Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought my 2014 Cadenza Limited 2 weeks ago and now I have a Thinkware F770 with rear camera on order. I was hoping for some tips or suggestions on how to install the camera.

I am going to hardwire it to the instrument panel fuse box and run power to the front cam up the drivers side A pillar (removing with a screw, making sure wire is behind airbag, then tucking along headliner until its mounting point behind the mirror).

The rear camera is small enough not to interfere with the sunshade in the back, however I am not entirely certain how to run the wire from the back to the front. It comes with a 20 foot long cable. The two routes I was thinking were either tucking along the roofline and trying to get behind the pillar between the front and rear seats, but I am a bit hesitant of interfering with airbags. I was also thinking of running it down tucked behind the edge of one of the rear seats, under the sill plate trim or my Kia rubber floormats and the drivers seat then up through the dash, the a pillar and finally to the front camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a different route to take, I don't want to snake wires through and risk damaging the headliner. I am just rather concerned about interfering with the curtain airbags.

Thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Oooh, very interested in your install of the F770. Where are you going to mount the front unit? I think that form factor would do well attached to the outside of the rain sensor.

The way you describe for the front is how mine is wired. For the rear, I ran a power wire along the driver side headliner to the rear. I took out the rear seats to get access (I also installed a rear power/USB outlet in the rear), and ran the wire up the pillar and out one of the seams near the roof.

In your case, I'd run it along the headliner directly over to the rear pillar.

Take some pics, I'd love to see how you install and get around that rear sunshade.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yooshaw,

It will be a bit until it gets here but I will be sure to post pics. I will be mounting it to the rain sensor most likely (or one of the other black housings behind the mirror. I suspect I may have to play with a bit to get the camera in the right position not to interfere with the sun shade but from my impression of its size I believe it should fit.

Did you just push the wire in the seam where the headliner meets the window frame and then pull it through the gap in where the pillar meets the headliner between the front and rear seats (the door frame where the seatbelt is)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see how it's pretty easy to tuck a wire up on the gray plastic molding where it meets the headliner. I'm just a bit concerned about blocking or hindering the million curtain airbags in this thing. Does anyone know how they come out? Do they blow the headliner out and go from there, or do they flip down that gray plastic molding piece?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Yooshaw,

It will be a bit until it gets here but I will be sure to post pics. I will be mounting it to the rain sensor most likely (or one of the other black housings behind the mirror. I suspect I may have to play with a bit to get the camera in the right position not to interfere with the sun shade but from my impression of its size I believe it should fit.

Did you just push the wire in the seam where the headliner meets the window frame and then pull it through the gap in where the pillar meets the headliner between the front and rear seats (the door frame where the seatbelt is)?

I need to take a look, it's been over a year since I installed and can't quite recall. I'll let you know.

I can see how it's pretty easy to tuck a wire up on the gray plastic molding where it meets the headliner. I'm just a bit concerned about blocking or hindering the million curtain airbags in this thing. Does anyone know how they come out? Do they blow the headliner out and go from there, or do they flip down that gray plastic molding piece?

I remember being a little concerned over this, but then decided no matter how it deployed, I don't think it will cause an issue. I left enough slack in the line that the airbag should easily be able to push it out of the way when it deploys. But if I remember right, there are no airbags in the headliner area, but there may be one in the C-pillar. I'll take a look in the shop manual.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figure as long as I don't affix it with any means some explosive detonation and expansion should have no trouble getting out of the way.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
So there is a an airbag that runs along the entire roofline - the curtain airbag

Here's the diagram

And a pic of mine - this is right behind the B pillar looking from the rear seat. The wire is being held by the black molding. Really easy to run a cable. The airbag must come through there, and I don't think it will have any problem getting around the wire.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will probably just try to tuck the wire as deep behind the rubber weather stripping as I can.

How did you put the wire behind the B-pillar? Did you physically remove it or just "floss" the cable through the gap?

Install will be in about a week, got a business trip this coming weekend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Definitely will do. I know how helpful pictures are.

By the way, since you had pictures from the service manual. Do you have anything regarding removing the a pillar and routing wires to the instrument panel fuse box?

Namely locations of plastic clips so I can avoid breaking any off on my new (to me) car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Test mounted the cam pre hardwiring today. Tried putting it on the housing of the sensor to the right of the mirror but the mount for the f770 is wider and flatter than the existing shroud and my shroud wobbled a bit so I mounted it just below the housing.

Unfortunately not as stealth as I'd like. I'll get pictures tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the install. Again not on the rain sensor shroud because it wobbled a bit and the adhesive mount wouldn't sit flat.
Too bad you couldn't get it on the rain sensor, but looks good where you have it - the rear view mirror seems to help conceal it. Any luck installing the rear camera yet?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I probably could have put it there but I wasn't super keen on the wobbling of the rain sensor cover combined with the curvature of the panel being non ideal for the size of the mounting adhesive. With the backing still on I tried holding it up there and it wobbled a bit (I. E. The mount wouldn't have sit flat.)

I just got the rear cam yesterday, I'll be installing it and uploading some more pics on Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
I probably could have put it there but I wasn't super keen on the wobbling of the rain sensor cover combined with the curvature of the panel being non ideal for the size of the mounting adhesive. With the backing still on I tried holding it up there and it wobbled a bit (I. E. The mount wouldn't have sit flat.)

I just got the rear cam yesterday, I'll be installing it and uploading some more pics on Saturday.

Any pics yet? Really curious to see how this mounts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shoot I totally got distracted and forgot to post pictures.

I put it on my calendar to take some tomorrow morning. I found a position where the rear sunshade's top just brushes the camera by a 1/16th of an inch. If you watch the video the viewing angle just tilts a couple of degrees (not enough to matter in the overall lens positioning). The VHB tape is holding up fine, the deflection is well within the limits of what VHB tape can withstand (having pushed it to its limits before).

I may sharpie the blue light on the rear camera for the total stealth look.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Yooshaw,

Sorry for the very delayed post. Here are a few pictures of the rear install. You can see that it rides just above the sun shade (with a very light amount of contact) (luckily being round in shape the top of the sunshade just sort of skates over the camera. I estimate 1/8" deflection at max from the camera body on the top of the sunshade which is pretty negligible.

I have a picture from the back at night with the interior lights on and one during the day (sun beginning to set) you can see that the rear camera is actually pretty hard to catch unless the interior of the car is lighter than the surroundings. Pardon the incompletely wiped off water.

I may wind up getting my windows tinted a bit (what with blocking UV and IR and helping prevent me from getting headaches) although windshield tinting is unfortunately a no go here. But with even a light bit of tint, short of the blue LED at night, I think you would be hard pressed to notice it.

The front camera is obviously a lot more noticable, I just didn't like the play in the rain sensor housing, I figured hanging several ounces of camera off of it may have resulted in a lot of vibrations at speed, that combined with (as previously mentioned) the curvature of the housing is smaller than the pad of VHB tape on the camera, unlike a A118 wasn't the most confidence inspiring.

Looks like I may need to retuck the power wire a bit too.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.