3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
HID headlight replacement

I have the HID/Xenon headlights on my 2014 Cadenza, and the previous owner replaced them with really cheap bulbs that are yellow, have a very bad cutoff, and are not very bright. Iíve been looking around for better bulbs but have been unable to come to a solid conclusion on which ones would be best. does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably a bulb in the 5000-6000 range (I like white light haha) and something as bright as possible. I donít care too much for the price as long as it isnít absurdly expensive. If anyone has any recommendations I would be extremely grateful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
If performance is your number one priority, then the bulbs you'll get rang in Kelvin from 4200-4800. Stay away from any of the lesser name brand bulbs. Phillips and Osram are kings in the HID bulb market.

The Osram NightBreaker Laser Xenerc seem to provide the best output through testing, with the Philips Exttreme Vision Gen 2 coming in behind it.

Here's a video that does a comparison. These are with D2S bulbs, but the D1S version should perform the same.

https://youtu.be/P0XGzDyMg_c

If the whiter color is what your after, the the Osram CBI, CBH, and CBB may be worth a look.

It's also important to purchase from a reputable source, there tons of fakes on the market.

Last edited by Yooshaw; 05-23-2019 at 06:48 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure the Osram Nightbreaker is what I have in mine as well. I did the swap a couple years ago at best recollection. Extremely satisfied with them, even this much time later, they are holding up well.

I found it necessary to just drop the whole bumper cover and pull the light housing out of the car and work on it on a bench. Those brackets holding in the HID's require tool access, and I just couldn't come up with a way to do it while still on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Hi, the Osram nightbreaker is a good purchase, I've had them in my car for about 4 years now without an issue. If you're going to purchase them buy them from TheRetroFitSource, they are a reputable company to buy from. Avoid buying from Amazon or Ebay. Also, you could replace the lights with LED Lights https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h1...ect_restrict=1

The LED lights are instant on, whereas the HID's take a few seconds to reach full brightness. I have noticed that LED lights are usually a little bit brighter as well.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
For the best bang for your buck, I would recommend the Morimoto XB HID D1S Bulbs that we carry on our site. For $75 including shipping and 2-year warranty, it's hard to beat. Those are 100% plug & play & include shipping as well, and free replacement should you have any issues.

If you want to go brighter, these would be 20% brighter than stock, and are the OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID D1S Bulbs. We have these in stock as well and they also include free shipping and a 2-year warranty.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I ordered the OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID from K5 back in December of 2014. Perfect color range and visibility if you prefer a bright white. Haven't had any issues with them in now going on 5 years, that's pretty hard to beat.
K5 Optima Store likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passive View Post
I ordered the OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID from K5 back in December of 2014. Perfect color range and visibility if you prefer a bright white. Haven't had any issues with them in now going on 5 years, that's pretty hard to beat.
Thank you for this comment!!
Passive likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
No problem! I just can't believe it's been almost 5 years. I remember installing them like it was yesterday lol.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry for the late response, I sent one a few days ago but apparently it didn't go through. Thanks everyone for your help. I've taken what you've all said into account and I've done a little bit of research on my own and I think that when I get the opportunity to I'm going to buy the Osram CBB, they have the color that I want and a few comparison videos actually show them being slightly brighter than the CBH, CBI, and original Osram bulbs. I wasn't really able to find any Osram HID bulbs on TheRetroFitSource but I found the ones I needed on HIDconcept, hopefully this is a good website because they're having a really good sale over the fourth of July week. Thanks again!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjuretich View Post
Sorry for the late response, I sent one a few days ago but apparently it didn't go through. Thanks everyone for your help. I've taken what you've all said into account and I've done a little bit of research on my own and I think that when I get the opportunity to I'm going to buy the Osram CBB, they have the color that I want and a few comparison videos actually show them being slightly brighter than the CBH, CBI, and original Osram bulbs. I wasn't really able to find any Osram HID bulbs on TheRetroFitSource but I found the ones I needed on HIDconcept, hopefully this is a good website because they're having a really good sale over the fourth of July week. Thanks again!

Awesome!!! I haven't seen the CBB's yet, but if they're slightly brighter I'd probably go for them too. Let us know how the install process goes, I had my dealership do it for 20 bucks about 4 years ago. After they got done they said they should have charged me more because it isn't as easy as just plugging them in (their words not mine). Don't forget some before/after pictures!!
EDIT: Totally forgot to mention that K5OS is a good company to buy from as well. I've purchased some LED's from them, and called them a couple of times for some questions.

Last edited by brandontaz2k2; 07-04-2019 at 02:16 AM.