Kia Cadenza Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I parked under a tree the other day and some particularly nasty bird excrement fell on my trunk and slid off. It managed to completely eat through my clear coat all the way down to the paint. I put a bottle of detailer in my trunk just so I can obsessively clean my car now. Has this happened to anyone else?

I guess I'll be going through an entire bottle of Dr. Colorchip between the the trunk and the hood. Needless to say I'm a little ticked at how little it took to eat through.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My old car never had an issue. Granted even this car doesn't have too many issues. I think I just got unlucky with a bird that must have been having some digestive distress...

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've had some on my car for days/weeks before without realizing or seeing it and forgetting, same with tree sap. I just wash my car and it comes off, no damage to paint. I also usually seal my car about twice a year so maybe that helps? I've yet to do it this year though, I'm behind and now it's really hot and going to be an absolute pain to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As both a bird and Cadenza owner, I can say that there can be significant variation in bird excrement based on diet as their digestive tracks are short and quick. I would guess that the bird may have eaten something particularly acidic (berries/citrus?). I have not seen anything like that happen to my Cadenza.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a Cadenza with no issues ( black ) paint wise; traded for a black k900. dealer accidentally put a dent in door during valet wash and also scraped paint. their PDR dent guy not only totally removed the dent, he also did a light wet sand on the paint and buffed it; it's back to perfect. He said the clear coat was good; I was dubious but stood there and watched him do it; amazing work and I am very picky. Dealer paid for it of course, but, I would happily pay him myself for any future similar repair. So, might ask your dealer if they can recommend a quality PDR company and ask them about wet sanding and buffing; you may find the clear coat is fine and it's just stained from bug or bird stuff.
good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a Cadenza with no issues ( black ) paint wise; traded for a black k900. dealer accidentally put a dent in door during valet wash and also scraped paint. their PDR dent guy not only totally removed the dent, he also did a light wet sand on the paint and buffed it; it's back to perfect. He said the clear coat was good; I was dubious but stood there and watched him do it; amazing work and I am very picky. Dealer paid for it of course, but, I would happily pay him myself for any future similar repair. So, might ask your dealer if they can recommend a quality PDR company and ask them about wet sanding and buffing; you may find the clear coat is fine and it's just stained from bug or bird stuff.
good luck!
forgot to add; I asked what he was charging the dealer and for both steps he charged $75.00 total. I'm in the Charlotte NC area. Very reasonable price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bad clear coat might be a warrantee claim. If this actually did destroy the clear and not just etched the surface. I'd call the Kia preferred line and just ask about it...see what they say.
The clear is completely gone, unfortunately I bought CPO so I have no warranty for paint anymore. I'll see if they can maybe bend the rules for me.

I need to heckle my dealer again about my door handle. They said they were ordering a part and never called / left a message to reschedule. That and a dash piece that has some loose leather and the sunroof making popping noises (sounds like metal tracks shifting or something when it's hot)

I'm sure my dealer is gonna love me...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CPO extends all original warrantee...I believe that includes the paint. either way, gotta at least make that call.
I'm scheduled in a week in a half for them to fix the door handle. Diagnose the sunroof popping, replace a piece of trim with leather that is starting to bubble and also ask what they can do for me on the paint.

The problem is my car has 55k so the factory paint warranty is out the door.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, its unfortunately pretty short in the scheme of Kia warranties. Made me kind of wish I waited until now to buy the car, there are loads of 14's and 15's with <30k on the clock for what I paid (20k for CPO 50k miles in October 2016). But at the same time, I may be selling it around 2019 if my plans to get a job in Europe after a doctorate do go through, in which case I would have had 9 months less to enjoy the car while still eating the second owner depreciation.

My dad has already joked that he might buy the car off me and drive it to Montana.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.