Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May I ask forum members why they chose their Cadenzas over the Azera. I am trying to decide between the two. I have read the reviews, so I know the basic differences, but what helped you make up your mind?

Not sure why, but although the Cadenza has twice the sales, the Azera forum on the web has much more activity. And their owners do not seem to have the complaints voiced here (welcome screen, pass seat issues, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Maybe because Hyundai has had a couple of years more than Kia to learn what Americans expect in an upscale car. The Kia has a little more flash when you look at it from the outside handles just a little different, BUT The Cadenza costs more than the Azera and has left some things off that the Azera has.
This is my 5th Kia and my last. Simply because of service, Kia hasn't learned yet how to treat an upscale car customer after the sale. Kia just is not ready for this market. While the Cadenza is a nice car too many things were left out to move it to the front of the pack. What a shame Kia could have had another hit on their hands.
I have the smokey blue cadenza, do you know you can't even get a paint chip pen that color B3U. Have a switch surround with wood grain for the rear door get scratched and try to get a replacement. They will sell you a Korean model surround which only has one switch hole instead of the two holes on our American models.
Try to get a change in programming for the I agree on the radio. Kia isn't interested in helping. ask about buying a different passenger seat with air. sorry kia doesn't want to hear it or care what we think. They already sold the car so tough
I've called the customer service number for the cadenza over a number of issues it is a waste of my time, while they are polite they don't help with anything.
I had planned on buying the new K900 when it came out. SORRY kia you are already leaving things off of it that we expect in a car at that price.
There are a lot of good cars out there look else where

·
Registered
841 Posts
I was looking at the Azera before the Cadenza arrived, and was thinking of purchasing it last summer. I was waiting for the 14 Azera to come out to see what features might be added. While waiting, I test drove the Cadenza and realized it had the features I wanted that the Azera lacked (primarily adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and power folding mirrors). I also liked the interior of the Cadenza better, but like the Azera exterior better - all personal preference.

I think there's more traffic at the Azera forum site because it does have a larger base, having been on sale in the US since 2012. Cadenza sales may be beating Azera sales, but I think that will level out down the road.

I don't feel the same as Gene and others have posted, I haven't had problems at all. While having to touch the "I agree" everytime is annoying, it's not a deal breaker. I've never had an issue where my nav screen stays in night mode. I haven't tried to order anything from the Kia dealer, so I can't comment on that.

Both are great cars, comes to your personal preference really. Can't beat a test drive to determine which is better for you.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Because I gripe about the poor service I've received ( had my cadenza for 6 months now) that doesn't mean the cadenza isn't a good car. I think it is a better car than the Azera. The I agree wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either, it has been all the little things that Kia doesn't want to address that bothers me.
Has your traffic been working? I haven't been able to see anything on it yet and I have it active in the car and with Sirius.
The adaptive cruise is great and the blind spot monitoring also. I don't use the lane departure, anyone else use it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Because I gripe about the poor service I've received ( had my cadenza for 6 months now) that doesn't mean the cadenza isn't a good car. I think it is a better car than the Azera. The I agree wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either, it has been all the little things that Kia doesn't want to address that bothers me.
Has your traffic been working? I haven't been able to see anything on it yet and I have it active in the car and with Sirius.
The adaptive cruise is great and the blind spot monitoring also. I don't use the lane departure, anyone else use it?
agree with Gene; it's the smaller stuff that takes the wow factor away from the Cadenza. I looked at and drove Genesis, and Azera, and they just didn't have the same quality and options as the Cadenza.
I love the lane departure; I'm in a hilly area near a huge lake and the roads can be quite narrow; those tech. options are what sold me since no one else has all of them on one car anywhere near the K7 price point.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I like lane departure on long trips, but find it distracting on shorter trips. My traffic worked during the free period from Sirius. Maybe because I'm in the DC area, there were a lot of traffic warnings that came up. I got a traffic warning last night (just learned from a commercial that Sirius is free right now). The report was wholly inaccurate - I blame Sirius for that, and why I won't be subscribing to their service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cadenza vs. Azera Answer

The Azera has a stiffer suspension and overall Hyundai is a few years ahead of KIA. My own KIA dealership told me this but it makes sense because they have a huge share of the KIA brand and they had a stronger presents in the U.S. earlier on. This is changing though. Personally, I chose the Cadenza because it #1 . Looks Better #2 . Better Ride Quality & Quieter #3 . It Looks Better :). They are basically the same car with different shells, interior and suspension etc. It just depends on your personal preference. I also think when people buy a Cadenza they have unreasonable expectations because they have higher expectation. It's a different type of person/mind set that's buying a Cadenza vs. the Azera. Dare I say Cadenza owners in general may be a little more high maintenance type folks because we seek the best of all worlds. They really want that luxury and maybe still want the sporty feel. When it falls short a little they complain. It's the same as folks who buy MB, BMW's, Lexus etc. The "I spent a lot of money on this car so it better be everything I want and need it to be and it better meet all of my expectations". The truth is no car will ever meet a buyers "every" expectation if there was then there would be a whole lot less automobile manufactures out there because most would be buying that car. I know because, I'm a little like this myself. Love the ride of this car but still kind of miss that sporty feel. The bottom line, this is a really nice car. It's really a pleasure to drive everyday and people are constantly complimenting it. Have no regrets and hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wanted to add, I think the biggest miss on the Cadenza was not giving the bright LED DRL's. Really stupid, just doesn't make sense a car at this price point didn't/doesn't have. This is my biggest pet peeve regarding my Cadenza. I know you can re-wire the LED fog lights but it's not the same as a real signature LED DRL like Lexus and Audi etc.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Autocadenza - I wholly heatedly agree, which is why I want to add in the missing DRL module that is available on the KDM K7.

Also, the Azera days may be numbered in the US. Sales figures are plummeting on the Azera, primarily due to the arrival of the new Genesis. See article from Autoblog:Hyundai Azera fate in question for US - Autoblog

Shame if it goes away, it's a fantastic car. But agree is is squeezed in the Hyundai lineup between the Sonata and Genesis. If Kia had a rear wheel drive car the same size as Cadenza, I could see Cadenza going down the same road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yooshaw - I think your probable correct. If Hyundia can't re-purpose and update the Azera to better fit between the Sonata & Genesis then it may be lights out for this model? #1 the new Sonata is a really nice car with lots of tech and amenities, plus a nice ride. #2 the new Genesis even though it cost quite a bit more, especially when fully loaded is a fantastic car. I test drove one and wow was I impressed! This might be my next car.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yooshaw - I think your probable correct. If Hyundia can't re-purpose and update the Azera to better fit between the Sonata & Genesis then it may be lights out for this model? #1 the new Sonata is a really nice car with lots of tech and amenities, plus a nice ride. #2 the new Genesis even though it cost quite a bit more, especially when fully loaded is a fantastic car. I test drove one and wow was I impressed! This might be my next car.
I haven't test drove the new Genesis, but saw one on the road a week ago - was very impressive looking in person.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I honestly got my Cadenza because because of lease price. Couldn't get that deal on a comparable car anywhere else. Whole lot of bang for my buck in my Cadenza. I love my car :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I priced an Azera at the same time I leased my 2014 Cadenza Limited. Even though the Azera's MSRP was $5k to $6K lower than the Cadenza, they could not even match the Cadenza lease. I'm glad they didn't. The Kia is 1 1/2 years old now and I only have 9k miles on it. I use it for family gatherings and trips. Only trip to the dealer was for oil changes, no other problems. I am completely happy with the car and like it better than the Acura RL that was leased a few cars back.

The big thing for me about the Hyundai and Kia lines is, all cars run on regular gas except the v8's. I'm averaging about 28mpg on the Cadenza from the first tank of gas.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I love my K7, but not enough to keep it any longer than I absolutely have to. The payment is ridiculous and the service experience I have had is less than what I'd expect owning a RIO.

The car is solid, and I enjoy the unique factor. I turn heads everywhere, but I think I might be getting out of the KIA game, and just gonna pick up a WRX STI and go about my business.

It's sad, because KIA had a great opportunity here, and I think they blew it in 2014, and aren't getting any closer to accomplishing great things with the 2016. (The headlights are UGLY!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Enjoyed reading this thread, I think the Cadenza has come a ways from the initial 2014 unveiling. I have a 2017, second generation and would hope many prior issues have been resolved.
I looked at the Genesis, Azera, Optima, Altima, Sonata, Passat, Maxima, before settling with the Cadenza. I moved up from the 2013 Hyundai Elantra, not exactly a hard decision. One of the biggest reasons I wanted the Cadenza was the amount of interior space. With two growing boys they were growing out of the Elantra really quick.
My wife liked their safety ratings. The 2017 Cadenza received Top Safety Pick Plus rating from the IIHS.
Another thing I liked about the Cadenza, not everyone and their mother had one. Seriously, except at the dealership, I’ve only seen 1 other Cadenza on the road in my area (and I drive about 50 miles to work). I guess that could also be a negative thing as I’m finding it difficult to find parts for the car (like filters for example) from local stores like Oreilly and Autozone.
Have read many articles/reviews on the 2017 Cadenza, all positive and making my decision all that easier. Then I took a test drive and the rest is history. Such a nice ride, and all the new technology that I’ve never had in the past (remember 2013 Hyundai Elantra, don’t believe Bluetooth compatibility came out until the 2015 model). I was reading the owner manual for several days trying to bring my brain up to speed on all this tech.
Hopefully this post will help others if their deciding to by a Cadenza for the first time or upgrading. I’ll leave links to several of the articles I’ve read.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-2017-large-cars-for-the-money
https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-kia-cadenza-earns-top-safety-rating-1420695213194/
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/cadenza/2017/
https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/cadenza
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/kia/cadenza/2017

·
Registered
12 Posts
I enjoyed reading this thread as well. I was looking at both cars (2015/2016 model years). I was looking for a semi-luxury car for a good price and the Azera and Cadenza kind of fit that bill. For me, I liked the exterior of the Azera more (even though it kind of looked like a Toyota Avalon), but the interior on the Azera didn't have a very upscale look to me. When I saw the Cadenza, it has a nice exterior look to it, and the interior looked miles ahead of the Azera for a luxury look. Or maybe I just like the look better.

As for the ride, I agree the Azera was a bit stiffer and noisier on the inside. I think the Azera runs on lower profile tires (which might aide in the preference for the exterior styling), which wouldn't help with the added road noise. And even though I think the Cadenza feels "loose", I'll probably try the "inexpensive" modifications to help in that area. I still like the ride quality though and quietness in the cabin. I put a higher priority on those qualities than feeling the road.

Another reason why I chose the Cadenza was for the rear seat leg room with my drivers seat in my position. The proportions of the car are done well. Some large cars (like the Taurus/MKS, E-class, etc) can't touch the back seat leg room in the Cadenza.

While the car is quiet, I find Kia could have done more with sound deadening. If you look in the Spare Tire wheel well under the trunk carpet (or anywhere under that carpet), there is very little to no sound deadening material. A quick and easy fix for this is to remove the spare and lay down Dynamat (or something similar), and it should quiet the back end of the car significantly (10dbs or more). But I have a feeling there is little sound deadening in various other places (someone did a write up showing the Cadenza's floor boards with the carpets removed). Which amazes me that the car is as quiet as it is.

All in all, if you can pick up a used one at a good price like I did, you'll be very happy with it. I enjoy driving it every day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've really been enjoying my Cadenza for the last year. Bought my '14 in '18, got it for about 50% off the original price. Couldn't be happier. Well, one wish is for slightly more accurate steering, but almost everything else is great.

At the time I bought it, I liked both interior and exterior better than the Azera.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts