Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much air should the engine cooling fan move on high, and how loud should it be?
My fan is very quiet. I can see it spinning, and I can feel some air movement, but not a whole lot. It is keeping the engine cool enough so far, but I have almost no air conditioning at idle. In contrast, my other car's fan moves way, way more air and is louder when the AC is on and it is hot.
I am thinking it could be the engine fan because the AC works fine while the car is moving. I get 40 degree air out with the blower at max. However, when the car is still, the best it is doing is 70 or just below. This is even true if I raise the idle to 3K RPM.

Thoughts?
Do you ever hear your cooling fan?
Does your AC cool well when sitting still?

I did try jumpering the low and high speed fan relays. There was hardly any difference at all between the low speed and the high speed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had same problem with AC, ended up being first the AC compressor was replaced. then about a year later the expansion valve near the evaporator was replaced. Not sure if they were related, but the symptom was largely the same. Moving seemed better then sitting. It took them 2 weeks to figure out and finish the expansion valve job, because the readings they expected were also readings they got. It ended up being hunch work that got them to replace the expansion valve.

As far as your fans, they are variable speed, so it's also possible if your fan isn't running at the right speed based on sensors and the motor function, it could cause similar symptoms as you were thinking. But I'd have to pop the hood and see what's going on with mine. And all of this is relative to ambient air temp as well, if you're standing outside in 50 degree weather wondering why your fans aren't spinning, VS 92 degree weather in direct sunlight on a black surface...so more detail is needed for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
...As far as your fans, they are variable speed, so it's also possible if your fan isn't running at the right speed based on sensors and the motor function, it could cause similar symptoms as you were thinking....

I only have one fan under the hood on my 2015, and it is a two speed, not a variable speed. Are you sure yours is different? There's a low speed and a high speed fan relay. Note that my other car does have an electronic continuously variable speed fan, so I am familiar with that operation.

I did measure the pressures, and both the low side and high side pressures were too high while sitting still. Yes, this could be compressor and/or expansion valve, but it could also be insufficient air flow across the condenser. I raised the RPM to 3K, and it hardly changed anything. I've had a compressor (different car) with a scroll control valve failure before. It was similar in that there was no cooling at idle, but there was cooling while driving. However, in that case raising idle did result in cooling. I feel like the difference between driving (when cooling is great) and sitting still with the engine at 3K RPM is only the airflow across the condenser. If you don't agree, then please convince me otherwise.

This car is still in the 90 day purchase warranty, so I am going to give that a try. I just feel that this is difficult to diagnose and they may cause problems while they are fooling around and changing things that aren't really the problem. Also, I am worried that they will fool around and we will go back to colder temperatures and not know it isn't fixed till it is out of warranty.

From the factory service manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe MadMax has the best advice for your issue... seeing how he experienced something similar. Adding my 2 cents, from my experience with my car, the fan always runs slow enough that I almost never hear it run standing right in front of the car with the AC on and in my quiet neighborhood. Honestly I've never had the hood open while the engine is running let alone with the AC on. I only open it to change the oil filter and check the fluids occasionally.

In any case, yes, my AC blows very cold all of the time...sitting still at a red light or in heavy traffic...all the time. I am very happy with the HVAC system in my car! The only exception is when I first start the car and the AC system needs time to ramp up, but that's normal for any system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...from my experience with my car, the fan always runs slow enough that I almost never hear it run standing right in front of the car with the AC on and in my quiet neighborhood. ...
In any case, yes, my AC blows very cold all of the time...sitting still at a red light or in heavy traffic...all the time. I am very happy with the HVAC system in my car! The only exception is when I first start the car and the AC system needs time to ramp up, but that's normal for any system.

Thanks, that's good information to have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
@joegr It looks like you have a lot of information and you know your way around (at least this part of) your car! You come well prepared sir! I would think with your knowledge about your issue so far, you would be able to talk to an auto AC mechanic and make it much easier for him to narrow down the issue such as the compressor or the expansion valve. The fan would take a mechanic from the dealership since he would need access to information about at what temp the fan comes on and at what temp delta it switches to high or conditions required, etc.

So, not directly related but where did you get access to those prints (so quickly) and it would be helpful (maybe for the future) if you put your cars info in your signature.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I said "fans" and "variable" speed as more a general rule of thumb with regard to the cooling system. Yes it's 1 fan, variable vs 2 speed, i'll take your word for it, I don't know. What I do know Is i've never had a cooling issue with the car, fan always operated correctly. Only on a hand full of occasions has it ever run at full speed after the car was off, was super hot and I was stuck in traffic getting to where i stopped. but i'll say this, I've never seen the temp gauge go up beyond normal operating space.

But I did have those specific issues with the AC not working well, those things I can attest to 100%.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Keep an eye on that though, it could be fine for a few weeks, maybe months, then not so good again. I had about 4 AC repair visits before they got it running good now. Again, they started with the compressor, then the expansion valve was the last part replaced that got it over the hump. Along with the actuators for the mode and blend doors...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep an eye on that though, ...

I agree. It's cooler here today than a few days ago when the problem was first noticed. It was a little warmer when I went out for lunch today, and I am less sure that it is fixed now. I think we'll have to wait a week or two for warmer weather before we can be sure. Anyway, I feel like we have started the documentation chain on the problem at least.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hope mine works well this summer. I've never been impressed with my car's HVAC performance, at least not cooling. Not sure if it's because I baby the car and don't get the RPMs up much, but I know my buddy's car can usually freeze us out, even at lights.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As I mentioned earlier in this post, I've never had to rev or get the rpm's up to make ice cold AC even in 95+ heat. Not counting just after starting the car of course, but just under normal driving, sitting at long traffic lights, parked in a driveway waiting on someone inside to come out....whatever. Mine works as I would expect any modern car's should. If yours does not then I feel a trip to the shop would be in order.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
796 Posts
I took mine in last yr and they did a recharge on it but said everything else looked fine. I think they said there may have been a small leak in a hose or something, I'm not sure. I'll see how performance is this summer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took mine in last yr and they did a recharge on it but said everything else looked fine. I think they said there may have been a small leak in a hose or something, I'm not sure. I'll see how performance is this summer.

This is exactly what they just did for me. Not a leak, but out-gassing through the hose. That is reasonable for five years. That said, I don't think it did anything at all. That's okay, a good first diagnostic step is to verify the correct refrigerant charge. We'll take it back next week or the next when temperatures get close to 90 here. That should eliminate any doubt about there being a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts