Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In April, I had my local dealer perform TSB 148 on my 2014 Cadenza. This was done in accordance with the revised TSB. Mileage was 36,635. Approximately 2000 miles after the completion of the TSB, the noise slowly started to come back. I now have 6400 miles since the TSB and on startup, the thrashing is very pronounced. I am trying to talk my Rep at the Kia Preferred Access Team but I am having difficulty getting a call back. I did miss one call, and called back 5 minutes later but could not connect.

My question is, how many folks here have had the Cam Chain Tensioner replaced but had the noise return. If you were successful, and the noise did not return, please say so and let us no how many miles you have driven the car since the work was performed. If the noise returned, how many miles did it take before you noticed it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just had mine replaced, maybe 500 miles ago or so...so far so good, however this morning ironically it seemed a little louder then normal inside the garage. I'll be keeping an ear to it at every startup...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My noise has returned. TSB REV 2 was performed about 2 months ago. So REV 3 is now out? Anyone know the specifics of REV 3? Disheartening, love the car otherwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue here, got 148 applied around 08/01/16, one month and 2500 miles later noise is back. In the past, oil change was fixing it for about the same number of miles:) Taking it to a dealer again.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I believe that this adds on parts for another vehicle. If you look at it nothing looks updated for the Cadenza.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just got his performed and after a 200 miles, I can already tell the day I picked it up it was really quite and now it is a little more noticeable. Nothing like before though

·
Registered
36 Posts
Picked up my 2014 yesterday after they had installed the new cam tensioner, and replaced two of the guides. My service manager said the problem is the last tensioner in the oil feed, so it was getting oil last. He mentioned the new tensioners use SKF bearings that don't need oil vs. the original KIA bearings??

Now to listen closely!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up my 2014 yesterday after they had installed the new cam tensioner, and replaced two of the guides. My service manager said the problem is the last tensioner in the oil feed, so it was getting oil last. He mentioned the new tensioners use SKF bearings that don't need oil vs. the original KIA bearings??

Now to listen closely!
Having held a new tensioner in my hand, I don't see where there could be bearings. What are SKF bearings anyway?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Have an apt. on Thurs to have my car looked at again for TSB148. My display has also been messing up lately, it will go a weird multi-colored dark static snow and will just show a distorted "Uvo" image and freezes. Turning the car off, opening/closing the door, and waiting a few minutes will usually fix it but still annoying. It did it to me on Saturday again and I had mentioned that for my apt. for Thurs so I called the dealership and swung by there to show it to them while it was still up there. They are ordering a new radio for me now too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone has updates on this? In my case dealer was able to reproduce and confirm the rattle (even with TSB148 applied), but so far no word from Kia on how to fix it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just got my car back. Kia will not let my dealer perform TSB148 again though the rattle is back. They have said that the rattle for 2-3 seconds at startup is normal for this type of engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hm, same setup here. Just picked it up from my dealer. After testing and confirming the issue, they replaced one of injectors and did a cold soak startup re-testing after that. Ended up as "brief rattle is expected and nothing to worry about".

Not sure that I'm satisfied with this answer as noise is clearly strange and doesn't sound "natural", but will keep an eye on it.

Seems like every oil change also fixes this issue for couple thousand miles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts