Kia Cadenza Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to replace the stock backup camera on a 2014 cadenza or have pictures? I've never replaced a camera before and not the best at troubleshooting wiring issues. I think it is time to replace mine as it has been flickering on and off for a few months and now it has stopped displaying all together. When in reverse nothing displays on the navigational unit. Everything else with the head unit works perfectly. I am out of the warranty period so I rather buy the part and do it myself if it isn't too difficult.

·
Registered
796 Posts
There was a TSB on this issue. I'd contact the Cadenza preferred line and see if you can get it taken care of for free since it was a known issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If the grid lines are displayed when you put it in reverse then it's the camera, which sounds like it was originally the issue. As sh30469 stated, there is a TSB on the camera itself because they get water in them and KIA will pay to replace. I've had mine replaced once and the second time I ended up taking the camera and blowing it out with compressed air which resolved the issue. Now I'm having issues with the display going out completely when in reverse (no grid lines) which Cadenza preferred customer service said was the AVN, which is only covered up to 36,000 miles. It will stop working for a day then come back on so I haven't taken it to the dealer for replacement under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had an issue where my display was acting up as well, Kia had it for about a week before they narrowed down the problem. It was some $12k part inside the infotainment system. It was the last thing they tried because of how expensive it was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will call Kia and see if they can help but I'm at 73k miles so out of warranty. There are no lines showing on the display nothing just black screen. If I was to turn on the radio or change HVAC settings it will show up on the banner at the top but zero display where the camera would display when in reverse.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I will call Kia and see if they can help but I'm at 73k miles so out of warranty. There are no lines showing on the display nothing just black screen. If I was to turn on the radio or change HVAC settings it will show up on the banner at the top but zero display where the camera would display when in reverse.
Did you find anything out from KIA?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you find anything out from KIA?
Yes I called Kia and they wanted me to take the car into a dealer service area for troubleshooting. They didn't really say it was related to a TSB I mentioned or anything else. I haven't done this yet as they won't pay for it. I will do it next time I need something else replaced or repaired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone know how to replace the stock backup camera on a 2014 cadenza or have pictures? I've never replaced a camera before and not the best at troubleshooting wiring issues. I think it is time to replace mine as it has been flickering on and off for a few months and now it has stopped displaying all together. When in reverse nothing displays on the navigational unit. Everything else with the head unit works perfectly. I am out of the warranty period so I rather buy the part and do it myself if it isn't too difficult.
I just wanted to say that I've had my '14 for almost 2 years and have hyper-miled it to around 146,000 miles. The reason I'm telling you this is because in those miles I've had to replace TWO backup cameras and the one I have in there currently needs to be replaced. Bringing my total of back up cameras replaced for my car to THREE. So the one from factory had to be replaced and now the one they replaced that with has stopped working. Everything in my infotainment system works including my parking sensors EXCEPT my backup camera so it's not the infotainment system itself.

I work at a Kia dealership and the techs just say that Kia knows that these cameras are crap and will stop working once they get some water inside them. I've contacted Kia directly and they say that there is really nothing they can do even though this is my third camera in little under two years. They covered my replacement of the first factory camera because my car was under warranty but the once after this one doesn't qualify because it's past their 12 month, 36,000 mile part warranty. I could get that wrong but I'm well past either of those anyway.

If you don't plan on keeping it that long I would recommend you fix it but if you're going to drive it for a while be prepared to replace it a few times...it's about $400 to replace and that's with my employee discount so it can get really spendy fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You keep saying this, and I think that you mean you have put a lot of miles on it, but that's not what hypermile means at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling
Fine....whatever. I put a lot of miles on my car in a short amount of time. Pretty sure you knew what I meant anyway. My point being that my car has a lot of miles and I can tell you what problems I've had that some people haven't encountered yet since some have lower miles.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Lol joegr, I thought it but wasn't going to say it.

As far as cameras are concerned, mine stopped working for about a week or so and magically came back again and has been working ever since. It can't be due to only cold conditions because it worked on some of the coldest day's we've had before and after it stopped working so, I'm not sure. Hopefully yours starts to work again too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured I should update this in case anyone reads this in the future. I went to a dealer and bought the oem backup camera a few months ago. It was over $300. It was easy to replace. After removing the trunk liner you can pop the camera out. As soon as I plugged in the new camera I tested without mounting. It worked without issue. To this day it still works every time I put the car into reverse. I hope I don't need to replace this again in a few years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts