User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Road noise

I know that the 2014 Cadenza is rated to be pretty quiet, but I swear mine isnít. Itís possible iím just being nit picky but mine seems awfully loud on the highway, but only when the carís speed is above 60. Below that is really very quiet, almost no engine noise, and I canít really hear wind noise ever. However, on interstate highways and other areas where iím *legally* going 70+ it seems very loud. Is this just an anomaly with my car, or have other people experienced this too? And has anyone done anything to reduce noise? Iíll do a decibel test later today.

Iím planning on putting some Noico sound dampener in all four doors this week, hopefully that will help some?

Last edited by zjuretich; 09-23-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Tires Tires Tires.

If they are older, get something designed for touring in your next set. I've been on Bridgestone Serenity Plus on this car and my last. The last car I started with a Michelin performance tire when the OEMs wore out, the Michelin's were pretty noisy despite having a good noise rating. When they were done I went back to Firestone told them what I wanted, they had the original Serenity to offer at the time, very quiet, great performer. But they wore down as quick as performance tires. A few sets later They now have a newer rubber compound helps them last a bit longer. But i will say performance isn't what it was with the softer compound. But still wispier quiet.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Tires Tires Tires.

If they are older, get something designed for touring in your next set. I've been on Bridgestone Serenity Plus on this car and my last. The last car I started with a Michelin performance tire when the OEMs wore out, the Michelin's were pretty noisy despite having a good noise rating. When they were done I went back to Firestone told them what I wanted, they had the original Serenity to offer at the time, very quiet, great performer. But they wore down as quick as performance tires. A few sets later They now have a newer rubber compound helps them last a bit longer. But i will say performance isn't what it was with the softer compound. But still wispier quiet.
Good to know. My current tires are getting a bit low, but iím going to make them last through the winter haha. The previous owner put these Continental SureContacts on, theyíre supposed to be fairly quiet but iím not sure if thatís true. They have a major problem with getting flat spots within a couple hours or so, so theyíre rather frustrating, but I donít want to fork out hundreds of dollars for new tires at the moment. Iíve been looking into the Pirelli P7s as they are rated to be fairly quiet, would you still take the Serenityís though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I totally agree with Madmax. It's primarily the tires. And I had the same problem on my Sonata. The higher noise was on concrete highway sections. The tires both cars shipped with new were terrible! Couldn't wait for them to wear out just so I could get much better performing and quieter tires. Also, in the case of the Cadenza, I was not happy with how rough my tires were on the 19" rims so I also upsized the tires when I got the new ones and I couldn't be happier with my decisions! For reference I got General Altimax tires. Have always been a huge Michelin fan but for this car, the Altimax's were the best choice IMHO!

2014 SXL, only mods are after market rims due to recall.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 01:57 PM

Onlyjeeps, you're still on 19's but a different than OEM tire size? What size did you go with and did it rub, or alter the speedometer at all? I'd guess no on the latter, cause it's not like you went from street tires to massive mud tires, but i'm just a curious. I've always liked the well roundedness (pun intended) of 18's, good performance better comfort, and cheaper tire then the 19's every time.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjeeps View Post
I totally agree with Madmax. It's primarily the tires. And I had the same problem on my Sonata. The higher noise was on concrete highway sections. The tires both cars shipped with new were terrible! Couldn't wait for them to wear out just so I could get much better performing and quieter tires. Also, in the case of the Cadenza, I was not happy with how rough my tires were on the 19" rims so I also upsized the tires when I got the new ones and I couldn't be happier with my decisions! For reference I got General Altimax tires. Have always been a huge Michelin fan but for this car, the Altimax's were the best choice IMHO!
Really good info, thank you everyone! When the time comes to replace them, which might come sooner due to this chain, iím definitely going to be looking into lol of these tires.
Just as a side note, has anyone done any noise dampening material like Noico or any MLV of sort?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjuretich View Post
Iíve been looking into the Pirelli P7s as they are rated to be fairly quiet, would you still take the Serenityís though?
As to would I go back to the Serenity, maybe. My one major concern with regard to tires is availability in the event one is damaged. I've always stuck with Firestone/Bridgestone simply because they are everywhere, and if you're on a popular tire and popular size, they can usually get them there same day. If you've ever had a tire damaged beyond a patch repair, you know it sucks waiting days to get that resolved. I've had Serenity and Serenity Plus for 3 sets on this car, and one set on the previous car. I do feel like I'm missing the best of both worlds. I may have 15k left on these tires, so I'll likely get one more set on the Cadenza before she's too high mileage to keep. So I've been researching. I like everything I've read about these, but I don't know anyone that has actually driven on them yet, but I get the impression the "best of both worlds" in tire life, wet and dry performance, and quiet are all there:

Nitto Motivo
https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-...formance-tire/
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
As to would I go back to the Serenity, maybe. My one major concern with regard to tires is availability in the event one is damaged. I've always stuck with Firestone/Bridgestone simply because they are everywhere, and if you're on a popular tire and popular size, they can usually get them there same day. If you've ever had a tire damaged beyond a patch repair, you know it sucks waiting days to get that resolved. I've had Serenity and Serenity Plus for 3 sets on this car, and one set on the previous car. I do feel like I'm missing the best of both worlds. I may have 15k left on these tires, so I'll likely get one more set on the Cadenza before she's too high mileage to keep. So I've been researching. I like everything I've read about these, but I don't know anyone that has actually driven on them yet, but I get the impression the "best of both worlds" in tire life, wet and dry performance, and quiet are all there:

Nitto Motivo
https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-...formance-tire/
Wow, those do look like really good all around tires! Looks like my decision for a good pair of tires is getting harder and harder. Iím definitely going to consider these when it comes time to replace mine. Maybe iíll ďaccidentallyĒ drive a bit more spiritedly these next few weeks to wear down my tires faster. Iím almost to the wear bar already. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjuretich View Post
I know that the 2014 Cadenza is rated to be pretty quiet, but I swear mine isnít. Itís possible iím just being nit picky but mine seems awfully loud on the highway, but only when the carís speed is above 60. Below that is really very quiet, almost no engine noise, and I canít really hear wind noise ever. However, on interstate highways and other areas where iím *legally* going 70+ it seems very loud. Is this just an anomaly with my car, or have other people experienced this too? And has anyone done anything to reduce noise? Iíll do a decibel test later today.

Iím planning on putting some Noico sound dampener in all four doors this week, hopefully, that will help some?
Would love to see pics of the install process
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I drive Nokian with the snow flake so they are allowable while driving in the mountains ( which I never do in the winter ) but I do find them a tad noisy especially when driving over the separators on the highway, sometimes it feels like I have a flat . However I love my tires and the company I bought them from Kal Tires was great.There road hazard warranty really works as they replaced a tire that went flat and couldn't be fixed without any charge..Well back to point ----- noise=tires

Last edited by funnyman7915; 09-25-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page