3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Hyundai & Kia - the Brands to Beat

Great article on how Hyundai & Kia got to where they are today, and what the future looks like:

It mentions Kia poaching Peter Shreyer from Audi, Hyundai getting Thomas Burkle & Albert Bierman from BMW.

https://carbuzz.com/features/why-hyu...he-next-decade

Why Hyundai And Kia Will Be The Brands To Beat In The Next Decade

"Where other brands have merely 'kept up' with each other with each passing generation, Kia and Hyundai have played catchup and are now on a level playing field, and in some cases, on the verge of being class leaders. "

The article ends with:

"If we take their recent progression, their current standing, and their future product plans into account, we'd place the smart money on the fact that in the 5-10 years, Kia and Hyundai aren't just going to be competitors in the general fray, but they're going to be segment leaders, innovators, and benchmarks for brands that until now have been perceived as untouchable. The likes of BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz should underestimate the Korean twins at their own peril Ė and so should you as a discerning car buyer. "

'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Even though that article is almost 2 years old, it is indeed a good one. It gives depth to how Hyundai/Kia have achieved the tremendous growth they've experienced during the last 15 years.

Good catch and worth the 5 min read!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! I found it while searching for news on how Hyundai's N products might result in some hot Kia products. Didn't find that info, but did find this gem of an article. I'm glad you also enjoyed it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 03:36 PM

On the 'N' topic, I recently read, in Car and Driver I think, that Hyundai/Kia is supposed to be building the highest HP 2.0L engine in the industry so far to put in their N line of vehicles. I will try to find the article and link below. As I recall the current leader is the Mercedes AMG 2.0L engine. It has something like 450HP and Hyundai/Kia will be topping that! That's a WOW in my book!
Kia-Driver likes this.

2014 SXL, only mods are after market rims due to recall.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 07:58 PM

I know this isn't our Cadenza or the super powerful 2.0L link I was looking for but oh man, look at this upcoming beauty! 286 HP and 311 Ft lbs with a dual-clutch 8 speed in this size/weight car should be enough for a little fun. :-)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...1-photos-info/
Kia-Driver likes this.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjeeps View Post
I know this isn't our Cadenza or the super powerful 2.0L link I was looking for but oh man, look at this upcoming beauty! 286 HP and 311 Ft lbs with a dual-clutch 8 speed in this size/weight car should be enough for a little fun. :-)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...1-photos-info/
Looks like itíll be a great car! I still think that Kia needs to revise the rear ends of most of their new sedans, I really dislike this along with the new Cadenza and some others. Front looks great though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
What's crazy though is this new Optima still only goes 0-62 in 6.6 seconds. That much torque and AWD it should be as fast as a Maxima which is under 6 seconds.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
What's crazy though is this new Optima still only goes 0-62 in 6.6 seconds. That much torque and AWD it should be as fast as a Maxima which is under 6 seconds.
I agree. The turbo probably spools very slow (by today's standards) much like the 2.0L in my 2011 Sonata did. Once the rpm's passed 2500 the computer would finally allow the engine to really build (peak) power and the tires would lose grip all the way until it would shift to 2nd gear...even after I put fatter tires on it. If you've ridden in a recent Audi (even just an A3) you will see (feel) just how fast the turbo spools and also how fast the transmission shifts! Anyway, my 2011 Sonata spooled so much slower then vs nowadays but I'd be willing to bet Kia's new 2.5L still spools fairly slowly and is at the heart of the slower 0-62 mph times. With 8 gears and dual clutch it shouldn't be the transmission though.

Last edited by onlyjeeps; 12-20-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 12:16 PM

So here's the link to the article talking about how much Mercedes went through to make their 416 HP and 369 TQ 2.0L. After reading that, I can only imagine how much Kia is going to have to do to beat that! Sorry, I still can't find that article though, ugh.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-engine-specs/

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I wonder if it's underrated to not step on the Cadenza and 2.0 Stinger.

Up through '15, the 2.0 turbo Optima SXL was rated at 274hp (& 269 lb-ft torque), then they dropped it to 245hp (260 lb-ft) in 2016. Most likely due to the Cadenza coming out in '14. They wanted to offer larger differentiation between their mass-market and near-luxury options.

Interstingly, the '16 Optima, with lower hp & torque than the '15, is quicker: 6.9 vs 7.2. With the newest one at 6.6, it is getting quicker. The '17+ Cadenza shows here as 6.6, so they'll have to step it up to keep ahead of the Optima. Maybe the 2020 Cadenza will get the new 3.5-liter with 300+ hp (or maybe grab the 3.8 (@311hp) from the V6 K900).

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page