedans enough to stop manufacturing them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It's what I'm looking for. A g80 Sport alternative. Right now there isn't anything. K900 is bigger, loftier, and heavier, and costs the same as the G80 sport. The Cadenza is FWD and weaker, yet the perfect size. Put the twin turbo into a RWD Cadenza for about $49,000 and I'd cry happy tears...no question.

·
Registered
796 Posts
No. The G80 I believe is based off the Genesis which was sort of like the Cadenza but not, that's the Azera. The Genesis was always nicer and sportier than our Cadenzas and even had an AWD option. Giving the Cadenza AWD (rear would be a terrible idea) and the 3.3tt would be nice but make it a really weird place of being only a slightly less sport, nicer, and yet larger/heavier version of the Stinger. If you sit in a Stinger it's really not that much smaller than our Cadenzas, same with the Optima (not sure of the size difference between Optimas and Stingers). The Cadenza is one of the smallest full size cars available and if I remember correctly only about 5 inches longer than the Optima.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The G80 replaced the Azera. They made both for 1 year, then the Azera went away, but they were very similar vehicles.

G70 = Stinger
G80 (was Hyundai Genesis) = Azera = Cadenza
G90 (was Hyundai Equus) = K900

The Hyundai versions were tuned more for comfort, and the Kia more for sport, until the G70. I believe that one is more sporty than the Stinger.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I tell ya, that Grandeur is a good looking ride. Side by side good alternative to the Cadenza. The 3.8l G80 is also a good comparison, but of course RWD. All 3 are around that 195 inch overall length, have the same sized trunk and back seat. Because they only get around 290 and 311 hp they are more economical in MPG's. However the G80 3.8 i believe is a premium gas required engine which negates any near comparison with the Cadenza that takes 87 octane.

Here's my thing, if future Cadenza's are going to come out with non turbo, I'd like to see them get better MPG, especially around town. Maybe add a stop/start tech, there's room under the hood/trunk for components, but No hybrid though. So if 2020 is a refresh, which it should be, and if they keep that FWD naturally aspirated 3.3l, it should get 22/33 MPG to be competitive in that market. Because when it's all said and done, the only turnoff of these twin turbo AWD cars is their horrible mpg's; between the G80/G90/G70/Stinger/K900...all are like 17/25 or worse, and take premium.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Were you tracking that there's a Hybrid K7 in Korea? There was even a hybrid version for Gen 2 (i.e. Gen 1 in North America). They really need to bring that here.
Interesting...Seems that's what they should be trying here. I know the Audi A6 is coming out with a quasi hybrid, in that it just does some minor enhancement to the MPG's, so you get a 400 hp car, but still get over 30 mpg on the highway, plus around town it's better efficiencies. But that car runs almost twice the price of a Cadenza limited when you get all the features added to it. Ridiculous how they charge that much for a car that can't even tow a jetski.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always wondered if there was a way we could just get the twin turbo and add that in. I'm not sure though, somehow the Stinger looks wider but also shorter/lower to the ground. It's hard to tell engine bay dimensions because the way the Stinger has those braces in there... those sexy sexy body-stiffening braces o_O
Facts I was wondering if those two braces could fit in my cadenza

1 - 19 of 19 Posts