Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Kia Cadenza with 106K miles on it. Last night I went out for a drive and after about 5 minutes, I noticed the heat was not warming up although the thermostat was showing that the engine was warm (not over heating but at the normal warm level). I got to the gym (15 minute total drive) and then noticed when I parked that there was some smoke coming from under the hood. I let it cool down and drove home 3 hours later. On the way home, the car warmed up normally (and never over heated) and the heat worked but it would periodically cut out to blow ice cold air. I checked the coolant today, it wasn't "chocolate milk" but did have an oily smell, slightly black and was slightly gunky. It was a bit like a tar color. Not sure what it could be. Head gasket, thermostat, water pump, etc.

FYI all throughout the drives to and from the gym(15 mins each way), I never noticed any power loss whatsoever, no check engine light and not once did the thermometer go passed the middle temp.

Any ideas?

· Registered
2018 Cadenza Premium
33 Posts
SO unfortunate to hear this :(
Oil mixing into the coolant is usually due to an internal oil cooler leak (though I don't believe the Cadenza has an external oil cooler- unless one was added); a failed head gasket (coolant usually leaks into the oil in this scenario); or a cracked blocked. All of which should have shown signs of an issue beforehand.

There is no incident that you can recall?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO unfortunate to hear this :(
Oil mixing into the coolant is usually due to an internal oil cooler leak (though I don't believe the Cadenza has an external oil cooler- unless one was added); a failed head gasket (coolant usually leaks into the oil in this scenario); or a cracked blocked. All of which should have shown signs of an issue beforehand.

There is no incident that you can recall?
I certainly have not added an oil cooler and I am not sure if it comes with one stock. I never noticed any "signs" to be honest. Even when I realized it, I just had no heat in the car. No power loss, no smoke, no over heating. However, when I parked the car, I noticed smoke (steam) coming from under the hood as the coolant what leaking onto hot areas under the hood. The leaks were occurring from what looked like the thermostat/ water pump area of the engine.

· Registered
2018 Cadenza Premium
33 Posts
I certainly have not added an oil cooler and I am not sure if it comes with one stock. I never noticed any "signs" to be honest. Even when I realized it, I just had no heat in the car. No power loss, no smoke, no over heating. However, when I parked the car, I noticed smoke (steam) coming from under the hood as the coolant what leaking onto hot areas under the hood. The leaks were occurring from what looked like the thermostat/ water pump area of the engine.
Given that information, it sounds like a cracked block. This doesn't just happen though. Either way, you're looking at a possible engine replacement. Please do keep us updated.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Given that information, it sounds like a cracked block. This doesn't just happen though. Either way, you're looking at a possible engine replacement. Please do keep us updated.
I am just confused as to why I never lost power and the car never over heated. I was just when I noticed that the heat was pumping cold air and then when I parked, I noticed steaming from coolant leaking on hot parts under the hood. And then later, the heat was working normal and again no over heating and no power loss.

· Registered
2018 Cadenza Premium
33 Posts
I guess it could be possible that your water pump has failed. The reason I keep mentioning the worst case scenarios is because of the oil/coolant mixing. That scenario doesn't make sense with just a failed water pump. Though the loss of heat would correspond (if the propeller isn't turning as it should)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts