Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone -- I just put in an order today for the Cadenza in Smokey Blue, beige leather, no packages. Should take 6-8 weeks, I'm told.

Up until now, I had not seen anything to replace my '99 Mitsubishi Diamante, which I have owned since new. However, Mitsubishi has discontinued the car for several years and parts are getting hard to find. A couple of years ago, a stone thrown up from the highway cracked my windshield, and it took 2 weeks to source a replacement.

So time for a new car. To make a long story short, I started doing my research and came across the K7 in reviews in the foreign press. It sounded like a good car, and I was hoping Kia would sell it in the US -- Edmunds has had a listing for it for a few years. Once it debuted here, the US automotive press gave it mostly favorable reviews, and that's all I needed to get to a Kia dealer for a test drive. I really liked it!

But I needed to compare it to other cars, so I also test drove the Toyota Avalon, Chevy Impala, and Ford Fusion hybrid. Interestingly, I test drove the Avalon when I bought the Diamante, and my reasons for rejecting it then were the same as now -- not as much fun to drive, and a lack of decent standard features for the base car.

The Ford Fusion was a nice car, and green, and I don't have anything really negative to say about it, but nothing grabbed me, either. It didn't help that I had already driven the Cadenza.

The 2014 Chevy Impala was the only car that gave me second thoughts about the Cadenza. I tested it only because Car and Driver and Consumer Reports rated it highly. I wasn't expecting much -- my experience with GM cars was a balky and rusted-out Nova I drove briefly for a job when I was in college. It was a pleasant surprise to discover the new Impala is a really loaded car for the money, strong engine, and a cavernous trunk with seats that fold down. Great acceleration, but the steering just wasn't as crisp as the Cadenza, although it wasn't floaty, either. And its major redesign makes it essentially a first-year model, and that tipped my choice to the Cadenza, since it's been around for a few years outside the US -- enough time to work out any kinks.

When I bought the Diamante, I was drawn to its smooth acceleration and tight steering, its large number of luxury features without the luxury price tag, and its good looks.

The reason I've ordered the Cadenza is for its smooth acceleration and tight steering, its large number of luxury features without the luxury price tag, and its good looks.

I'd say there's a pattern here...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Susan! It sounds like you were pretty careful in your search and you made a good decision in choosing the Cadenza.

We've got some good people here, and in a very short time have accumulated some good threads for you to read.

I can't wait to hear about your experiences with your new car when you start really getting to know it.

You will enjoy it here in our new community.

John

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
welcome to the site Susan, I'm from Houston and a local KIA Salesman... if you ever have any questions, i'll be able to help.

One question who... KIA dealers dont actually do "ORDERING"... they preference cars which means they submit a list of options, colors and such they'd LIKE to have but what they actually get is different. So when you tell you that you are having to wait 6-8 weeks.. why dont they just get one from another dealer and you can have your car in a few days?

just my .02

congrats on the car tho... you'll love it

·
Registered
16 Posts
welcome to the site Susan, I'm from Houston and a local KIA Salesman... if you ever have any questions, i'll be able to help.

One question who... KIA dealers dont actually do "ORDERING"... they preference cars which means they submit a list of options, colors and such they'd LIKE to have but what they actually get is different. So when you tell you that you are having to wait 6-8 weeks.. why dont they just get one from another dealer and you can have your car in a few days?

just my .02

congrats on the car tho... you'll love it
I agree, that seems like a long time. I actually got mine two or three days after I pulled the trigger with the dealer. And I thought it was not a common color combination.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would you do?

I used a car finding service connected with the credit union where I am getting the auto loan to find the best price on a Cadenza. The service directed me to a dealer with the best price and I thought I would take any color, but the car they had at that price was black exterior/black interior, and it was just too sombre. The salesman who drove with me said they could get one in a color I wanted.

So I went back to the car finder service, said I wanted a Smokey Blue with beige interior - could he get it at that price? Yes, but it would take six to eight weeks, since no dealers in my area have the base model in the color I wanted, and the dealer I was working with would have to request it.

So after reading your post, I did a check on AutoTrader, and looked for the color/option/price combination and found one car more than 200 miles away. Should I investigate that or tell the dealer to?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry! I'm more than 800 miles away from Houston. Seriously, looks like no dealer in my area has the base car in that color. I can wait - the Diamanté still runs fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry! I'm more than 800 miles away from Houston. Seriously, looks like no dealer in my area has the base car in that color. I can wait - the Diamanté still runs fine.
it might be worth the drive to go to a dealer that has it, i know I would make the trip :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
it might be worth the drive to go to a dealer that has it, i know I would make the trip :)
I agree, make a weekend getaway out of it. It might even make for a memorable event to look back on. "the great weekend in Houston and driving back in my brand-new awesome Cadenza..."

Maybe fly down and drive back home(?)

Good luck with whatever you decide, Susan!

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer called me up yesterday to say that they are expecting a base Cadenza with the smokey blue/beige interior to be delivered second week in September. At least I have an ETA on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up my smokey blue/w beige interior on Tuesday. Didn't have time to do much but enjoy driving it back and forth to work. But after selling the Diamante earlier today, I was able to grab the manuals and play with the systems, and was impressed all over again!

Even without the extra packages, the Cadenza has so many standard features that really make it stand out. Now to see how long it will take me to master all those features...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I owned one of the earliest Mitsubisihi luxury cars...it was called the Sigma. It came before the Diamante. The Sigma was a 1987...Silver, blue interior...loaded.

Good Luck on your Smokey Blue.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
my dealer

Susan
My dealer got the car I wanted from another dealer and had it brought to his dealership in two days on a car carrier ( no miles added) and at no extra charge.
Show this to your dealer and ask what is wrong with him
Welcome to the cadenza forum

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know it seems strange, but really, the base Cadenza in the blue/beige interior was not to be had in this area. If I wanted the extra packages, I could have had a choice of about 10 in that color combination.

As it was, my dealer did get it from another dealer who had it coming in, and I got it as soon as it was available. It just happened to be several weeks later.

In the meantime, I had lived with the Mitsu Diamante for 14 years; a few more weeks didn't bother me. And it gave me time to advertise the Diamante by word of mouth to colleagues and friends. By the time I got the Cadenza, the Diamante had a buyer, and I got a better price than I would have gotten on trade-in.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Susan enjoy

Susan
I'm sure you will enjoy that blue cadenza. I have one just like it , but with the tech package. it' s a great car, only thing I'd really change would be the gas mileage. All full size cars get about the same mpg so that didn't enter in my decision to buy. Just all the goodies you get for the price,good looks and nice ride

1 - 16 of 16 Posts