Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with my Cruise control, it suddenly stops working, popping up an amber warning on the dash for a malfunction or something. I can't remember the actual icon or wording of the warning, just know that cruise control stops working and you can not reset it immediately, resume it immediately, you can only turn it off for at least one or two minutes before it lets you use it again, and sometimes it just is not going to let you turn it back on

I can not replicate the situation.
  • Sometimes it happens when nobody is even near my car (in all directions)
  • Weather is clear and doesn't seem to be affected by different conditions. Same malfunction in all 4 seasons.
  • Car is clean
  • There are no tumbleweeds or unicorns jumping in front of me
  • Always have to wait for at least 1 minute or more before attempting to activate it again.
Please help

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unfortunately, you have given almost no information to be able to help you.
Is this the optional adaptive (radar) cruise control, I assume so but you didn't say.
What is the very exact error that it is giving? There are too many possibilities to guess at it.
To really get started on the diagnosis, you would need to scan for an list all the DTCs from the cruise module/system. The scan tools that the auto stores usually use can't do that level of detail. You need a KIA specific scan tool (or one of the really expensive multi-brand ones like SnapOn). If you can't get this info and don't have the ability to recode/calibrate electronic modules, the odds that you can fix this are pretty low. You probably should go to a good KIA dealer for diagnosis and repair. Sorry...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have experienced this on 2 occasions now. First thought was sensors were dirty (winter season here) but 2nd time it happened the car was clean. I looked at the forward sensor, under the mirror, closely and it appears inside the glass in the sensor area was "dirty" like when you see inside glass on a car who's owner was a smoker. I don't smoke but the car is a '14 with almost 85k miles on it now. I guess the glass seal around the sensor isn't air tight. I have no idea how to clean that glass nor do I know for sure that is the problem...yet. When I get some time I'll take it to my dealer for their thoughts. I'm lucky I have a good dealer and fair priced as well...a dying breed! Whatever I find, I'll be sure to post back here.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The camera under the mirror is not used for the Smart Cruise Control (SCC), only for the Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS). The Smart Cruise Control Unit is located in the front bumper, and is the brains of the SCC as well as having an integrated radar sensor. The camera is not used at all for SCC. Assuming the front bumper is clean and free from obstruction:

I'd try to hook up a scanner and see if there are any stored codes that may shed some light no what is wrong. Also, since the SCC unit is located in the front bumper, I'd inspect the unit first, and see if the connector is tight, as well as see if the connectors are clean and free of corrsoion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you done any testing at all? If so you should have had an error code, and I guess it should be from the cruise system. If not- that's what you should do. And when you have the error codes you'll most likely figure what's the issue. If not you can always check here

·
Registered
212 Posts
I thought only the rear camera was for the lane departure and blind spot warning systems?

Our cruise control system doesn't respond very well to begin with (poor programming in my opinion) but when it can't work at all, even in a "standard" mode...that's not good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So...the rear camera is solely used for reverse viewing on the screen?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thank you for the information but the links did not work..."action not allowed"

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, can see the pics now in the original post. I recognize the front of your car pic from one of the times you had the headlights out when you were experimenting upgrading them with the Korean version and then the upgraded bulb elements. The visual location of the SCC unit is very helpful! Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts