Kia Cadenza Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
The procedure in the factory service manual is to remove it from below. It says you only have to remove the two under covers, then a small "starter cover." After that, just disconnect the power cable and the control cable and remove the two bolts that hold the starter on.

· Registered
1 Posts
--1/18/2022 UPDATE--
As the weather grew colder here in MI, the issue became more persistent. So much so, that I was able to tie it directly to the outside temperature. Right at 32F, it was a crapshoot on whether it would start immediately after pushing the start button. We had several days of a mix of teens and single digit temps a few weeks back and I was at my wits-end as the car would take a minimum of 3 push button cycles to start and up to 5 minutes of me repeating the process! I began the scheduling process to get it into the dealership (at 15,000mi on the ODO, it's still nearly entirely covered under MFG warranty). Scheduling with a dealership service center is an entire saga worthy of its own post. Most said they couldn't do anything till mid-February and a 'Kia Cares' customer service Rep. suggested that I travel out of state for service- you should note that he wasn't joking!

Last week- late Wednesday(1/12), I was finally able to get my car into a service center. After 4 days of not a single update, I called the Advisor (term used VERY loosely) yesterday and was told that the Tech was able to duplicate the issue several times and that they'd be replacing the starter. I thought it odd that the starter needs replacing at 15,000 miles and in these peculiar circumstances so I asked a few clarifying questions: "Has the Tech diagnosed and directly tied the very strange no-start in cold temps issues to a failed starter?". After a few intelligence-insulting responses, the Advisor finally 'admits' that the Tech is doing a process of elimination- stating: "Well, the Tech says the battery is in good condition and the altenator is working as it should- so it has to be the starter!". I totally disagree but am powerless in that I can't dictate to them how to proceed with warranty work/repairs. So while I am about 99% sure that the starter is not the issue, this is what they'll be replacing. The Advisor is very clearly annoyed with me as a customer and wants my vehicle out of the building as soon as possible- so he/they are planning to slap the starter on as soon as it is received and return the car to me. I requested that they keep the Cadenza after the starter is installed for verification that it was indeed the repair needed (he didn't like that very much). I will keep you all updated. As an aside, I absolutely loathe the thought of some Tech who couldn't care less about my expensive property- just tearing into it to replace parts that I believe will turn out to be perfectly fine. All I can think about are the many fasteners that will be broken, the harnesses that will not be replaced properly, the bolts that will most definitely not be torqued properly and the introduction of potential future issues....SIGH

Tldr: Dealership is replacing the starter at 15,000 miles simply by a "process of elimination". I'm not convinced the issue will be remedied by this. I'll keep interested forum members updated.

-ORIGINAL POST-
Hello All,
This is my first winter with the Cadenza (2018 Premium). Within the last few weeks- only in freezing conditions/temps AND only the first start of the day- my car will go through all of the motions of starting but never actually starts the engine.

To be clear: there is no attempt to start the engine (like a click or clicking from the starter) but the car carries on as if the engine is running.

This will occur for multiple cycles before finally starting (with a significant delay). Has anyone else experienced this in colder conditions?
Yes I had the same problem the car will start all spring and summer but sometime when the weather is below 40 it would not. I took it to the dealer and they said there was no problem.
Contacted the corporate office and spoke to them about using my lawer to get the problem repaired. They gave me a case number and told me to take it back to the dealer.
I waited until this week when the weather would be cold and I dropped it off, yesterday I got a call from the dealership to let me know my car had been repaired to make a long story short it was the starter was bad. And they coverd it under warrenty I sent all of your information to the main office because they were saying no one elese had my problem. I hope you can get your car repaied also.

· Registered
2018 Cadenza Premium
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes I had the same problem the car will start all spring and summer but sometime when the weather is below 40 it would not. I took it to the dealer and they said there was no problem.
Contacted the corporate office and spoke to them about using my lawer to get the problem repaired. They gave me a case number and told me to take it back to the dealer.
I waited until this week when the weather would be cold and I dropped it off, yesterday I got a call from the dealership to let me know my car had been repaired to make a long story short it was the starter was bad. And they coverd it under warrenty I sent all of your information to the main office because they were saying no one elese had my problem. I hope you can get your car repaied also.
Glad you got it taken care of! I've had no starting issues since this thread. How many miles are on your Cadenza?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts