2014 Cadenza: Headlights Shutting Off Randomly While Driving - Kia Cadenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question 2014 Cadenza: Headlights Shutting Off Randomly While Driving

I've recently noticed an issue where my headlights will shut off randomly while driving. I can turn the switch on the knob and they come right back on. Sometimes it will be just the left headlight that will go out, sometimes it will be the right and sometimes it will be both. My fog lights aren't affected nor is the soft white accent light above the headlight bulbs.

I have not been able to determine if there is anything specific that causes them to go out. At first, I felt like it mostly happened while I'm turning and/or going over bump, but while I was stopped a stop light the other night, both lights shut off. I have s a suspicion it might be the light sensor for the automatic lights and or, something to do with the adaptive lights but I'm not really sure. The only reason I think it might be the light sensor is that it seems to be happening more often when I driving down a well light street.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this has already been posted and solved, I apologize. I tried to search but didn't see anything. My local dealership also said they have never heard of this but I don't trust them so who knows.

Thank you

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Never heard of that one. Only thing related that has happened to my car is on a few occasions when starting my car during the daylight, the infotainment screen will stay in the darker "night time" mode. I thought it might have had something to do with the ambient light sensor but I'm not sure and like I said, it's only happened a few times over the course of 50K miles. I just turned off and restarted my car and all was fine. Your problem sounds much more serious and potentially lethal! I would be very close to insisting my dealer pursue this problem. How many miles on your car? I might consider taking steps to report or inform NTSB about this issue. It sounds very serious.

2014 SXL, only mods are after market rims due to recall.

Last edited by onlyjeeps; 10-03-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
If the sensor was kicking while you're stalk setting is in auto, All running lights would turn off. In this case you are only seeing the actual headlight beam going out, one or the other, you stated adaptive, so you would have lux trim or limited, so HID's right? You are dealing with both a ballast and a bulb on both sides. The issue you are describing, would point me to one of those components. Me personally I'd start with replacing the headlight bulbs themselves. A 2014 you're at least 5 if not 6 years on the road. That's a lot of time for HID bulbs. I replaced mine after having the car a couple years just because I felt it was time. I would have to ssearch for it, but there's a couple threads one of them I think mine where we talk about getting the HIDs out. For me it was easier to just drop the whole front bumper cover and unbolt each light housing then work on the bulb while on a bench instead of contorting inside the car. But that's where I would start personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Iíve heard of this happening on bulbs that are going out, if you still have the originals then that would explain it. The thread that MadMax suggested gives both the replacement instructions and some suggestions for HID bulbs, any one of the ones on that list would be great. I wouldnít suggest buying cheap ones off of amazon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page