Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share my dashcam installs that I've had for some time. Ever since being stationed in Korea, I've had a dashcam installed in my cars (they are very popular there). I think it's cheap insurance if there is ever an altercation.

In front, I've installed a Street Guardian 9665GC. I like this camera because of the excellent day and night video quality and it stealthiness. The wedge shape allows it to maintain a low profile and hidden well. Some pics:

Here you can see I've mounted it directly to the plastic on the rain sensor. Keeps it well hidden.

View from driver side. Can't even see it. Notice the GPS unit in the bottom corner of the dash. This unit embeds GPS data in the video files, and can be played back while watching a map.

And from the outside:

The rear facing camera presents a challenge. Because of the sun shade, mounting to the center and top of the rear window is not an option. Not enough room. Because of this, I opted for a Mobius, who just came out with a version that can be used at 90 degrees, allowing the sunshade to open and close while maintaining sight out the rear. It's mounted using a magnetic mount.

With sunshade down

With sunshade up

Closeup with sunshade up

From outside. Tint and w/ sunshade up makes it about impossible to see, which is great!

I have both camera hardwired, so it looks as stock as possible.

Video of this setup in action (but in my Jeep - same camera front and rear) of a guy trying to cheat a traffic light by cutting through a parking lot.

https://youtu.be/t3WRRtcsyMk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Really interesting upgrade option; thanks for sharing.

I was at a conference with someone from Russia, he was shopping for camera upgrades and mentioned that cameras are a requirement for self protection in Russia; where you need to prove your innocence if involved in an accident.

I was wondering if these will catch on in the US and become factory installed options in the future. I can see this really helping with insurance claims but also being a potential privacy challenge. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Thought I'd share my dashcam installs that I've had for some time. Ever since being stationed in Korea, I've had a dashcam installed in my cars (they are very popular there). I think it's cheap insurance if there is ever an altercation.

In front, I've installed a Street Guardian 9665GC. I like this camera because of the excellent day and night video quality and it stealthiness. The wedge shape allows it to maintain a low profile and hidden well. Some pics:

Here you can see I've mounted it directly to the plastic on the rain sensor. Keeps it well hidden.

View from driver side. Can't even see it. Notice the GPS unit in the bottom corner of the dash. This unit embeds GPS data in the video files, and can be played back while watching a map.

And from the outside:

The rear facing camera presents a challenge. Because of the sun shade, mounting to the center and top of the rear window is not an option. Not enough room. Because of this, I opted for a Mobius, who just came out with a version that can be used at 90 degrees, allowing the sunshade to open and close while maintaining sight out the rear. It's mounted using a magnetic mount.

With sunshade down

With sunshade up

Closeup with sunshade up

From outside. Tint and w/ sunshade up makes it about impossible to see, which is great!

I have both camera hardwired, so it looks as stock as possible.

Video of this setup in action (but in my Jeep - same camera front and rear) of a guy trying to cheat a traffic light by cutting through a parking lot.

https://youtu.be/t3WRRtcsyMk
Ok, I want to do this so bad... There are so many stupid drivers here in KY.

Questions:

Where do you route your cables? I'm guessing through the channel down around to the glove box?

Did you tap into the mirror power? Do you have a diagram you can mark up for someone to do the same?

Can you please share some of your engineering abilities so the rest of us can partake in this amazingness?

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was going to post my dash cam setup the other day but never got to actually uploading the pictures or video. I am using a GoPro as my dash cam full time for now, but I plan on using it for other things in the future.
I am using the suction cup mount that you buy separate, and it is doing well at holding even in the hot temps we have had the past week (100+)
The mount holds the camera in place very well, on bumps in the road you can barely notice it moving. I am currently experimenting with the superwide 1080p at 60fps recording setting, shown in the video.
I don't need any wires running to it, it records 1080p video for 2 hours, more than I need for my daily drive to work. I bought an extra battery to swap out if I need to record more than 2 hours. I am using a 64GB SDcard to store the footage, if there is nothing of interest I just delete the footage right from the GoPro.

If the video isn't in 1080p it's because YouTube is still processing the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCs4O-BfxI

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, I want to do this so bad... There are so many stupid drivers here in KY.

Questions:

Where do you route your cables? I'm guessing through the channel down around to the glove box?

Did you tap into the mirror power? Do you have a diagram you can mark up for someone to do the same?

Can you please share some of your engineering abilities so the rest of us can partake in this amazingness?

Thanks!
The power wire for the front runs along the top of the headliner to the driver side A-pilar, then down to the fuse box. The power requirement for my dashcam (and most dascams) is 5V, which means there has to be a power step down unit. I placed that near the fuse box, and used an add-a-fuse. If you don't want to go to that trouble, you can just run it with a cigarette lighter adapter.

The GPS runs along the headliner down the passenger side A-pillar.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to post my dash cam setup the other day but never got to actually uploading the pictures or video. I am using a GoPro as my dash cam full time for now, but I plan on using it for other things in the future.
I am using the suction cup mount that you buy separate, and it is doing well at holding even in the hot temps we have had the past week (100+)
The mount holds the camera in place very well, on bumps in the road you can barely notice it moving. I am currently experimenting with the superwide 1080p at 60fps recording setting, shown in the video.
I don't need any wires running to it, it records 1080p video for 2 hours, more than I need for my daily drive to work. I bought an extra battery to swap out if I need to record more than 2 hours. I am using a 64GB SDcard to store the footage, if there is nothing of interest I just delete the footage right from the GoPro.

If the video isn't in 1080p it's because YouTube is still processing the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCs4O-BfxI

Looks like a nice set-up, and the 60fps of the Gopro is nice for catching high speed details.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
cool but who does 65 in a 70mph zone? Does the go pro slow the car down?
here in AZ we can go 10 mph over speed limit with out getting ticket so seems slow
when on highways the speed limit is 75. 85 is nothing in the cadenza, just cruising.

·
Registered
182 Posts
cool but who does 65 in a 70mph zone? Does the go pro slow the car down?
here in AZ we can go 10 mph over speed limit with out getting ticket so seems slow
when on highways the speed limit is 75. 85 is nothing in the cadenza, just cruising.
I was going slower because I had just got onto the freeway and was doing other things, like taking these pictures for you. I usually go 75-80 on this freeway. No the GoPro doesn't slow the car down.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts