Adaptive cruise behavior - Kia Cadenza Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Adaptive cruise behavior

Loving my 2014 Cadenza Premium.


Most favorite feature has been the adaptive cruise control system, hands down! Use it even in bumper-to-bumper traffic all the time.


The system almost always does a flawless job at detecting the car in front. However, after rigorous testing, I have realized that under one circumstance, the car essentially fails to see that there's a car in the front: that happens when I set a speed while no car in front of me is moving. Let's say I engage and set the system at 30 MPH with no car in front of me. Then, I start approaching a whole bunch of cars that are already stopped at the light. In this specific scenario, the car totally fails to realize that it's got to stop, and I can tell that's the case by looking in the dash and realizing that there is no car icon.


It's kind of scary because in this scenario, the car simply maintains its speed - assuming there is no car in front - and if I don't intervene, well, the result will not be pretty!


Anybody else experience this? Should I get this checked out?



As I said, this is the only glitch I have noticed so far. Other than this exact scenario, the system does a marvelous job, as long as there is a tiny bit of car movement in the front.
Alan14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
In 2014 that feature was actually a very new feature for a lot of car manufactures. There was also no emergency stop features available yet. I think you are experiencing the growing pain of an emerging technology, in that it works as designed, and wasn't designed to pickup full stop obstacles yet.

Of course that is pure speculation on my part...
MadMax is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:40 PM
Member
 
iaw94117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: El Mirage, AZ.
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan14 View Post
Let's say I engage and set the system at 30 MPH with no car in front of me. Then, I start approaching a whole bunch of cars that are already stopped at the light. In this specific scenario, the car totally fails to realize that it's got to stop, and I can tell that's the case by looking in the dash and realizing that there is no car icon.
So you're saying if you set the system with a car in front of you then during travel that car comes to a complete stop your car will recognize it and stop accordingly? If that's the case I think you should have it looked at.

I don't think it should matter if you set the system with a vehicle in front of you or not, the system should continuously be refactoring data it's collecting and making the appropriate adjustments. It might just require a software update.

Here's some info on Advance Smart Cruise Control, the term given by Kia for Adaptive Cruise Control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_cruise_control

Iaw94117
iaw94117 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I have never had that problem I love that system
funnyman7915 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
First let me say, I've never had that problem either, however, I've never used the cruise control in stop and go traffic or where the car would need to come to a complete stop. In fact, I didn't know our car had the ability to come to a complete stop since it does not have the emergency braking feature (which was available in 2014 on some vehicles - I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee which had both functions...maybe MadMax meant in the Kia/Hyundai lineup).

Anyway, I wanted to comment that I actually hate the Kia auto cruise control system in my 14' Cadenza. Especially compared to the above mentioned Jeep system. The Jeep was so much smoother in handling approaching slower cars with the deceleration/acceleration actions. My Kia senses the upcoming car (icon in the dash) but actually waits so long to decelerate that it applies the brakes to match the new speed! And this happens even with a small difference in speeds, not just a large one. For instance say my cruise is set at 60 in a 55 and my car is approaching a car that is doing the posted 55, only 5 mph difference, my car will see that car far off, probably 15 secs or more the icon is lit, but it will wait until is just about on top of that car and then apply the brakes instead drifting and or decelerating and then braking if needed.

Full disclosure...our cars only rely on a camera based system for accuracy of this system whereas the Jeep system has a camera as well as Lidar in the front fascia. Still no excuse in my opinion.

If this is just my experience and you all have a different experience, please let me know so I can get mine recalibrated or something! Thanks!

2014 SXL, only mods are after market rims due to recall.
onlyjeeps is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Yooshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjeeps View Post
First let me say, I've never had that problem either, however, I've never used the cruise control in stop and go traffic or where the car would need to come to a complete stop. In fact, I didn't know our car had the ability to come to a complete stop since it does not have the emergency braking feature (which was available in 2014 on some vehicles - I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee which had both functions...maybe MadMax meant in the Kia/Hyundai lineup).

Anyway, I wanted to comment that I actually hate the Kia auto cruise control system in my 14' Cadenza. Especially compared to the above mentioned Jeep system. The Jeep was so much smoother in handling approaching slower cars with the deceleration/acceleration actions. My Kia senses the upcoming car (icon in the dash) but actually waits so long to decelerate that it applies the brakes to match the new speed! And this happens even with a small difference in speeds, not just a large one. For instance say my cruise is set at 60 in a 55 and my car is approaching a car that is doing the posted 55, only 5 mph difference, my car will see that car far off, probably 15 secs or more the icon is lit, but it will wait until is just about on top of that car and then apply the brakes instead drifting and or decelerating and then braking if needed.

Full disclosure...our cars only rely on a camera based system for accuracy of this system whereas the Jeep system has a camera as well as Lidar in the front fascia. Still no excuse in my opinion.

If this is just my experience and you all have a different experience, please let me know so I can get mine recalibrated or something! Thanks!
Interesting, I've never used the Jeep system, but always though the Cadenza's system was smooth. Your description sounds like how mine operates - maybe since this is the only Smart Cruise Control I've ever used, our expectations are a little different. At any rate, I've come to know how the system operates, and can anticipate how it will react in most situations.


You're wrong on the Lidar - the unit is tucked behind the front bumper (not visible in any way from the outside). I circled the unit in the attached photo, taken when I had my bumper off:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67632224_10220431425795203_8012243615034114048_o.jpg (67.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 67870915_10220431526757727_3305778122334404608_o.jpg (173.6 KB, 11 views)
Yooshaw is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I have found that when driving in snow the system fails as snow builds up and then covers and freezes over the two "radar" openings on front bumper . Other than that I also love the system but only use on freeway driving with speeds above 30MPH
funnyman7915 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshaw View Post
You're wrong on the Lidar - the unit is tucked behind the front bumper (not visible in any way from the outside). I circled the unit in the attached photo, taken when I had my bumper off:
Interesting...I will have to look for that piece. Thank you for the info! What I said about a camera only system was based on a graphic I saw back when the system was first used by Hyundai/Kia and that showed the an image as seen from the front windshield that showed lines traveling from the camera behind the mirror to the vehicle in front of it. The description with the graphic explained how the camera could detect the distances to vehicles, see brake lights and headlights all helping the system recognize what was happening in order to react. It never mentioned anything about Lidar being part of the system. Now maybe that was an earlier system? I don't know. I do know we don't have rear facing Lidar, only the camera on the trunk to activate the blind spot monitors, which we all know have so many false positives during rain, fog, snow, etc. that it's almost annoying. Not to praise the Jeep system of 14' but those did nothing of the sort using rear facing Lidar. They always worked perfect and were very accurate with the car positioning where ours is a little suspect I believe.

In any case, overall, I am happy enough with our automatic cruise control system and much happier with it than without!

2014 SXL, only mods are after market rims due to recall.
onlyjeeps is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Yooshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjeeps View Post
Interesting...I will have to look for that piece. Thank you for the info! What I said about a camera only system was based on a graphic I saw back when the system was first used by Hyundai/Kia and that showed the an image as seen from the front windshield that showed lines traveling from the camera behind the mirror to the vehicle in front of it. The description with the graphic explained how the camera could detect the distances to vehicles, see brake lights and headlights all helping the system recognize what was happening in order to react. It never mentioned anything about Lidar being part of the system. Now maybe that was an earlier system? I don't know. I do know we don't have rear facing Lidar, only the camera on the trunk to activate the blind spot monitors, which we all know have so many false positives during rain, fog, snow, etc. that it's almost annoying. Not to praise the Jeep system of 14' but those did nothing of the sort using rear facing Lidar. They always worked perfect and were very accurate with the car positioning where ours is a little suspect I believe.

In any case, overall, I am happy enough with our automatic cruise control system and much happier with it than without!
There are sensors in the back for blind spot monitors - saw it in the service manual. There's one on each corner of the rear bumper.
Yooshaw is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Yooshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Yooshaw is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome